PDA

View Full Version : Zaino contain silicone???

autobahnshine
11-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey there, I`m interested in trying out the zaino line of products, but due to its "fill" properties, it seems to contain some silicone... can someone shed some light on these products?? Specifically Z-5, Z-8 Z-2... THANKS!

Scottwax
11-16-2007, 10:46 PM
I`ve heard rumors about it, but that`s about it. I don`t think silicones (the good ones) are a big deal anyway.

Black240SX
11-16-2007, 11:09 PM
I thought all sealants were silicone polymers of one type or another.

dmatre
11-17-2007, 06:45 AM
If it looks good, and lasts a long time, why would it matter if it contains silicones (or even salad oil for that matter)?

Am I missing something? (Are silicones bad for the environment, harmful to automotive paint, a known carcinogen, other???)

Cleaning Fool
11-17-2007, 06:51 AM
If it looks good, and lasts a long time, why would it matter if it contains silicones (or even salad oil for that matter)?

Am I missing something? (Are silicones bad for the environment, harmful to automotive paint, a known carcinogen, other???)

thats what I was thinking

Setec Astronomy
11-17-2007, 07:53 AM
The famous quote from the Zaino site is "Best of all, Zaino Show Car Polishâ„¢ creates an award-winning finish without the use of abrasives or harmful silicones." That statement has both made people fearful of products that contain silicone, and also raised the question as to whether it means that Zaino contains silicones, just not harmful ones.

As Black240SX mentioned, I believe it was David B. himself that said that all sealants (perhaps Klasse as an acrylic is an exception) contain silicone polymers, however, that statement was made prior to the emergence of the WOWA sealants (Zaino Clear Seal, Optimum Opti-Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus).

EDIT: Since I`m sure someone is going to ask me if by my above statement I am inferring that WOWA products don`t contain silicone, I`ll answer in advance that I don`t know about the silicones, but my theory is that WOWA products are made from ground up windshields of alien space ships from Area 51, or at least some chemical that is available to all three mfrs. and has recently become available, due to their similarity and proximate date of release.

imported_memnuts
11-17-2007, 08:17 AM
http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-articles-videos/80590-role-silicone-plays-car-care-products.html

Here is a good post by Mike Phillips.

To get a answer to your question, it would be best to contact the maker of the product in question. Zaino (Sal) can be e-mailed or called.

Also do a search. We have had many discussions about Silicones.

austins35
11-25-2007, 11:52 AM
http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-articles-videos/80590-role-silicone-plays-car-care-products.html

Here is a good post by Mike Phillips.

To get a answer to your question, it would be best to contact the maker of the product in question. Zaino (Sal) can be e-mailed or called.

Also do a search. We have had many discussions about Silicones.

I asked Sal about this years ago (1999? 2000?) and as I recall, the answer was that Zaino products do not contain silicone.

-- DavidV :D

Intercooled
11-25-2007, 02:38 PM
I asked Sal about this years ago (1999? 2000?) and as I recall, the answer was that Zaino products do not contain silicone.

-- DavidV :D

Same here. He told me to be cautiouse of silicone filled products.

Junebug
11-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey - has silicone hurt Pam Anderson? I rest my case!

wannafbody
11-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Menzerna seems to think it can be an issue. I saw a post about it somewhere.

SVR
11-27-2007, 01:27 AM
I thought all sealants were silicone polymers of one type or another.

Not all sealants are polymer based, most that are would likely be Polydimethylsiloxane`s which is good silicone (I think)

I dunno about permagard, it`s a reactive polymer that they state is silicone free (highest quality polymer there is and is patented) It cures in the bottle so you gotta leave it in the fridge or it will set in a few months

Best thing to do would be get the products lab tested. I`m planning on some serious lab work and making more custom formulations next year

Brian_Brice
11-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Hey there, I`m interested in trying out the zaino line of products, but due to its "fill" properties, it seems to contain some silicone... can someone shed some light on these products?? Specifically Z-5, Z-8 Z-2... THANKS!

I wouldn`t take to heart the fact that z5 says it fills. It more magnifies imperfections than masks them.