PDA

View Full Version : 1z Hand Polishing Micro Marring

likesTOlearn
11-20-2007, 08:56 AM
I have some micro marring on the trunk lid of my car. I do not have a PC, UDM or rotary and I am unlikely get one in the near future. I would like to try to remove the marring by hand. I am thinking about purchasing 1z Paint Polish and giving it a try. The car is a Subaru Legacy in dark metallic grey. From reading the forums Subaru`s tend to have soft paint. Is this something that can be fixed by hand or am I more likely to mess up the paint even more? Is 1z Paint Polish a good choice? I also have some Nufinish polish already (never used it), would that be comparable to 1z or should I stay away from it? Also what kind of applicator should I use if I am doing it by hand? Thanks for any help.....

Accumulator
11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
The 1Z Paint Polish should work well. If you need/want something milder, you could try their Metallic Polish, but IMO that`s too mild. It does make for a nice follow-up *after* the Paint Polish though, I get good results from that progression. So *I* recommend you get both.

No, you won`t mess it up doing it by hand. I used the old 3M PI-III products (Rubbing Compound 05933 and Machine Glaze 05937) on my Subies by hand and they`re harsher than the 1Z stuff.

I would *NOT* use the Nu-Finish polish!

I`d use either a foam pad or a MF for the 1Z polish, and I`d buff off the residue with a very soft MF. 1Z polishes are incredibly user-friendly, just be sure to work them long enough to break down the abrasives (it`s easy to do and also easy to tell when it happens, if in doubt, over-work them, they`re OK to do that with). Top with a good wax.

300B
11-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I used Nu Finish Scratch doctor applied with a cheap AVP $14 walmart orbital buffer(supplied wool pad)to get rid of most of the swirls on my Sienna and C280.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/02_Sienna_006.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/Nice_Day.jpg

likesTOlearn
11-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I`m gonna go with the 1z. I have a layer of DG 105 and a layer of collinite 47s on the car, do I need to strip them before polishing or am I ok to go straight to the polish?

Accumulator
11-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I`m gonna go with the 1z. I have a layer of DG 105 and a layer of collinite 47s on the car, do I need to strip them before polishing or am I ok to go straight to the polish?

I`d try it without stripping, and only use some rubbing alcohol/etc. if you find you`re getting a smeary residue when you polish.

476S over 1Z is nice, that`s what I did on my Blazer.