PDA

View Full Version : New Paint Care

Pages : [1] 2

CTDiesel
12-03-2007, 09:17 PM
How long should the paint cure before applying a sealant like AJT? I`ve been told to wait anywhere from 30-90 days, but I really think this timeframe does not apply for a modern bc/cc paint system.

imported_JoshVette
12-03-2007, 09:34 PM
New cars are typically heat cured at the plant..... you can wax/seal them straight after you buy it.

If you`re talking about repainting, then I`d wait 30-60 days for it to cure. If colder out, a bit longer.

Accumulator
12-04-2007, 02:24 PM
There`s a thread about this where MirrorFinishMan spoke directly with the paint manufacturers (and there are a zillion other threads on this topic too ;) ).

Repaint, baked or not- wait at least 90-120 days minimum. I usually wait at least four months and sometimes more.

Factory paint- go ahead and wax right away. It`s completely different stuff compared with aftermarket paint, different formulation, baked at a much higher temperature too.

ricka
12-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Question on glazing and new repainted hood.

I`ve used either Meguiar`s #5 and #7 after washing with ONR but curious if it really matters. I notice zero difference appearance-wise on the metallic silver and since glazes have zero protective capabilities and little durability, its my impression that applying it is simply a waste of time.

Beginning to think its just a stop-gap to satisfy my waxing jones until the paint outgassing is complete (I do love to wax).

Any thoughts?

Accumulator
12-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Question on glazing and new repainted hood.

I`ve used either Meguiar`s #5 and #7 after washing with ONR but curious if it really matters. I notice zero difference appearance-wise on the metallic silver and since glazes have zero protective capabilities and little durability, its my impression that applying it is simply a waste of time...Any thoughts?

I believe that glazes *do* provide some degree of protection, minimal though it may be. Any sacrificial layer is better than nothing IMO (e.g., sure wouldn`t want a bird bomb on utterly bare paint if I could have it on top of glaze instead).

When I did some experiments claying through #5, it took a little doing to get through it (with Sonus green clay), so I read that as indicating that it was leaving more stuff behind than I would have expected. And I notice different surface characteristics (slickness, some differences in beading, etc.) between glazed/not areas. Some of these differences were even visible after a *very* gentle wash (say, with something like Meg`s #00), though it`s a good idea to redo the glazing after any wash.

If nothing else, [stuff] doesn`t adhere as well when the paint is glazed because those Trade Secret Oils are on top of the paint.

ricka
12-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Accumulator;

I guess that does make some sense. And even though the hood has a nice clear coat covering (so not literally bare paint exposed) it probably doesn`t hurt having something on it.

Boy, 2-3 months not waxing is gonna be tough!

dmcphee07SI
12-16-2007, 01:07 PM
i had to get a new hood and bumper for my civic this fall. The body shop was using Dupont paint and baking it to cure and they said wait 2 weeks before putting a clear bra on for it to cure. I am pretty sure they put some kind of wax on it tho because my hood beaded just as good as the rest of my car and it had a 3 week old coat of Natty`s blue on it.

Saintlysins
12-16-2007, 02:21 PM
I back “Accumulator’s†replies regarding glazing and wait times – although I wouldn’t go more than 90 days unless it’s one of those custom paint jobs with multiple layers of colors, those take forever to completely gas-off and cure.

Lowejackson
12-16-2007, 06:40 PM
.....Boy, 2-3 months not waxing is gonna be tough!

But you still have the engine, wheels, tyres, interior, exhaust, wheel wells, lights, glass, trim, suspension etc to clean in the mean time

GlossyTundra
12-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Zaino and OCW are safe to use on re-paints. I used it on my truck one week after I got it painted, no problems.

Accumulator
12-17-2007, 12:59 PM
...the hood has a nice clear coat covering (so not literally bare paint exposed) it probably doesn`t hurt having something on it.

Ah, but remember that the clearcoat *is* your paint ;) Anything you can do to protect it will stave off having to polish it, and polishing it will *eventually* thin it. It`s not like you can use up all the clearcoat; if you remove ~0.05 mil (that`s only .0005") it will be subject to failure.

i had to get a new hood and bumper for my civic this fall. The body shop was using Dupont paint and baking it to cure and they said wait 2 weeks before putting a clear bra on for it to cure. I am pretty sure they put some kind of wax on it tho because my hood beaded just as good as the rest of my car and it had a 3 week old coat of Natty`s blue on it.

Fresh paint is nice and smooth, with no surface flaws (well, it *oughta* be at least :D ), so yeah, it`ll bead water. Any glaze will do that too. So it`s not like they *must`ve* waxed it.

IIRC 3M says to wait 6 months before applying the PPF. IIRC#2 Dupont was one of the companies MirrorFinishMan queried when he got the straight story about how long it takes for paint to *really* cure.

dmcphee07SI
12-20-2007, 10:51 PM
it was nice and smooth until i put the lights on it, then i saw the swirls lol, my hood is alright but my bumper looks like the used steel wool , the bumper is alot softer than my hood aswell? must not of baked them the same i guess

Accumulator
12-21-2007, 12:51 PM
it was nice and smooth until i put the lights on it, then i saw the swirls lol, my hood is alright but my bumper looks like the used steel wool , the bumper is alot softer than my hood aswell? must not of baked them the same i guess

It seems odd that the bumper`s paint is so much softer than that on the hood. Hope they even out as the paint cures :think: Also hope the marring on the bumper isn`t under the paint and starting to show through as the paint cures.

BobD
12-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Wait wait wait! My painter told me it was 100% safe to wax the car the day I picked it up so I listened to him. My paint NEVER cured properly. The clear was so soft a year later cotton ball dropped on the paint would scratch it, not literally but close!

dmcphee07SI
12-23-2007, 11:20 PM
its safe to polish fresh paint right? i am not sure why the bumper is softer either, i thought maybe they didn`t bake it because it was plastic but baked the hood. They did a good job at painting the parts its just they got covered with dust sitting in the shop after and didn`t wash them good. If they are under the clear they are going to be repainting them, but i am pretty sure it wont be needed. How long does it take for clear to fully harden?