PDA

View Full Version : Need help regarding Winter Protection in Oregon

Pages : [1] 2

j0hn.H
11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
So I`m a California kid who usually doesn`t have issues with rain on the car. :nana:

But now that I`m going to college up in Oregon (OSU) I will be taking my car up there where it rains all the time. I don`t really feel like getting tons and tons of water spots. It will be hard to wash it frequently as I`m in the dorms. I have found a couple of power washing stations and I could always set up a tent and wash it outside. Over Christmas (before I take it up) I plan to detail the crap out of it to prepare it.

Wash, Clay, polish out the swirls with my array of polishes (Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound, SSR 1, SSR 2) and then top it with Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze and Collinite No. 845. I think the Collinite would be optimal to protect it from the rain, correct? I will also be waxing the wheels to help protect them as well as putting some kind of protection on the windshield so I don`t get that hardwater/rain spot crap that makes it so the wipers dont even clean the windshield.

Any tips?

BTW it`s a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI and I miss her greatly. I haven`t seen my beauty in over 2 months. :wavey :sadpace: :sadpace: Can`t wait to drive her again.

Pics for fun:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6265/2pict0016id5.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8623/2pict0019mu6.jpg

http://oregonstate.edu/~hartfjoh/2PICT0021.JPG

http://oregonstate.edu/~hartfjoh/4PICT0017.JPG

ALAN81
11-18-2007, 09:07 PM
The answer is simple ............Transfer to USC

j0hn.H
11-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Maybe, lol. :(

The only hitch is USC is near impossible to get in to unless you`re a genious. I am not. ;)

a.k.a. Patrick
11-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Good looking ride! I just solved this dilemma for an associate in AK. Light polish (such as what you have already) 2 layers FS UPP, and two layers of that 845 barrier.

howareb
11-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Good looking ride! I just solved this dilemma for an associate in AK. Light polish (such as what you have already) 2 layers FS UPP, and two layers of that 845 barrier.

Fantastic ride John.H. That red is amazing.

Patrick`s suggestion sounds like a winner. I don`t think a bullet could get through that set-up. :2thumbs:

j0hn.H
11-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Great so it "should" protect from rain spots? About how long does it have a strong barrier to them with say 1-2 layers of FTG and 2 layers of 845? I would need about 2-4 months out of it.

Do you think it would be better to wash it not so often or just keep it clean? Reason I ask is it will probably be pretty dirty and I don`t want to scratch it up too much because of the dirt. I may have to get a foam gun and pressure washer. :bow

howareb
11-19-2007, 08:05 AM
You will easily get 2-4 months out of it, and I won`t say that it will keep water spots off, but it will keep you from getting water etching in the paint.

As far as washing, I think that you would be fine with a bucket, some good quality MF towels and some Optimum No-Rinse (ONR) and a sprayer of some sort. (Did`nt you say that you were going into college. You do not want to carry a whole bunch of extra stuff to school, I would think.)

If the car becomes real dirty, take it to a touchless wash in the area and just opt for the wash, (no waxes or anything), and then ONR wash (touchless wash will not get everything off), and then QD. Check out the boards here about ONR, there are many different uses and Scottwax has a great procedure that you can follow. Just my .02.

cshorey
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I live in Portland and have started using 845 and so far have had pretty good success. The car is outside all day and its beading nicely and no water spots. I think if you keep up the LSP you should be fine.

Yes Oregon has a reputation for rain, and does get more rain then you are use to in cali, but per capita compared to many states (especially east coast states) its not the top. Though the beginning of the rainy season just hit. I only got 2 coats of wax on the legacy and wanted to get one more to cover the bulk of the winter.

chris

j0hn.H
11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
What should I use to protect the windshield from what I described?

I don`t know what to call it but it`s like a film of crap that builds on windshields so all of the water sticks and doesn`t bead at all and the wipers barely even work. Just clean it with something like Klasse AIO?

Thanks for the reassurement about the rain etching into my beautiful paint. :angry :angry :angry

BlueLibby04
11-19-2007, 03:48 PM
I keep a bucket with a lid on it to wash my Jeep with. I also live in a dorm.

I fill it up with warm water from the showers in the winter. The local Coin-op doesnt seem to care if you use a bucket, so I use their rinse water and just wash it like I normally would. Only problem Ive ran into is it drying before I get done.

Since you can use the wand, I dont really see a use for the two bucket method. I just try to wash it all at once then spray it all off. If you had someone to go with you that could spray it off as you washed it, that would work great.

howareb
11-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the reassurement about the rain etching into my beautiful paint. :angry :angry :angry

Hey John.H

I do not understand the angy face. cshorey and I pretty much confirmed that you will not get etching. cshorey also said that he has not been getting water spots either.

Water spots are easily removed off your LSP with a QD. Etching however is a little more work . Usually it is removalbe by polishing or a cleaner/wax depending on the severity, and it usually does not come out that easily. So we were both giving you information that you should be happy about, not angry. Cheer UP!!!.

j0hn.H
11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh no lol the angry face was not towards you guys!!! It was towards the evil rain!!

You guys were very helpful in assuring that I would not mess up my paint!! THANK YOU!!

lol...definitely a misunderstanding due to text not showing any emotions and smilies showing them...well...incorrectly.

j0hn.H
11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I keep a bucket with a lid on it to wash my Jeep with. I also live in a dorm.

I fill it up with warm water from the showers in the winter. The local Coin-op doesnt seem to care if you use a bucket, so I use their rinse water and just wash it like I normally would. Only problem Ive ran into is it drying before I get done.

Since you can use the wand, I dont really see a use for the two bucket method. I just try to wash it all at once then spray it all off. If you had someone to go with you that could spray it off as you washed it, that would work great.

Exactly what I was thinking of doing (bucket & hot water from showers). LOL

Using just the rinse water seems like a really good idea, smart! I will try that once I drive my car up here. (12 agonizing hours!) Actually I take that back. California roads suck but Oregon roads are awesome. Their highways are like cutting through a forest with tons of twisties which I may have to get a little spirit into. If you know what I mean. :) :chuckle:

cshorey
11-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I do agree, roads here are fun, the only other place I have drive fun roads as up here in the PNW, is New England. Lots of personality in the roads. :)

Oh yeah and on the topic of Oregon and damaging your paint, the rain will be the least of your worries when they start dropping gravel all over the roads this winter. My front bumper, hood, and mirrors look like they have been sand blasted with gravel (cause they have :()

I know when I was going to WSU the dorm I was living in had a hose and a spot where people reguarly washed cars. Though most of the really nice cars had nasty things happen to them by drunk college kids. My roomates car got busted into and his really nice high end sound system was stolen. I saw too many nasty things done to nice cars :(

chris

howareb
11-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Oh no lol the angry face was not towards you guys!!! It was towards the evil rain!!

You guys were very helpful in assuring that I would not mess up my paint!! THANK YOU!!

lol...definitely a misunderstanding due to text not showing any emotions and smilies showing them...well...incorrectly.

Ok I apologize for the misunderstanding about the angry face. It just seemed to be in an odd place to me.

I really think that Optimum No Rinse would be your perfect solution. You would never have to worry about rinsing, plus you get three products in one. If you buy a gallon for thirty bucks you could have a Clay lube, a quick detailer, and a No Rinse wash all in one product. You can save money instead of going to the coin-op wash. For me the coin-op is $3.00 a pop. Wash your car 10 times for just the rinse spray and you paid for your ONR. The result are great also. Your car will shine.