PDA

View Full Version : Need Better Compound!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Dr.Drew
11-27-2007, 12:04 AM
I am currently using Mark V`s Super Duty Compund. I like the way this product cuts but I do not like all left over powder after cutting. What other compounds are out there that leave little to no powder after cutting?

What are you guys using?

stiffdogg06
11-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Well I`ve never used Mark V`s stuff, so I have no idea how their compound is.

I really like SIP. Any compound will most likely dust a little sometimes.

howareb
11-27-2007, 01:05 AM
I am currently using Mark V`s Super Duty Compund. I like the way this product cuts but I do not like all left over powder after cutting. What other compounds are out there that leave little to no powder after cutting?

What are you guys using?

For the least amount of dusting, I find Optimum polishes work very well. Menz. SIP and 106ff are also very good as well.

Junebug
11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Try 3M Extra Cut 3000, you`ll need a polish afterwards of course but it`s a good compound. I follow up with Menzerna IP. Then 3M UltrafinaSE.

cheapshot
11-27-2007, 07:46 AM
I would like to try some 3M products, Does anyone know were I could fine a 3m/megs compound/polish comparison chart?

after using egde foam pads, I like megs better, I might just turn to 3m waffle or something. I am a little confused with my rotary set up! I am just starting out, mybe 3M polishes and pads is what i need.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Optimum works very well for me, as does Four Star Body Shop......

cheapshot
11-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Patrick if Opimum Polish good for rotary use? what pads should I use? I used rotary for the first time and left a little marring/haze, I think it was do to a little dry buffing.

Is optimum as agressive as SSR2.5?

charger17
11-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Try Mark-Vs new compound MV350, it has excellent cut and much less dust than the Super Duty.

wannafbody
11-27-2007, 09:39 AM
OHC would be a good choice if you are working with a rotary. HTEC works well but it does dust.

Driven Auto Detail
11-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Optimum for little to no dusting. Plus, long working times allow you to do a lot of defect removal in one pass. It`s great for a rotary as well.

imported_themightytimmah
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I like Presta UCCL on a wool pad... You`ll still have to wash after compounding anyways though, if you`re looking for a mess-free (and a long working time, too long IMHO) compound, try Optimum`s lineup.

BigAl3
11-27-2007, 11:29 AM
another vote for Optimum... :up

Junebug
11-27-2007, 12:46 PM
I had Optimum and switched, yeah it has a long working time but who wants to spend an hour on a fender? If you`re interested in 3M, Google Carquest and find their closest "paint store" to you. They had all the 3M products and were very helpful to me. I chose to use Menzerna IP for the polishing step based on several opinions I trust and after using 3M Swirl Remover - I thought I could do better. OK to recap, 3M Extra Cut - with wool or foam, IP on foam and finish with Ultrafina SE. 3 steps to LSP of your choice ready.

Dr.Drew
11-27-2007, 08:25 PM
thanks for all the feedback!

gocubbies
11-27-2007, 08:35 PM
optimum was made for use with rotary. i have optimum, menz, and wizard polishes and the optimum is the least dusting out them all. only had optimum for about 3 weeks now and have not even touched the other 2 lines. well except to move them so i can get to my optimum.

and your marring may have been due to using to much product. optimum has a learning curve like all polishes. biggest thing is amount to use. VERY VERY VERY LITTLE. on a fresh 8" edge 2k wool pad i start with 6-7 pea size drops for first panel and to prime pad. after that i only need 3-4 pea size drops per panel