PDA

View Full Version : Dawn contenders!?!

KnuckleBuckett
11-24-2007, 02:50 PM
This is going to sound a bit odd at first...

I was reading the Cooks Illustrated dot com web site checking out what was new. They had featured an atricle where they tested dish washing liquids.

Dawn usually wins these, thus it is also a popular Autopian car wash thus this thread. However there are new contenders (new to me) this year. Method and Seventh Generation are the brand names. My wife and I purchased some Method hand soap and Method HE laundry detergent from Target or Wegmen`s in PA a few weeks ago. We like both just fine.

Anyway here are the two soaps that made Highly Recommended column.

"METHOD Go Naked Ultra

Concentrated Dish Detergent

$2.99 for 25 fluid ounces (12 cents per ounce)

Times more effective than plain water: 5.3

Average scrub strokes: 36.0

Comments: This eco-friendly detergent comes in a sleek bottle, but we were impressed by the contents-this detergent won the wetting test and aced all of our scrubbing tests.

SEVENTH GENERATION Free & Clear Natural Dish Liquid

$3.19 for 25 fluid ounces (13 cents per ounce)

Times more effective than plain water: 5.0

Average scrub strokes: 34.3

Comments: This eco-friendly detergent did the best job on the nasty mess of burnt chicken teriyaki. While it is the most expensive detergent in our lineup, it performed admirably in all tests."

Hope this helps give some options to Dawn and Purple Power.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Dawn for detailing? I have no place for it or any contenders........Eco friendly yes, but I really dont have a need for it.........

Rob Tomlin
11-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Dawn for detailing? I have no place for it or any contenders........Eco friendly yes, but I really dont have a need for it.........

+1

KnuckleBuckett
11-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Hmmm.

I have noticed lots of posts where users use Dawn to do a heavy duty clean. Usually trucks, or exceptionally dirty vehicles. Plenty of mentions.

Sorry if I was mistaken.

imported_BuckeyeR/T
11-24-2007, 06:11 PM
+1

X2...:wavey

howareb
11-24-2007, 06:22 PM
I`ll be your huckleberry. (I love that line!!)

Anyhow, I occasionally use Dawn when I want to strip the wax off of my car (Zaino-layering for more than 10 coats is just is not my cup of tea (I am a rebel)). The other day though I had to strip a car because they had a sealant and a topper wax. I had originally polycharged the sealant, and it was a little more work than normal for the sealant to come off. I think my dilution strength was not strong enough. But I am always up for alternatives, if there are suggestions.

I am thinking about starting to use FK1119.

UPDATE:

Man the knowledge on this board never cease to amaze me, but after years of stripping wax from cars using Dawn, I now see the light. Wash (carwash shampoo), clay, polish and paint cleaner. What a concept!!

If I could find out where to buy AutoInt product I would try their stuff. But the website I found says that it is temporarily closed. If I can get the product I will try AutoInt or FK1119 for those tough details that I have to do sometimes.

Saintlysins
11-24-2007, 07:00 PM
`I use Dawn, but ONLY before a thorough, all day, multi step, detail, where I want as clean and oil free/sloughed tire shine free surface as possible before claying or compounding. \r\nAfter doing all the research I could on my own, it seems to be a quick and useful detergent that does just enough without using chemicals on either side of the extreme pH spectrum. I use about one to one & half ounces to every 5 gallons, and rinse every nook, cranny and crack thoroughly. Don’t need any residual drips or streaks ruining all the detailing. \r\nI\`m SURE there\`s someone with better product advice than my endorsement, so I\`ll check back to see where this thread goes, could be interesting.`

BlueLibby04
11-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Hmmm.

I have noticed lots of posts where users use Dawn to do a heavy duty clean. Usually trucks, or exceptionally dirty vehicles. Plenty of mentions.

Sorry if I was mistaken.

Youre not mistaken at all. Many people use Dawn but some of us think it has no place around a car...Me included. :)

smokinfastlegen
11-24-2007, 11:02 PM
i dont mean to thread hijack, but i thought dish soap could lead to premature clear coat failure? I will say there is only one thing i do use dish soap for when i clean, thats getting bugs off my window when i dont have a glass cleaner.

J-Rad
11-25-2007, 02:31 AM
I use Dawn to clean my pads. But not on my car.

Rob Tomlin
11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
I use Dawn to clean my pads. But not on my car.

:werd:

I do the same.

BigJimZ28
11-25-2007, 12:22 PM
i dont mean to thread hijack, but i thought dish soap could lead to premature clear coat failure? I will say there is only one thing i do use dish soap for when i clean, thats getting bugs off my window when i dont have a glass cleaner.

I think is a more prone to drying out you window seals and weatherstripping

then it is to hurting your CC

imported_DennisH
11-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Dawn is just doing what it is designed to do -- sheet water and prevent spotting on glassware. Zanio guys think sheeting water means it is stripping LSPs -- Ssshhh don`t tell them!!:rofl

Accumulator
11-25-2007, 08:40 PM
I think is a more prone to drying out you window seals and weatherstripping

then it is to hurting your CC

Yeah, CC is pretty tough stuff, it stands up to products that are off-the-chart-harsher than Dawn. People still underestimate how tough automotive paint is...