PDA

View Full Version : Product Storage - Who actually keeps it in the icebox

pingable
11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
I just brought the stuff like polishes & wax and put the under the laundry sink cabinet.

Soap, etc is staying back in unheated space.

I know some of ya`ll even go as far as putting your waxes in the icebox.

I`m curious how many of you guys do that. Show of hands.

I don`t think any solvent loss, etc will that much different as long as the temperature is somewhat stable and is not like 45 or below or 90+ or higher temperature wise and the CAP is nice and tight.

Mikeyc
11-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I keep my high end waxes like Zymol and Swissvax in the fridge as I have a small fridge in my basement that I just keep a few drinks in anyway. The other waxes reside in the garage most of the year. During the winter though I bring all my chemicals in and store them in the basement in plastic tubs.

imported_Picus
11-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Same as Mikey; all the paste waxes go in my basement fridge, everything else in the garage (60f all the time). I accidentally left some 106ff in my car last week and it froze on me, and I can`t get it to liquefy again :(

LanceM
11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
pardon my noobness, but what is the advantage of keeping the paste wax at refrige temps vs room temp?

Labster
11-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Some of my waxes are stored in my mini fridge which just holds some water and beer. Polishes and other products are in rubbermaid containers and milk crates while I`m at school and on shelves in the garage when I`m home.

itb76
11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I keep my high end waxes like Zymol and Swissvax in the fridge as I have a small fridge in my basement that I just keep a few drinks in anyway. The other waxes reside in the garage most of the year. During the winter though I bring all my chemicals in and store them in the basement in plastic tubs.

Just moved my stuff into the basement this week; it`s finally starting to get cold.

pardon my noobness, but what is the advantage of keeping the paste wax at refrige temps vs room temp?

I don`t have any high end paste waxes; nothing but beer in the basement fridge. I`m curious too. This is the first I`d heard of refrigerating paste wax.

LanceM
11-29-2007, 11:09 PM
I mean obviously the fridge would keep it cooler and more dense, but i dont think 70-75 (room temp) is a disavantage. Whats the justification, I guess I`m not too familiar with the material props of wax.

Mikeyc
11-29-2007, 11:29 PM
To be totally honest, I have no idea what the reasoning is. I once sent an email to the guys at Zymol asking about product shelf life and they responded that if I kept my wax in the fridge the shelf life was indefinite.

Rob22315
11-30-2007, 07:43 AM
The reason for keeping products in the fridge is the same as for keeping batteries cooler - chemical processes slow down as temperature gets lower. Deterioration of product due to oxidation and polymerization (both chemical processes) will slow down if the products` temp is lower. I wouldn`t freeze these products, however. Many of these products are blends of organic compounds and water. Yes, oil and water don`t normally mix but with the right emulsifiers, the two can be combined. Freezing these products will cause the water components to separate from the oil components and they can`t be recombined once separated.

RG

KnuckleBuckett
11-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Off topic sort of, but here is a tip for you...

If you have a hard drive fail on your PC and you have been naughty and haven`t backed up the important stuff, try sticking it in the refrigerator over night. I have seen this work long enough to save data to another source.

Go figure!?!

LanceM
11-30-2007, 08:43 AM
The reason for keeping products in the fridge is the same as for keeping batteries cooler - chemical processes slow down as temperature gets lower. Deterioration of product due to oxidation and polymerization (both chemical processes) will slow down if the products` temp is lower. I wouldn`t freeze these products, however. Many of these products are blends of organic compounds and water. Yes, oil and water don`t normally mix but with the right emulsifiers, the two can be combined. Freezing these products will cause the water components to separate from the oil components and they can`t be recombined once separated.

RG

sounds like a pretty good rationale there. I checked that most temperatures inside refrigerators are ~ 40 deg F. Room temp is 70-75 deg F. So there is a 35 deg F difference. This is pretty large, but I wonder much shelf like we are actually saving. I wish they made a material properties sheet for this like they do with metals ie. MIL-HDBK-5.

Sorry, I`m an aeronautical engineer on the shuttle program and deal with metals and temperatures all the time. Plus, I think my family would think I`m going crazy putting wax in the fridge. I might have to invest in a small fridge.

Mikeyc
11-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Sorry, I`m an aeronautical engineer on the shuttle program and deal with metals and temperatures all the time. Plus, I think my family would think I`m going crazy putting wax in the fridge. I might have to invest in a small fridge.

Yeah, I used to get a lot of flack for keeping my stuff in the kitchen fridge. So, I bought a mini-fridge and keep that in the basement with my wax and some beverages.

CalgaryDetail
11-30-2007, 09:05 AM
on a side not, lots of fridges have de-humidfiers to help prevent mold from growing. if the contanor is not perfectly sealed you can actually dry out waxes. So if you are going to throw it in the fridge make sure it is air tight or the DH has been disabled

imported_agentf1
11-30-2007, 11:30 AM
I have some Zymol Concours that I will occasionally play around with that I keep on hand incase a customer request it and I keep it in the fridge. Been in there for over a year and is still good.

KnuckleBuckett
11-30-2007, 12:20 PM
on a side not, lots of fridges have de-humidfiers to help prevent mold from growing. if the contanor is not perfectly sealed you can actually dry out waxes. So if you are going to throw it in the fridge make sure it is air tight or the DH has been disabled

Zip Lock to the rescue!