PDA

View Full Version : WalMart MF "detailing" towels?

Pages : [1] 2

dfw
11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I`m in a need for some MF towels and wondering how these are? Made by MicroTex, 80/20...Did the `test` with a new cd and it didn`t scratch or anything.

:help:

jesselyons2002
11-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I have too of the towels you are talking about and there are working out good for me. Towel really soak up the water.

howareb
11-16-2007, 10:39 PM
I guess the best way to explain this would be to start with why most on this forum buy the quality towels from reputable sites mentioned here (like Sonus, Autogeek.net, and other similar sites) is based on quality control, special features like seamless or satin edges, and no tags.

With that said, when you go to a Walmart, Target or even Lowes, the belief is that the quality control is not as strict. Therefore you may get some towels that are just fine and will not scratch and others that are defective and that may scratch. Now some of these beliefs may longer be totally true, because people here do like the Vroom towels from Target. I personally have towels from both Lowes (Quickie) and Target (Vroom) that seem to work just fine. I also have older Microtex towels from Walmart that I do not trust and only use on the door jambs. So if Microtex, got their act together their newer towels may be OK. :nervous2:

You were very smart to do the CD test.

mixxer
11-16-2007, 11:05 PM
IMHO i think the vroom from target are by far the nicest otc ones.

chas.007
11-16-2007, 11:10 PM
i use 100 pecent cotton towel washed in fabric shoftner only

howareb
11-16-2007, 11:17 PM
i use 100 percent cotton towel washed in fabric softner only

100% Cotton towel are good, but you have to be aware of the stitching and the backing as they are not always 100% Cotton (This discussion about 100% cotton towels can best be read about on the ZainoStore.com website). Using fabric softener is bad. Fabric softener reduces the absorbency of a towel because fabric softeners repel water. When I wash my 100% Cotton Towels I used Tide free liquid, and I wash them in Hot Water. Sometimes I add a little Microfiber Wash (but this is not always necessary). However, this thread is not about caring for 100% Cotton Towels.

So I bett let this go back to the original subject. :cool:

Fly Bye
11-16-2007, 11:23 PM
I have some walmart MF towels. They work great for me yo.

After using cotton terry towels for over 20 years, I`m pretty stoked with them http://www.s2ki.com/forums/html/emoticons/dance2.gif

BigJimZ28
11-16-2007, 11:23 PM
IMHO i think the vroom from target are by far the nicest otc ones.

So is it safe to assume that you have not used the Viking brand from Kmart?

I like the Vrooms they are nice also and they cost less but the Vikings are a bit nicer

Fly Bye
11-16-2007, 11:25 PM
When I wash my 100% Cotton Towels I used Tide free liquid, and I wash them in Hot Water.

You could add some vinager to the final rinse.

howareb
11-16-2007, 11:27 PM
You could add some vinager to the final rinse.

Yes thanks for reminding me, I forget to mention that.

Setec Astronomy
11-17-2007, 12:31 AM
I`m in a need for some MF towels and wondering how these are? Made by MicroTex, 80/20...Did the `test` with a new cd and it didn`t scratch or anything.

If they are the MicroTex ones that are called "detailing towels" on the label, those are pretty good, but I haven`t seen them in a long time. IIRC they were in a 2-pack and were made in Korea; I got mine a couple of years ago.

BlueLibby04
11-17-2007, 12:44 AM
A dryer sheet should be ok to use with Cotton towels.

Dont use Fabric softener in the wash though.

imported_DJBAILEY
11-17-2007, 02:56 AM
I have about 20 of the Walmart blue 16x16 MicroTex detailing towels (that come rolled up in a 2-pack) and they have worked out great for me. They are very durable and remain soft. I cut just a little of each corner off because they can be sharp from being cut with a hot wire. Check each one before you buy because sometimes the short nap side can be very short, however that makes the long nap side plusher. But some are so short that you would be wiping your car with the towel backing material.

They seem to be the same towels as the gray Vroom detailing towel (sold in 6-pack) just gray in color.

My favorite OTC MF towels are the Viking towels sold at KMART. I just wish KMART carried their MF waffle weave drying towels too. I have not bought any towels on line since I started buying the Viking towels. They have every MF towel you could need.

BigAl3
11-17-2007, 05:52 AM
My favorite OTC MF towels are the Viking towels sold at KMART. I just wish KMART carried their MF waffle weave drying towels too. I have not bought any towels on line since I started buying the Viking towels. They have every MF towel you could need.

the three that i like and use on a regular basis are the x-large mf drying towel, green quick detailing towel, and the orange edgeless polishing towel. good high quality products! :up

p.s. the k-mart near me had the viking microfiber detailing kit on sale for $9.99 (regularly $16.99) and it had the following, iirc...

- x-large mf drying towel

- mf wash mitt

- mf sponge

- mf applicators

- 3 all purpose mf towels

DM101
11-17-2007, 07:47 AM
With out a doubt the best microfiber towels I have used (and I have used many) are

ULTRA-PLUSH SUPER PREMIUM MICROBIFER MICRO-BANDED 8.75mm THICK SUPRA MICROFIBER TOWEL16" x16" from chemical guys. You can buy a 12 pack.

Ultra Elite Towels (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Microfiber_Elite_p/mic_501_03.htm) If you buy them and don`t like them, I will buy them from you.