PDA

View Full Version : Glass Polishes

eddie926
12-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Has anyone ever used any of the glass polishes like Diamondite, and do they work?

My `95Camry XLE (that I bought used) has a lot of fine scratches and pitting on the windshield. You can see scratches that follow the windshield wipers like the previous owner must have run them really dirty, etc. No matter how well I clean, the glass is always kind of hazy.

My other car`s windshield was like this(only not as bad) until last year when I replaced it. After I got the new windshield I was thinking man, I wish I`d done this a couple of years ago.

I`m just wondering if I can correct this with glass polish or if I should just spring for the new windshield.

imported_smprince1
12-01-2007, 10:07 AM
I`ve had decent luck removing water spots and hazing using glass polish.

Scratches and pitting, my experience is that these cannot be easily removed by polishing.

Paulie Walnuts
12-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Ived used the Zaino glass polish and it works very nice. The cons are that if you use a polisher it drys quick and can flake white. It can do this by hand as well but the key is to polish and then remove. It really does work great.

pt91
12-01-2007, 10:56 AM
i hv used this (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-pro-glass-kit.html) system to remove scratches with a rotary. don`t heat up the glass too much and be careful.

i think eastwood also has products for this. they do not work on chips.

Cleaning Fool
12-01-2007, 11:07 AM
If the windshield bothers you that much. I would just yank it and install a new one

eddie926
12-01-2007, 12:29 PM
If the windshield bothers you that much. I would just yank it and install a new one

That`s what I was leaning towards, particularly since it`s a "sure thing", but it`s $200+ so I was wondering if I could fix it for $50 or so. I`d hate to spend the money on the polishes though, only to be disappointed and end up getting a new windshield anyway. That`s why I was checking to see what anyone else`s experience was.

maxi
12-02-2007, 03:56 AM
autoglym glass polish for best result .

pingable
12-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Anyone know what is the difference between *glass polish* and a fine finishing polish on glass ? Have Autoglym - used it 3x - never liked application each time. Flashes off way too quickly even on a cold cool windshield.

Plan on trying Menz. 106 or 85rd next season.

Cleaning Fool
12-02-2007, 10:43 AM
I`ve used Autoglym, and its ok if you want to remove oils, smudges, wiper tracks, etc. But as far as pitting and scratches, in my expereince, its not happening. Ante up and replace would be my choice

Lowejackson
12-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I really like the Autoglym but in this case it will not help. I guess the two options are to either get a polishing kit or replace the glass. The risk with polishing is the potential for damaging the clarity of the glass but it is cheaper than replacing the entire unit, unless you intend to claim off the insurance

Paulie Walnuts
12-02-2007, 03:41 PM
autoglym glass polish for best result .Is that like a clear or opaque liquid or is it a thicker like Zaino