PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only 1 here a NON Boutique guy

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fallz
11-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Don`t get me wrong I have a ton of the stuff. (boutique stuff)

But have switched to items like DG , back to Megs prof. line and get outstanding results with the new technology thats out there and you can find a select few OTC but mostly still have to order them.

Most of these boutique sellers do not even Mfg. their own stuff. I`ve made calls to many of them that get used here ( won`t mentioned their manes , because I`m not into bursting anyones bubbles or business) Most of boutique people that I called were excellent , when asked if they actually had a manufacturing facility the answer was no, or we make some stuff here.

I find this to be kind if ironic since there are so many that say you can`t get results using a $10 bottle versus a $20 bottle .

I don`t really consider products like DG or Megs. Prof. line and OTC product and mass marketed. Yes can I pick up a few DG things at Carquest , yes I can usually pick up a bottle of #26 at the auto store , but I can also go to the body shop supply house and pick up 3M and many other`s mentioned here. They mostly also have dust coated on the bottle just like the DG stuff at Carquest ....lol

Joshua312
11-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Most of these boutique sellers do not even Mfg. their own stuff.

Why does this matter? Mfg. or not by the seller the product is what matters, not who is selling it IMO.

Fallz
11-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Why does this matter? Mfg. or not by the seller the product is what matters, not who is selling it IMO.

My case and point, never had a boutique product that stunned me more than anything else. (I was just using DG and Megs as an Example) I don`t use OTC mass marketed products ( for the record )

imported_Blake
11-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Find what you like and enjoy. Megs makes some very good stuff as does Eagle One, Mothers, Duragloss, Collinite and many other OTC brands.

The main thing is that it does what you want it to do. I still love to look in Pep Boys for something to use but I also buy some boutique or mail order items.

Usually my tire dressings are OTC but I also love PoorBoys BnB, and Optimum products.

wannafbody
11-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Megs has improved their offerings. 21 is a pretty good product.

imported_Jakerooni
11-17-2007, 03:30 PM
I honestly think boutiqe stores gain popularity for professional detailers because of bulk. I can`t go to carquest and buy a gallon of DG anything off the shelves. Best I can hope for is 16oz overpriced (because now you`re paying retail v. boutique being warehouse or wholesaler) bottle of whatever that may get a couple cars out. When your doing volume you need bulk and at a price savings. It`s never been (at least if you actually thought logically about it) about better product. It`s comparable product at greater quanitites for cheaper prices. (at least that`s how I`ve always done it)

phamkl
11-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Honestly... I think most of the people here use a mix of boutique and OTC stuff.

I wonder how many people out there don`t own a single Meg`s product?

.VorteX.
11-17-2007, 05:10 PM
What Is Otc

KnuckleBuckett
11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Over The Counter (Like cold medicine)

P1et
11-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I don`t care where my products come from. Personally, I don`t even like the whole "boutique" name. I mean, come on, they are car detailing products. Not Patrick Cox shoes.

Like Sneek says: find something you like and use it often.

.VorteX.
11-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Over The Counter (Like cold medicine)

Thanks...

So, OTC or boutique? Either way, use what you like and what works for you.

CalgaryDetail
11-17-2007, 05:46 PM
i use both, heck the best apc i have used is the megs stuff. i also use waxes liike vintage. I find what i like and stick to it. i dont care who makes it, what its labbeled is, if its otc, bulk, ot boutique. It works i use it. i feel thats what most detailers who are here do. They find what works and use it

ALAN81
11-17-2007, 08:23 PM
who cares when where how .................I care about the end results, and it seems to me OTC (at least most products) can`t cut it

jshillin
11-17-2007, 08:44 PM
I have a handful of OTC stuff, some DG, some Megs even a little 3M, but most of my go to products are boutique!

imported_Bence
11-17-2007, 08:47 PM
The best example of this is Erich Bitter`s new sedan, the Vero. For those who don`t know, Erich Bitter is a German entrepreneur, who has built limited series exclusive cars based on various Opel/GM platforms in his entire life. The cars were always unique and desirable, but the projects died quite soon.

Now his latest try is the new GM RWD platform (Holden Statesman, Pontiac G8, Vauxhall VXR8, etc), with a different grille and bumpers, but the car costs more than twice as much as the original (around US$173.000). Would you buy it? It`s just the boutique version of the mass produced versions.