PDA

View Full Version : So 3m has a scratch resistant finishing polish now..

Pages : [1] 2

Al Buff
11-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Just saw it at the paint shop.. really wanted to pick it up because 3m never letted me down, but it was pricey as hell and i still have 3 bottles of blackfire polish. anyone tried this yet? comes in a milky bottle with black lettering.

Thomas Dekany
11-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Just saw it at the paint shop.. really wanted to pick it up because 3m never letted me down, but it was pricey as hell and i still have 3 bottles of blackfire polish. anyone tried this yet? comes in a milky bottle with black lettering.

What is it called?

Rickrack
11-20-2007, 02:25 PM
I think Rydawg has tried it. I think he said it was good, but the smell & fumes were horrible.

imported_rydawg
11-20-2007, 07:47 PM
I do have the SRC polish and that is what it is called. It does do medium correction and you can also finish off nice with it too. The fumes are awful and can be a pain in a small closed garage. Works excellent on painted bumpers.

It has been out for a year or more now.

Al Buff
11-20-2007, 10:26 PM
One thing i hate about 3m is if you ever sling stuff, the residue sticks like crazy so you gotta be careful.. other than that, they are solid! well, i guess they have to be considering most if not all bodyshops uses 3m.

Deanski
11-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Everyone is now getting on the ceramic "nano" coating polishes now as this is the way several car mfg`s are going.

1Z also has ceramic "nano" silicone free polishes which are really nice.

I`d stick with the German polishes as they were the first, and also the first mfgs to put ceramic coatings on production cars. If you count the Maybach as "production".

Deanski

Junebug
11-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Aw c`mon - buy American! Go 3M.

03TRDBlack
11-21-2007, 09:14 AM
What is it called?

Ultrafina SE I think.

imported_rydawg
11-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Ultrafina SE is the anti-hologram finish polish for all paints.

3M SRC polish is what it is called. It was designed for the SRC paints.

the other pc
11-21-2007, 12:27 PM
...I`d stick with the German polishes as they were the first, and also the first mfgs to put ceramic coatings on production cars. If you count the Maybach as "production"....Of course, those first coatings were made by an American company (PPG, specifically).

And when that American company is developing a new coating they send sample panels to American finish chemical companies for evaluation and development of buffing processes. (Other coating companies, as well as both domestic and foreign car makers do the same.)

PC.

Deanski
11-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Correct, but Menzerna having a superior abrasive mfg capabilities were first to get a polish for any "Ceramiclear" type finishes. PPG developed it in 2002. In 2006, they developed a powder clearcoat. They are also marketing a new self healing clearcoat activated by heat.

In any event, it`s best to match the polish to the finish.

Menzerna Ceramiclear polishes were made for production line correction with very detailed training on type of pads, machine, time etc. before it was released to Maybach. It was by chance that others found it`s unique properties in polishing softer clearcoats.

3M latest finishing polish called Ultrafina is ment to be finished wet and can sling a bit. But used correctly, does work very well.

I have yet to use the 3M brand SRC polishes, but I`m sure they will work well for that type of finish. Unaware how they will react on standard clearcoat.

I was trained on and with 3M a very long time ago by one of the finest and most talented body shop paint/finish engineers. An Italian master who worked on every type of paint, finishes from middle range cars to ultra high-end cars. It was him who after training and guidance long ago opened one bay and told me to work out a finish on this beautiful Italian car of the prancing horse brand. I was nervous beyond all hell. But in the end, it came out great and that`s when you could say he graduated me.

If one is to use any of the 3M products, it`s best to follow what they spec for pads and speed. You can deviate from it a bit due to finish.

I`ve yet to try the 1Z SRC polishes as well.

Whichever polish one chooses, match it to the finish/pad and what you`re trying to correct or final finish on. Don`t just jump on some "New and improved" polish unless the ones you use now are not doing what you want. Too many grab some new polish with no idea on how it reacts, then have an issue with it and think it`s not a good polish. There is a learning curve to any polish and pad. Always have an open mind.

Regards,

Deanski

Thomas Dekany
11-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Too many grab some new polish with no idea on how it reacts, then have an issue with it and think it`s not a good polish. There is a learning curve to any polish and pad. Always have an open mind.

Regards,

Deanski

Most of us on here are enthusiasts whether pro or not. Of course we are going to "waste" money on the latest and greatest detailing products. Part of the fun.

How many LPs/CDs did you waste $$$$ on in your life?

imported_rydawg
11-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I am very surprised that 3M could not do a better job with their 3000 series Swirl Remover polish. It does work for a long time, but the spatter is awful, and it will not remove much of anything. I do not know of anyone yet to like this polish.

Junebug
11-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I just did my wife`s Christmas shopping (for her and me) "she" got me 3M Extra cut and UltrafinaSE - plus 3M pads. I tried the 3M Swirl Remover last week and really wasn`t too impressed, it flashed very fast and I didn`t notice much improvement after buffing. So, I decided to get Menzerna IP instead. Now, I`m ready for the next detail.

Al Buff
11-23-2007, 07:13 PM
I am very surprised that 3M could not do a better job with their 3000 series Swirl Remover polish. It does work for a long time, but the spatter is awful, and it will not remove much of anything. I do not know of anyone yet to like this polish.

really? thats strange.. my bottle has a very short working time and dust like crazy, but when you dilute it with something, it works good.