PDA

View Full Version : D**n Ashes!

imported_RedlineIRL
11-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Well there`s a large building fire going on maybe 1/2 a mile or so from my house and there`s ash geting on it and a little bit of small dots of black crap. I`m guessing it`s ash too or some other contaminant garbage.:angry Lately it`s been getting into the freezing temperatures overnight, and it`s in the high 20s now. Since my car is slightly wet from the frost on it, is it hurting anything? Could this stuff possibly etch or stain into my finish fairly quickly? Not having a garage to pull it into sucks.

Xtreme-Klean
11-30-2007, 12:49 AM
I would not let the ash sit overnight in moist enviroment. What I suggest is a quick rinse of water if you don`t have time to do a wash. This will remove most of the ash.

I got the same issue since the SoCal wildfire. It was snowing ashes all day.

imported_RedlineIRL
11-30-2007, 12:59 AM
I would not let the ash sit overnight in moist enviroment. What I suggest is a quick rinse of water if you don`t have time to do a wash. This will remove most of the ash.

I got the same issue since the SoCal wildfire. It was snowing ashes all day.

Well it`s still going, so I can`t do anything tonight. I won`t be able to do anything in the morning either since it will be below freezing. I could take it to a copin-op at lunch, but that will probably leave water spots all over. I really don`t like to use them anyways, and I`ve never taken this car to one. Maybe it`s my only option until I have a chance to wash it on Saturday.:(

wannafbody
11-30-2007, 09:42 AM
ash is quite potent and will etch paint

velobard
11-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Sucks to have the paint messed up, but if you have comprehensive coverage you should be able to any damage fixed. It would be nice if you could file an insurance claim against the policy on the building.

imported_RedlineIRL
11-30-2007, 10:14 PM
I did a thorough wash using Z7, and was able to clean everything up fine from what I can tell. Should the wash have gotten everything off and neutralize anything that could be harmful?

Do you all honestly thing my paint got screwed up from this? It`s not like my car was covered in ash, just a little bit of pieces here and there that was caried by the wind.

Xtreme-Klean
11-30-2007, 10:43 PM
The wash should be good enough to clean off the minor ash you received. Plus, since you must of had wax on the car before the ash, this will protect it from damage.

Read this quote about ashes from Mike Phillips who is the technical trainer at Meguiars.

"Fire Ash from wood and other sources can be abrasive in allowed to accumulate and form a film on the car. (add a little overnight dew and you`ll get a film, not light dust). So best bet would be to use plenty of water and wash the ash off, second best option would be to remove with a generous supply of a mist and wipe quick detailer.

One of our chemists scraped some Ash off a car and tested it for pH and he said it had a high alkaline level, enough to cause damage if allowed to stay on the finish for any length of time. This is from memory so I`ll ask him tomorrow when I`m in the office for Thursday Night`s Open Garage."

Taken from: Meguiar`s Online - Re: Ash? (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/post/993.aspx)

BradUF
11-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Whats wrong with the forum I can`t make new threads..

imported_RedlineIRL
11-30-2007, 11:39 PM
The wash should be good enough to clean off the minor ash you received. Plus, since you must of had wax on the car before the ash, this will protect it from damage.

Read this quote about ashes from Mike Phillips who is the technical trainer at Meguiars.

"Fire Ash from wood and other sources can be abrasive in allowed to accumulate and form a film on the car. (add a little overnight dew and you`ll get a film, not light dust). So best bet would be to use plenty of water and wash the ash off, second best option would be to remove with a generous supply of a mist and wipe quick detailer.

One of our chemists scraped some Ash off a car and tested it for pH and he said it had a high alkaline level, enough to cause damage if allowed to stay on the finish for any length of time. This is from memory so I`ll ask him tomorrow when I`m in the office for Thursday Night`s Open Garage."

Taken from: Meguiar`s Online - Re: Ash? (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/post/993.aspx)

I did apply another layer of carnuba a month or so ago, so I hope I`m good. Thanks for the link.

Do you all think I should use a clay bar or cleaner wax ASAP to get any possible contaminants out, or should I be ok?