PDA

View Full Version : What causes those little "hooks"?

NickelPlated.45
11-24-2007, 06:20 PM
I`ve had this problem happen once before. Today i tried the 4" ccs pads and they were leaving those little hooks. I hate the ccs pads so i`m not using them anymore but when i had this problem before it was with regular lake country pads. Anyone know what this is from?

imported_JoshVette
11-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Yes, it`s called micro marring. It`s typically from a harsh pad and a harsh compound being worked in with too much pressure or worked in one spot too long. It happens a lot of softer clear coats. You can typically get rid of them by finishing down with a slightly less agressive pad and polish which should remove them.

imported_Bence
11-24-2007, 09:22 PM
If the hooks are rather isolated, your pad picked up a grit/dirt particle, which caused the hooks.

Not the pads are faulty.

stiffdogg06
11-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Did these hooks just now start happening once you started polishing or have they been there?

wannafbody
11-24-2007, 10:08 PM
It`s not the pads. CCS pads are quite nice and allow long working times to make sure you fully break down polishes.

NickelPlated.45
11-24-2007, 10:21 PM
It`s not really micro marring. They are isolated so i guess it might have been debris. I have a jet black `03 325i so the clear is actually pretty hard. They definitely were not there before i started polishing. The first time i had this happen to me i must have missed them while inspecting the finish, but i noticed while using a finishing polish (which did not get rid of them).

I don`t like the pads because they are too tall. These are the ones with the blue foam sandwiched in between the pad and the velcro. I really like the feel of the low profile pads a lot more than these.

Anyways thanks for the help guys.

ggk
11-25-2007, 11:46 AM
u got the "new tech" pads. i prefer the oem pads that are short and no blue foam backing.

plus i hear the blue foam have problems breaking down quickly.