PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna SIP, then ultima PGP, do I need PPP, or 106FF?

newbiebimmer
11-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I posted this in the ultima section, but realized it probably doesn`t get that much traffic as "the main event" :)

I spent turkey day, doing my first official detail after spending countless hours on this forum and getting inspired by everyone here. That and after getting some hands on instructions from Spoiled Man a few months ago. I invested in a cyclo, which I unboxed today and just love, as the UDM that I tried, just vibrated way too much.

I got the Country Lake pads, orange, and green pads, and the full line of Ultima products (except for the PPP, which relates to this question). I also have the Menzerna SIP, and 106FF.

So the project was a black Acura MDX, that my mother in law takes to the gas station car washes that you sit and drive thru!!! as you can imagine, swirl marks galore..

I washed with ONR, then clayed with the ultima elastrofoam bar, then using the orange pads, hit the car with the SIP. It was amazing to see the scratches and swirl marks virtually disappear. I then, just made sure all the SIP was removed with MF towels and directly applied the PGP.

Question is, should I have gone thru the car with the 106FF before the ultima PGP? If so, which pad? white?

Or should I have gone thru with PPP, again if so, which pad?

Is there any case where I should do SIP, 106FF, PPP, then PGP? The whole point of the ultima stuff was reducing steps and time detailing a car :)

BTW, I then used the ultima interior shampoo and interior guard, it`s great stuff.

For the exterior trim, GR40, vinegar, quick rinse with ONR, then the ultima trim guard, and all the trim looks brand new..

Thanks for everyone`s help, I think I`m finally getting comfortable.. Just can`t figure out when to use the SIP, or when to use 106FF. And now the PPP question :)

Cleaning Fool
11-23-2007, 10:33 AM
On a black car, general rule of thumb would have been to hit it with 106ff after SIP. And yes a white pad would be my choice. Yes, these spray on walk away type products are very easy to use, HOWEVER getting the paint ready for PGP is still hard work, there are no shortcuts. I would have gone SIP, 106, PGP..To me, you have 2 very good polishes, a great 1-2 punch, so PPP to me doesn`t even fit in to the equation

ruttrow
11-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I invested in a cyclo, which I unboxed today and just love, as the UDM that I tried, just vibrated way too much.

I did the same thing for the same reason.

porta
11-23-2007, 12:10 PM
For maximum results I would have used PO106FF with green/white or black pads, depends on the paint.

Rob Tomlin
11-23-2007, 03:29 PM
On a black car, general rule of thumb would have been to hit it with 106ff after SIP. And yes a white pad would be my choice. Yes, these spray on walk away type products are very easy to use, HOWEVER getting the paint ready for PGP is still hard work, there are no shortcuts. I would have gone SIP, 106, PGP..To me, you have 2 very good polishes, a great 1-2 punch, so PPP to me doesn`t even fit in to the equation

That`s the way I would have done it as well, especially on black paint.

newbiebimmer
11-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys, that`s what I thought...

BTW, I only have green pads right now, should I go buy white ones? When do I use which?

imported_DennisH
11-24-2007, 02:53 PM
On black I use the white and black pads as a finishing pad with either 106 or 85rd. Seems to take it to another level which sometimes you don`t think it could get any better but it does. Cyclo is a really nice machine and the edge pads seem to make it even better - reduces vibration and I believe that Edge makes it easier to control. Not much of a Edge fan on PC!!!

SpoiledMan
11-24-2007, 03:27 PM
I`ll give the same answer here that I did in the text message. Ideally you should use Ultima PPP to be sure that the paint is clean *and* to have the best durability with PGP. You can get away with it on lighter colors (not using PPP) as the streaking that may result will be difficult to see.

newbiebimmer
11-25-2007, 02:12 AM
Thanks spoiledman..

My only confusion was then do you do SIP, 106, then PPP, then PGP?

Seems like a ton of work... Or are you saying SIP, then PPP, then PGP?

SpoiledMan
11-25-2007, 02:16 AM
:) Well, it is a ton of work sometimes. You could also go over the car with Ultima Detail Spray and then PGP. That`s faster but also probably more costly in the long run. It should take about 30 minutes or less to go over a mid sized car with PPP. Use just a tiny bit and work it well. It will wipe away easily.