PDA

View Full Version : Very Alarming Discovery!

Pages : [1] 2

ricka
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Awhile back, I noticed some weird bubbling and flaking on my `07 Audi A6 hood. First the dealer thought it was merely rock chips. However several excellent detailers thought it was a paint defect as the paint and clearcoat was flaking away.

So, I took it back to the dealer for another look see. They brought in their body shop guy who agreed it was a paint defect and repainted the hood. Thankfully the dealer covered the cost.

What was surprising/alarming was the SHEETS of old paint the body shop returned. Obviously, normal paint is sanded off before repainting. This time he said the old paint literally peeled off in large sheets. Couldn`t believe it! (Sorry no pics).

Then, he explained how it happened. At the port there are thousands of cars. Some will have defects where body shops on site will correct the defects. Unfortunately, there are some that choose the cheap shortcut version of simply painting over the original paint! The process is called SCUFF AND SHOOT instead of removing the original paint. Sigh.

I can`t fault the dealer---how would they know?--but it does make one just a little paranoid when even buying a new car. No VIN records will show the shabby work or even that any work was done at all.

Hopefully, the crappy port body shop only worked on the hood. Haven`t seen any signs of other problems on the rest of the car but SHEESH!

Not to make everyone paranoid, but still wanted you to at least be aware of it. Good news is the body shop did a fantastic job and color matching (metallic silver) on the hood and now I know it was applied properly. Only downside is waiting about 8 weeks to wax again.

Guess from reading several posts ONR Meguiar`s #5 Glaze seems to be okay to use in the meantime.

Good times, no?

Paulie Walnuts
12-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Thats messed up. Shows how wonderful our society is.

jtford95
12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Yea that does suck!! The paint damage could of happened in transit and just fixed it just to get it delivered. I can`t imagine the factory doing something like that. Glad it was fixed properly.

imported_Blake
12-03-2007, 11:40 AM
How much money do you have to spend to get treated like that? What a shame. Manufacturers have no right treating a customer like that. I HOPE it was fixed properly. If you have any more grief I`d get good and aggressive.

ricka
12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, I`d expect manufacturers to supervise any after factory work more closely. Again, who`s to know once it leaves the port? Doesn`t sound like anyone inspects this stuff and it would be interesting to see if any paper trail records the work--although I doubt it. Just glad my dealer did the right thing and covered the repaint. You can bet they`ll let the manufacturer rep see the sheets of peeled paint.

kaval
12-03-2007, 12:11 PM
That is pretty crazy!

I detailed a new Civic Hybrid, and the roof was covered in fish eyes. I couldn`t believe it!

imported_JoshVette
12-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Rick, now I`m even more glad that you took it back to the dealership. Sounds like a good dealership as well to fix you up like that.

I knew it was a defect, but can`t believe the paint peeled off like that, wow. That`s the first I`ve ever heard of anything like that from a new car.

Glad they got you all taken care of.

Josh

Grimm
12-03-2007, 12:42 PM
By chance is the hood aluminum? That may be the culprit. Typically it doesn`t show for a couple years, but if the aluminum isn`t primed properly the paint will bubble and lift off.

ricka
12-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Josh: Yes you were correct. Your skilled eye caught the defect even though it was relatively small. The body shop owner brought me a whole pile of paint sheets! The dealer`s eyes sure bugged out.

Grimm: Not sure if the hood is aluminum although I don`t think it matters what the hood material is in this instance since the new paint was sprayed over the original with absolutely no prep work involved.

Makes me want to take an investigative trip to a port and secretly watch how cars are prepared (or covered up) before sending to the dealers...

Maybe its like restaurants. Whatever goes on in the kitchen would amaze you. Unfortunately I worked in the biz for awhile and witnessed some interesting things. Then again, I`ve never been sick via bad restaurant food either.

Grimm
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
So it was for sure a repaint? What I was getting at asking if it was aluminum is that if the hood wasn`t primed properly at the factory, the factory paint will bubble and flake off. Pontiac Bonnevilles and Oldsmobile Auroras are notorius for that problem. But like I said, I`ve never heard of it happening on a car so new.

imported_JoshVette
12-03-2007, 02:42 PM
I`m not a body shop expert, but I`d bet when they repainted it the first time, they didn`t sand the surface prior.

In my understanding, you have to sand it harshly in order for the paint to stick when respraying. Sounds like the first repaint went overtop a smooth clean surface and didn`t properly bond to the surface.

Kind of like having traction on turf or grass in sports, you need a rough surface like a cleat or spikes to provide proper traction, if you used a slick surface like a dress shoe you`d have no traction when needed and would slip right off like the paint on your hood came off in sheets.

Glad you`re fixed up.

Josh

ricka
12-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Yes, that`s what the body shop owner said. Just a quick "scuff" of the original paint and the repaint applied on top...

Accumulator
12-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I wonder if the [hacks who reshot it] reapplied transit film :think:

I`d sorta doubt it, and that`s one more argument for taking new cars "in the plastic".

imported_Blake
12-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Don`t forget you are talking Audi here. Scuff and Paint is OK for "Oh Oh! Better get.......

I would be furious if a dealer or manufacturer would put up with this kind of cheap crap especially on a new Audi.

Years ago I bought a Chrysler Magic Wagon and there was a flaw in the paint on the right door and slider. I explained to the dealer how it would be repainted or he could buy it back. It was stripped completetely and painted properly from the ground up in an independant shop. Cost was probably 5 times a scuff and paint but those panels were flawless. I owned the vehicle for 7 years and the paint was as good on the day I traded it as the day I got it out of the paint shop. I really think a "scuff" should be up the dealer`s or manufacturer`s duff.

imported_Picus
12-03-2007, 03:05 PM
It`s not the manufacturers, generally. Here in Canada if the shipping co`s insurance covers the repair, they don`t have to disclose it to anyone; not the dealer, the manufacturer, or the buyer. I`ve come across a few brand new cars with issues. In any event, I am glad you got it sorted out.