PDA

View Full Version : Clay Magic Blue Clay - Too Aggressive?

Bioman
11-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Does anyone else find the Clay Magic Blue Consumer Clay a bit too aggressive? It scratches up the clear pretty easily and I am a guy who uses lots of lube. I`ve never had this problem before with the older Clay Magic, maybe they switched the formula recently? It`s not really a big deal because I was polishing anyways and Blackfire SRC cleared it right up, but I was just a bit surprised. Guess I`ll stick to Mothers for something less aggressive.

gmblack3
11-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Depends on how soft the clear is and if its cold out that does not seem to help either.

audicoupej
11-16-2007, 10:05 AM
I find it marrs a lot as well, but I usually am claying during the wash so I expect it.

As Bryan said cold temps don`t help much either. The marring polishes out very easily so it doesn`t bother me. If I was claying and not polishing then I would probably get a more mild clay.

stiffdogg06
11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
I guess I never experienced it. I usually let my clay sit in luke warm water in cold weather so its easily pliable. But I don`t really deal with a lot of soft clears, so that helps.

- Andrew

Setec Astronomy
11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I guess I never experienced it. I usually let my clay sit in luke warm water in cold weather so its easily pliable.

As soon as it hits the cold surface of the car it`s not pliable anymore, IME.

itb76
11-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Depends on how soft the clear is and if its cold out that does not seem to help either.

I never heard that before, but I believe it. I clayed just the back of my car weekend before last and it marred something terrible. Temperature was in the 40s. OP on PC @6 on yellow pad took care of most of the marring, good enough for the winter until I can do a proper overall polish next spring.

Can anyone suggest a milder clay?

Cassman
11-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Yup. Just learned about claying in the cold last weekend. Polished it all back out easily except the back bumper (ran out of time). I`ll hit it this weekend. I won`t ever clay in under 60 degrees F again.

violentveedub
11-16-2007, 02:32 PM
It usually mars for me as well.

I use the Meguiars clay for something in-between polishing.

NSXTASY
11-16-2007, 02:59 PM
It mars for me as well, not to mention it leaves a residue behind that I dislike. Granted Zaino clay mars occasionally as well, though not as often as CM Blue.

Sonus green rocks.

2KLS1
11-16-2007, 04:49 PM
My experience has been quite the opposite. It didn`t cause any maring at all or leave behind any residue.

Bioman
11-16-2007, 07:22 PM
I never heard that before, but I believe it. I clayed just the back of my car weekend before last and it marred something terrible. Temperature was in the 40s. OP on PC @6 on yellow pad took care of most of the marring, good enough for the winter until I can do a proper overall polish next spring.

Can anyone suggest a milder clay?

Mother`s has never given me problems. Sonus green is also good, but very very mild. Should probably be used for only well maintained cars.

Grimm
11-16-2007, 07:43 PM
I had a lot of trouble the last time I used it, and it was in the summer. That was the first time claying my current car though, so I don`t know if it was just that bar or what. I hadn`t had any trouble before that though.

sixty7mustang22
11-16-2007, 08:02 PM
My experience has been quite the opposite. It didn`t cause any maring at all or leave behind any residue.

Same with me. But I have also never clayed belowe 50ish degs either.

2KLS1
11-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Same with me. But I have also never clayed belowe 50ish degs either.

Yeah the low temps may give a different experience. Don`t really have to deal with that here in southern Cali.