PDA

View Full Version : Which is more durable, Black Wow or Ultima Tire & Trim

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_RedlineIRL
11-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Between Black Wow and Ultima Tire & Trim, which is more durbale and will not run or wash off when in contact with water? I am looking for something to apply to my black plastic front grill inserts, which that take forever to apply dressing to since they are honeycomb shaped. The bad thing is, water will get in these "honeycomb" holes and remove any kind of dressings. I just want to keep these pieces looking black instead of the grey color that most black plastics turn over time.

Here`s a pic of just a small piece of the grill pieces, there`s a larger one on each side in the front. As you can see they are a pain to clean thoroughly, especially when I use q-tips on each hole. http://www.autocult.com.au/img/gallery/full/CARmageddon98.jpg

Compared to the Black Wow, the Ultima is almost $50. Is this product really worth it for the price? To me it seems like it has more uses than Black Wow, since I believe BW is more of a black plastic trim use anyways. Being multi-use would defiantely be nice. For those who have used both, what is the durability on both?

SpoiledMan
11-21-2007, 02:45 AM
I have found both products to be very durable. I applied Ultima to the trim of a RR over a month ago and the trim is still beading very strong and it looks as it did when it was applied.

I`m testing a sample of BW that I got *free* from Richard and find that it`s strong suit for me is that it does a killer job of *restoring* plastic trim and keeping it looking good. On my `98 GS-R it was applied over a month ago on the trim at the base of the windshield and it`s still going strong. That trim looked horrible prior to the application. If I get the chance to wash the car in the morning I will take and post pictures.

imported_RedlineIRL
11-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I have found both products to be very durable. I applied Ultima to the trim of a RR over a month ago and the trim is still beading very strong and it looks as it did when it was applied.

I`m testing a sample of BW that I got *free* from Richard and find that it`s strong suit for me is that it does a killer job of *restoring* plastic trim and keeping it looking good. On my `98 GS-R it was applied over a month ago on the trim at the base of the windshield and it`s still going strong. That trim looked horrible prior to the application. If I get the chance to wash the car in the morning I will take and post pictures.

Does the Ultima bring back the dark black color to fading trim?

Pics on the BW would also be great.

Between the two, which do you like better? Is one easier to apply over the other? The BW looks almost like a gel, is the Optima in a liquid form? Which one retains the black look the longest? I want to get one or the other, but I want the more durable one. I don;t want to spend $25 on a 4oz bottle to be dissapointed, like a lot of newer products I`ve tried.

imported_RedlineIRL
11-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Bump. Still undecided on which one is the better product.

SpoiledMan
11-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Ultima is easier to apply than BW. Durability is going to be a toss up at this point. They`re both going strong. BW does a better job of restoring and Ultima looks less oily (more natural) on trim in good condition.

Cleaning Fool
11-23-2007, 09:06 PM
I personally prefer Kiwi black liquid shoe polish. Its my go to on faded black trim. And only $3.99 at your local drug store. And it lasts a minimum of 1 year or longer.

danforz
11-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Anyone try Clear Seal or UPGP on their trim? I`ve found that works WONDERS on pre-cleaned trim.

imported_RedlineIRL
11-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Ultima is easier to apply than BW. Durability is going to be a toss up at this point. They`re both going strong. BW does a better job of restoring and Ultima looks less oily (more natural) on trim in good condition.

Is the Ultima more of a gel or a liquid? Will the Ultima bring back the natural black color? If so, I may go with it since I don`t want the greasy look.

Does it work well in other areas besides black plastics?

SpoiledMan
11-24-2007, 12:02 AM
The Ultima is a *very* thin liquid. I simply can`t answer how long it will last on trim that`s faded or if it will do anything for it at all. Give me a chance and I`ll answer that for you but I will need a day or two to do so.

imported_RedlineIRL
11-24-2007, 12:57 AM
The Ultima is a *very* thin liquid. I simply can`t answer how long it will last on trim that`s faded or if it will do anything for it at all. Give me a chance and I`ll answer that for you but I will need a day or two to do so.

Paulie Walnuts
11-24-2007, 01:09 AM
I personally prefer Kiwi black liquid shoe polish. Its my go to on faded black trim. And only $3.99 at your local drug store. And it lasts a minimum of 1 year or longer.Totally agree. I tried that last year on a clients car and when I did her car again this fall it looked like it had just been done. Before you drop that kinda cash spend the $4 on the polish and try it out. Remember the pricey products dont always do the best job.

Paulie Walnuts
11-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Anyone try Clear Seal or UPGP on their trim? I`ve found that works WONDERS on pre-cleaned trim.

Tried them both and thought both sucked on trim. YRMV.

NickelPlated.45
11-24-2007, 01:33 AM
So you guys are having luck with Black WOW?

I tried it and it looked great after i applied it, but a couple of washes later it was gone like the rest of `em.

imported_RedlineIRL
11-24-2007, 03:45 PM
So you guys are having luck with Black WOW?

I tried it and it looked great after i applied it, but a couple of washes later it was gone like the rest of `em.

What kind of trim did you use it on, smooth or textured? Did you use one or multiple coats?

NickelPlated.45
11-24-2007, 06:13 PM
It was smoooooooth. The rough textured trim is in pretty good shape so i didn`t apply any to it. I cleaned up the trim extremely well and used only one coat. It looked awesome but it simply didn`t last. Maybe i should try multiple coats then protecting it with something afterwards.

But i definitely like the smell of it!!!