PDA

View Full Version : Using a glaze with an AIO and a sealant

Pages : [1] 2

Bert
11-29-2007, 05:42 PM
I really like how a glaze gives people`s cars a deeper wetter look. My question is, how do you incorporate a glaze into a wash -> clay -> (polish if needed) -> AIO -> sealant procedure. You obviously do not want to put the glaze on before the AIO, otherwise, it will just be leaned off by the AIO. If you put it on after the sealant, it probably will were off fairly quickly.

Would you recommend putting it between the AIO and sealant? Would the glaze interfer with the AIO ability to set a good base for the sealant? What are your thoughts?

howareb
11-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Glazes usually work best with nuba`s. However some sealants do work. The most simple approach is

Wash, Clay, Polish, AIO, Glaze, sealant, then nuba topper(opitional). The main thing to keep in mind is that the sealant cannot contain cleaners (i.e. Wolfgang Sealant, Poor Boys EX-P are two that come to mind). If it has cleaners then it will remove the glaze.

Megs #7 and #21 are the exceptions to this rule going by experience.

mixxer
11-29-2007, 05:55 PM
i use K AIO 1st with RMG or VMG followed with PB EX[which bonds well to glazes] then you can top it with a sealant or wax with no bonding issues.

Bert
11-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Hmmm. I wonder how a glaze would work between Jeff`s Werkstatt Prime Strong and Acrylic Jett? Or, I generally use two coats of Acrylic Jett, I wonder how a glaze would work between the two coats?

howareb
11-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Hmmm. I wonder how a glaze would work between Jeff`s Werkstatt Prime Strong and Acrylic Jett? Or, I generally use two coats of Acrylic Jett, I wonder how a glaze would work between the two coats?

In this application you would use Prime Strong, Glaze, then Acrylic Jett (x2). The glaze may not bond correctly between the two coats of Acrylic Jett.

Also with acrylic types of sealants some members advise against using an oily glaze. You would have to search the threads, but I just remembered a question similar to this one in another thread. search on oily glaze might bring it up.

This is the thread (http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/99575-filler-polish-glaze-under-collinite-hide-swirls.html?highlight=oily+glaze)

jgatuslao
11-29-2007, 06:51 PM
When you say "polish then AIO", that is if your polish doesn`t finish off well, right? If it does, you can just go ahead and go to glaze then sealant then nuba. I don`t think AIO is necessary.

Bert
11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
When you say "polish then AIO", that is if your polish doesn`t finish off well, right?

Not necessarily. Prime and Prime Strong just make great base coats for Acrylic Jett so I may use a finish polish, Prime Strong then Acrylic Jett.

If it does, you can just go ahead and go to glaze then sealant then nuba. I don`t think AIO is necessary.

I may try that one time to see how it looks. I assume I would want to strip off the existing Acrylic Jett right?

wannafbody
11-29-2007, 07:47 PM
AIO

Danase Wet Glaze

Sealant

steelwind101
11-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi

You need to know the difference between an oil based glaze and a polyer based glaze. Any Klasse based product, like KAIO and KSG, the Carlack Twins, Jeffs Werkstatt all work perfectly well by doing the AIO part then a polymer glaze, Prima make one so CG EZ GLAZE is the one i use, Danase has one as well.

Back to the nuba situtation, if you seal the surface of your paintwork with AIO and apply a oil based glaze its pointless IMO. THe oils are not going in to the paintwork as you have sealed the paintwork. Useless, you will rub most of the oils away, some may fill tiny holes in the AIO finish but thats about.

You need a clean fresh unsealed finish to make the most of oil based glazes.

Geoff

Bert
11-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Hi

You need to know the difference between an oil based glaze and a polyer based glaze. Any Klasse based product, like KAIO and KSG, the Carlack Twins, Jeffs Werkstatt all work perfectly well by doing the AIO part then a polymer glaze, Prima make one so CG EZ GLAZE is the one i use, Danase has one as well.

Back to the nuba situtation, if you seal the surface of your paintwork with AIO and apply a oil based glaze its pointless IMO. THe oils are not going in to the paintwork as you have sealed the paintwork. Useless, you will rub most of the oils away, some may fill tiny holes in the AIO finish but thats about.

You need a clean fresh unsealed finish to make the most of oil based glazes.

Geoff

Bob`s Danase Glaze is the one I am thinking about. So if I use Danase Wet Glaze, I should be perfectly OK using it between Jeff`s Prime Strong and Jeff`s Acrylic Jett?

If so, since I usually follow up with a second coat of Acrylic Jett, should I put the Danase Wet Glase between the two applications of Acrylic Jett or does it matter one way or the other??

Low Tech
11-29-2007, 09:39 PM
AIO

Danase Wet Glaze

Sealant

I agree. I`ve used Danase WetGlaze over, under and between KAIO/KSG/OOS with great results! I believe DWG is acrylic and has no oils, so bonding is not an issue. It can be "sandwiched" between additional layers of sealant.

kkreit01
11-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Don`t mean to highjack, but I have similar questions. How about using DWG as an LSP -- to reject dust. All my current LSPs are horrible for attracting dust. What if I used DG105 -- then Wet Glaze? Would the glaze diminish the protecting capabilites of the sealant?

Surf City recommends their Glaze as the last step.

3wide
11-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Don`t mean to highjack, but I have similar questions. How about using DWG as an LSP -- to reject dust. All my current LSPs are horrible for attracting dust. What if I used DG105 -- then Wet Glaze? Would the glaze diminish the protecting capabilites of the sealant?

Surf City recommends their Glaze as the last step.

what is your current lsp. i`m may be wrong but most glazes don`t offer much in protection or longevity, work better as part of a sandwich of products, i wouldn`t use a glaze as a lsp. i`ve got danase wet glaze on order, plan on doing, aio - sg - wg - sg.

MattPersman
12-01-2007, 06:51 AM
+1 more for the Danase wet glaze with Werkstatt products.

steelwind101
12-01-2007, 07:43 AM
kkreit01: That is just a miss use of terms. B/c something says its a glaze has no bearing on whether it acutally is it. YOu can all anything anything and thats a done deal in this detailing game. There are were once only two true extentions of the word polish, a pure polish which was only glazing oils and a polish that was a cleaner + abrasive.

Anyway, With regard the CG EZ-G i acutally layer it between each layer of KSG/Werkstatt Jet/Carlack b/c its just a layer of polymer.

Geoff