PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rims looking dull!

krazeeboy
11-22-2007, 07:07 PM
hey guys i have work rims and they are bronze but are starting to look really dull. iono if the paint is fading but is there any way to bring it back to its original look? any OTC stuff i can use like polish or wheel cleaners?

BigJimZ28
11-22-2007, 07:42 PM
:welcome

it sound like they are painted and good change they have a CC(Clear Coat)

so just treat them the same as your paint

krazeeboy
11-22-2007, 07:46 PM
`http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/krazeeboy/workemo5.jpg\r\n\r\nyou can clearly see its dull and the white spots there are weird looking like the rims are fading to a lighter bronze. what can i do?`

krazeeboy
11-24-2007, 05:27 AM
any other ideas?

Saintlysins
11-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I had the same problem on my rims too. 2002 Porsche and the rims were looking a bit tired. I’m a little anal and like when the back of the rim is as clean as the face, it really gives the rims depth when mounted on the cars, so I took the rims off the car.

Started with a light grade compound by hand to restore the rough & ‘bruised’ areas. Then Mothers Power Ball over the whole rim with the same compound but generously misted with denatured water as I went. This was my first time using the Power Ball, and I strongly suggest you use a variable speed drill, and NEVER run it at full speed!!!! With some quick passes you`ll be amazed (I was) at the immediate results. With a different Power Ball, I switched to the Sonus Step 2, another ball to the Sonus Step 3. Waxed the rims with P21S, let the rims sit for 4 days, waxed again, waited 5 days, and applied 2 applications of Rejex. They gleam better than new!

The maintenance on them is a blast of the hose and wipe-down of the left over wash in the bucket after washing the car and I`m done! They shine, they`re protected, and the finish is so slick brake dust barely accumulates.

If you’re as anal as I am and have an air compressor, you can (just about) blow the dust off the rims after a hard days driving with this technique. It won`t be as good as a thorough cleaning, but it sure seems to help with the maintenance.

The first time is a lot of work, but it’s so much cheaper than new rims!

Hope this helps.

smokinfastlegen
11-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I know some stock acura wheels get cloudy over time, and that polishing them like paint makes them shine again. BUt like saintlysins said, if they are painted, treat them like your cars paint (well maybe a little more dirt cleansing first to remove brake dust) and they should get a nice shine to them.