PDA

View Full Version : Need Cleaning Techniq`s on Rims/Brk Rotors

Saintlysins
11-29-2007, 06:12 PM
I’m pretty anal about how I want the car to look as good a couple days after using it as it did when I first finished the detail. One of my biggest pet-peeves is the brake-dust-sludge that gets trapped in high performance rotors when cleaning. This only seems to comes out after a quick run up to 35/40 MPH and then some hard braking. Not only does this release (sling) all that sludge onto the inner rim, but it will also get all the ‘flash-rust’ off the rotors.

Immediately, back into the garage/driveway and with some QD, proceed to wipe out the rims. This is also a good time to check for any trapped water (in the mirrors, grill, wiper cowl, etc.) that has sprayed the car and may leave spots. *In My Opinion* this will keep the rims looking great several days later under average use and not ‘sludge’ or ‘dust’ them with all the pasty or dried crud/sludge and flash-rust the next time the car (or customer) drives off.

My annual rim maintenance is as follows: Twice a year (and/or new tires) my rims are yanked off, compounded, 2 stages of polish, (all done with separate Power Balls), 3 coats of P21S (3 to 5 days apart), and 2 coats of Rejex 1 day apart, then additional applications of Rejex almost every 4/6 weeks. Just after using the car, I blow the rims off with the air compressor (125 psi) which I find a great technique to keep them ‘looking’ good till the next wash.

So ... anyone with a different technique or critique? Please elaborate.

Accumulator
11-29-2007, 07:13 PM
I use sealants on the wheels and calipers (usually KSG, but 4* UPP on the S8). While I`m a big fan of carnaubas, I find that the sealants hold up a lot better than waxes, even my beloved Collinite 476S. A good four layers of sealant, refreshed with a sealant spray from time to time, work well for me, and I do something like 4* UGE or FK425 after every wash.

JBs
11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
i hear jetseal is amazing for wheels.

that guy that detailed the r8 used it and it looked very nice!

Saintlysins
11-29-2007, 09:19 PM
I forgot about JetSeal --- I wanted to try 2 rims with Rejex & the other two with JetSeal but forgot all about it.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I`ll order some, do a beta-test and post results.

MattPersman
11-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Prime + AJT is what I have been using