PDA

View Full Version : I need everyones Input on this Question pls...

Twista616
11-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Hey All...

I`m in a huge toss up here: I am wondering who all is an established business and who is just doing this under the radar??

Reason I asked, I starting to pick up some very High Class Clients(Maserati, Astin Martin, Bentlys and the normls BMWs Mercedes etc.) Kinda getting nervous, just in case something happens with the cars.:eek: I`m not an established Business, meaning I don`t have a business liscense, and I just applied for a DBA as well. Lastly, I don`t do many cars a week, it`s usually a couple a month, most are correction details...

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!:xyxthumbs

8Banger
11-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Do you travel to your locations or are the cars brought to you? If you do them at your home you might want to invest in an "open garage policy".

tod071
11-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Get "Garage Keepers" Insurance. This will cover you if anything were to "happen" (knock on wood). Runs about $1k-$1500/yr depending on your coverage (mines is $980/yr). So, at less than $100/mo, which you can make up by doing 1 car a month, its a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Twista616
11-25-2007, 05:13 PM
I do everything at my home...sometimes I take the show on the road since some clients get nervous about being away from their cars...

tod071: Do you mind explaining alittle more about "garage keepers" insurance? I agree about the peace of mind...better safe than sorry expecially with the high end vehicles..

tod071
11-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Garage Keepers insurance is like business insurance, but only covers you and the vehicle you`re working on. Think of it as auto insurance that covers your customers` cars. You tell the insurance company how much you want to be covered for, I`d go for the amount it would cost to cover your most expensive client, and personal liability, if something should happen to you while you`re working (even at home).

Contact your auto insurance or homeowners insurance company and they can get you covered.

Twista616
11-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Sounds pleasing...I wonder if alot of people on here are using this??

tod071
11-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Most pros have insurance. Side jobs, maybe. But keep in mind, even if its on the side, and you`re working with 100k+ cars, if something should happen, you`ll be covered and not have to buy the owner a new car. You also mentioned you do the work at home, how do the cars get there? If you are picking up and driving the cars, you`d also be covered in teh event of an accident.

Twista616
11-25-2007, 05:38 PM
So it pretty much covers your in almost every aspect...also, I have car insurance as well, and I know that obvioulsy would help in case of an accident. Normally, I pick up the car for them, sometimes they drop it off. It depends on how relaxed and trusting they are though...

tod071
11-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Might want to check with your auto insurance company. I don`t think your coverage will cover someone else`s car. That`s where garage keepers comes in, when you`re transporting clients` cars.

Twista616
11-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Got It...Thanks for everything tod071

todd@bsaw
11-25-2007, 10:26 PM
I`m not sure about the safety of doing details "under the radar" as well as a client`s own piece of mind about you being insured, but I have always worked as a fully operated business with insurance and everything. Only for two summers did I detail for cash on my own, but that was only for friends, family, and coworkers.

Saintlysins
11-26-2007, 12:28 AM
My boss has a Bentley, once a week a mobile detailer came to the office and detailed the car in the lot. Within a few weeks the detailer had lots of clients from offices throughout the building. One day, a lot of the cars had paint damage from the steam machine he used, (apparently the steam unit was cleaned out chemically, but wasn`t flushed out well enough). I think everyone who used this clown sued, and the detailer claimed it was the steam machine people and included them in the suit - as I understand it, he had to sell his house and is in debt up to his a**. Even if there`s no one else to blame, imagine loosing control of a buffer, catching the cord and marring the finish permanently, or any of the multiple things we`ve accidentally done to our own or customers cars. These things are CERTAIN to happen at some time, and it won’t be to the understanding person who owns the 1980 Toyota.

Not to pigeon-hole the wealthy, but if they bring a valuable car for you to `correct` and in your attempt things go from bad to worse, you KNOW they`re going to blame you. The more expensive the car is directly related to how monetarily easy it is for the owner to call a lawyer when you can`t/won’t pay for the repairs. Then just kiss your assets good-bye!

I think the lesson isn`t what happens when things are good, but to protect yourself from when things go bad.

Look into an LLC & Insurance, and ask a thousand questions to the insurance agent, making sure he shows you in the contract what you’re covered for. You just can`t be too careful in today’s litigious society, it`s just too easy to become a defendant. Small money today may save you fortunes in the future. Then use the insurance protection as a selling point, and charge a few extra $$$.

Good luck in your expanding enterprise.

Twista616
11-26-2007, 09:32 AM
My boss has a Bentley, once a week a mobile detailer came to the office and detailed the car in the lot. Within a few weeks the detailer had lots of clients from offices throughout the building. One day, a lot of the cars had paint damage from the steam machine he used, (apparently the steam unit was cleaned out chemically, but wasn`t flushed out well enough). I think everyone who used this clown sued, and the detailer claimed it was the steam machine people and included them in the suit - as I understand it, he had to sell his house and is in debt up to his a**. Even if there`s no one else to blame, imagine loosing control of a buffer, catching the cord and marring the finish permanently, or any of the multiple things we`ve accidentally done to our own or customers cars. These things are CERTAIN to happen at some time, and it won’t be to the understanding person who owns the 1980 Toyota.

Not to pigeon-hole the wealthy, but if they bring a valuable car for you to `correct` and in your attempt things go from bad to worse, you KNOW they`re going to blame you. The more expensive the car is directly related to how monetarily easy it is for the owner to call a lawyer when you can`t/won’t pay for the repairs. Then just kiss your assets good-bye!

I think the lesson isn`t what happens when things are good, but to protect yourself from when things go bad.

Look into an LLC & Insurance, and ask a thousand questions to the insurance agent, making sure he shows you in the contract what you’re covered for. You just can`t be too careful in today’s litigious society, it`s just too easy to become a defendant. Small money today may save you fortunes in the future. Then use the insurance protection as a selling point, and charge a few extra $$$.

Good luck in your expanding enterprise.

Very true...and that would suck to get sued by a bunch of people...thats not my plan of action, I dont think its anyones, but def. need insurance first and I just started to look into an LLC<---that way they can`t come after me personally! I`ve also felt, if people know your insured, then that gives them that piece of mind and they feel more comfortable!

imported_Jakerooni
11-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Why on earth would you ever even consider working on just higher end vehicles with no business insurence???? They call them accidents for a reason. Because they just happen. If you "Accidently" burn the molding off a calvailer can you afford to replace it out of your own pocket??? Probably However should something slip or whatever and you damage a maseratti how on earth would you be able to pay for that out of pocket? These collector cars are high value and screwing up even the slightest tiniest thing at all could seriously deminish the overall value of the car. Which of course in any real collectors mind goes back to the old toy store addage.."If you broke it you bought it" mentality.

Bad bad business call to work on high end cars without being fully insured to do so.