PDA

View Full Version : Help for a newbie

starla79
11-17-2007, 07:50 PM
I got a new 07 GTI back in Feb of this year and had very, very little paint marring until today, when the service department did me the `favor` of installing scratches in my clearcoat on EVERY FREAKING PANEL. Some of them are deeper than others, all of them make me want to cry and have totally ruined the nice shiny look of my black car (okay, so it`s not shiny since i haven`t washed it since the watering ban took effect, but still). I tried some scratchX and that barely made a dent, though it did help on the painted B-pillar a bit (that has no clearcoat on it so i have to be very careful). I got a PC a few months ago and some basic stuff but nothing that will take these out. Some of the scratches run fairly deep into the clearcoat. Right now the strongest polish i have is the scratchX, and I have the klasse AIO but that doesn`t do much for marring like this. I`m looking at the Four Star MCC (since I`ve heard that VWs have tougher clearcoat), but from reading the threads it sounds like there could be some hazing left afterwards. What`s better to follow it up with, the LCC or SMR? Oh, and I live in Atlanta, so I`m getting some rinseless wash to go along with everything so I don`t run afoul of the water police. I need something pretty cheap and idiotproof since I`m still new to detailing... I`ve been lurking on the forums here for months but haven`t needed to ask much since up until now, my car has been nearly immaculate. I guess it gives me an excuse to clay it finally (since i`ve been putting that off), but it would be so much nicer if they had done this at a time when i can actually wash my own car.

As a side note, my husband`s car (an 05 Legacy GT) has some marring too, but since it`s a lease i wasn`t too gung ho about fixing it. Which of those aforementioned products (the MCC or LCC) would be better on his paint? I hear subarus have soft paint and i don`t want to make it worse.

Old Pirate
11-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Welcome to Autopia starla79! have you talk to dealer about this? i would tell the general manager that his service dept. did this and how are they going to fix this problem with your car, i would be mad and demand that they fix it or paid for you to have it fix. For washing use ONR with the watering ban in your garaged with the door closed because maybe one of you neighbor might call on you because of the ban. Your might need to wet sand the deep scratches and then use a rotary. Hope everything works out for you...

starla79
11-17-2007, 08:24 PM
I`ll be having a talk with them Monday and see about them at least reimbursing me for the product... i mean, if they can`t even wash a car properly, i`m not trusting them to not mess up the paint worse. I`d like to get what scratches i can out with the least effort -- do what I can with the PC and then go to a pro detailer if I need to for the rest. Speaking of which, are there any Autopians in the atlanta area? If it`s easier i may just pay to have someone fix it and send DHVW the bill...

Old Pirate
11-17-2007, 08:40 PM
When you are ready just PM gmblack9a (Bryan), he will bring your car back to perfection! And send the bill to the dealer. Hope everything works out for you.........Angelo

Accumulator
11-17-2007, 08:42 PM
starla79- Welcome to Autopia!

Sorry to hear about what happened to your car. If you can find an Autopian in your area, having it fixed by a pro would probably be the best solution.

If you want to try it yourself, I suggest you get some 4" pads for your PC, they really do make all the difference. My Audis have hard clear, and the only way I can correct it with the PC is by using the 4" pads.

You might look into some Hi-Temp Extreme Cut (source: Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html) ). That will leave a bit of micromarring, and for that (and other less severe marring) on hard clear I`d suggest 1Z Paint Polish (sources: Welcome to Exceldetail! (http://www.exceldetail.com/) and Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) ).

Wetsanding and rotary work are a big step, and I`d probably lean towards trying the above products with the PC/4" first.

It`s been a while since I`ve had a Subaru, but mine didn`t have especially soft paint...more like "nice to work with" medium hardness.

gmblack3
09-22-2008, 09:13 AM
When you are ready just PM gmblack9a (Bryan), he will bring your car back to perfection! And send the bill to the dealer. Hope everything works out for you.........Angelo

Angelo, Thanks for your kind words my friend. :bow

starla79, I will answer your PM in a few mins.

Junebug
09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Starla79 - I have a 08 black GTI, I have an understanding with the dealer - touch the paint and my inner redneck comes out, and hope your insurance covers dental. I`ve seen many cars gmblack3a has done on the click&brag here, you`re in good hands.

JB