PDA

View Full Version : Question on Collinite 845

Pages : [1] 2

Junebug
11-25-2007, 03:01 PM
I usually use a sealant for my winter protection. This year I used Collinite. I`ve noticed that when I try to use QD`s (I have a half doz) they seem to get a little grabby or gummy at first then clean up fine after a swipe with a dry MF towel. I don`t think the sealers behaved that way - so is it me? or have any of ya`ll noticed that?

imported_paradigm
11-25-2007, 03:22 PM
i`ve never noticed that...i`ve used the following over 845 without problems:

--UPPS

--Z6

--Z8

--AW

--ONR QD

could it be humidity/temp that is causing this for you?

imported_Conan777
11-25-2007, 05:08 PM
I tried using Wolfgang`s quick detail sealant spray over Souveran paste Wax and I got a similiar result however it did not come off easily at all. I won`t make that mistake again. Did you have any wax on the car? Wax on top of sealant is fine but sealant over wax= not good, in my limited experience.

Accumulator
11-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Some LSPs and QDs don`t work well together, but I never had a problem with 845 that I can remember. The QDs I use on it are usually Griot`s SpeedShine and/or FK 425.

wannafbody
11-25-2007, 09:08 PM
remember that 845 is a wax. It will soften a bit in the sun and road salt will stick in it. A true cross linking sealant won`t.

GlossyTundra
11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
I too have noticed it June, definatly more grabby.

Junebug
11-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Good, I`m glad there`s a few that noticed this. Like wannafbody said about it being a wax, I`ve noticed that it gets dusty faster than when I was using a sealant. I like the looks it gives and the easey on - off application is nice. I might try AW after the next wash and see how that goes.

Accumulator
11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
JuneBug- Ever try the 476S paste? If not, I wonder how you`d like it (at least after the first few washes, which sorta level the looks differences between it and 845).

Rob Tomlin
11-26-2007, 09:34 PM
I usually use a sealant for my winter protection. This year I used Collinite. I`ve noticed that when I try to use QD`s (I have a half doz) they seem to get a little grabby or gummy at first then clean up fine after a swipe with a dry MF towel. I don`t think the sealers behaved that way - so is it me? or have any of ya`ll noticed that?

Doesn`t surprise me. Nuba`s don`t always like QD`s. You would probably have best results with Crystal Mist.

jshillin
11-27-2007, 06:57 AM
I have 845 as my winter protection as well and haven`t had any trouble using FK425 on top of it...

Junebug
11-27-2007, 07:33 AM
I got a sample of FK425, just haven`t tried it yet. I did try the car wash, it was pretty good.

Accumulator
11-27-2007, 11:56 AM
JuneBug- See how the FK425 works for you; no problems here on the parts of the Blazer that I did with 845.

Junebug
11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Update - I noticed scratches and marring on my hood after QD`ing - nope, not from the QD or the towel - but from a cat, having 11 it`s hard to narrow down which one so I`m finding homes for the 4 most likely suspects and loading up my water pistol "just in case"

Accumulator
11-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Heh heh, I`ve been lucky- none of our cats has ever marred a vehicle, but we only have one cat at a time...our dogs seem to keep the area`s (semi-)feral cats far enough away that they never do any damage either.

Eleven huh? That`s quite a few!

KnuckleBuckett
11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
I am trying out the durability of Ultima Paint Guard Plus this winter. I have the car sealed in four coats applied per the directions. Looks great, feels great and the initial test showed that two months of fall weather bounced right off of it.

I will review the durability of the PGP in May sometime.

We have real winters here in PA but not arctic whiteouts.