PDA

View Full Version : What makes ONR "special"? Can`t you do the same with regular shampoo?

poweredbytorque
11-14-2007, 01:23 PM
I like the concept of ONR but can`t you do the same thing with regular car shampoo? Anyone ever try it before? I mean there are tons of quality shampoos that are slick and lubricative, why can`t you use those instead of ONR?

3wide
11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
i`m curious too? also to add to it, would onr at qd mixture be the same as products like poorboys s&w or cg`s one? not trying to hijack just to add to the discussion.

Milestones
11-14-2007, 01:28 PM
The simple/non-technical answer is that those other quality shampoos are not specifically designed to be wiped across the paint and then dried without rinsing with water.

Wipe a a traditional shampoo over your paint without rinsing and then dry it off your paint - and you will have a swirl-ridden, streaky, dirty mess.

Milestones
11-14-2007, 01:30 PM
QD strength ONR does work pretty well as a no water wash product like Poorboy`s S&W, CG`s One and JW`s Quickwash.

poweredbytorque
11-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Well fair enough, so what happens when you add some QD to a shampoo mixture? Wouldn`t that help to make the drying process easier?

BlueLibby04
11-14-2007, 01:34 PM
^exactly, you cant let soap dry on your paint. Thats why they call ONR the `rinse less` wash.

Milestones
11-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Well fair enough, so what happens when you add some QD to a shampoo mixture? Wouldn`t that help to make the drying process easier?

Apples/Oranges.

QDs are generally used to clean in place of a full wash with shampoo - when you are pressed for time or just need to clean a small area.

I don`t know that adding QD to a shampoo would have any beneficial effect at all with drying or anything else.

There are some wax-as-you-dry type products that will apply some protection to the paint as you remove it while drying. Some folks do this with Duragloss AW and Eagle One has a WAUD product. With these products you spray on the wet car and then dry as normal. However, they are designed to add protection to the paint - not necessarily to make the drying process easier.

To dry the car, all you need are some high quality waffle-weave MFs. Rinsing the car off with a flow instead of a spray will allow most of the water to sheet off and make drying a lot quicker and easier.

Milestones
11-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Upon further reflection, I can see that putting QD on a wet car before drying could potentially help provide a little extra lubrication to prevent potential marring caused by grit you may have missed when washing.

However, this would not involve mixing QD with shampoo for the washing process itself and again would not necessarily make drying easier - but, it might help minimize the risk of marring.

I`ve never tried this myself because I`m confident my car is clean when I`m through washing it.

Bert
11-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Upon further reflection, I can see that putting QD on a wet car before drying could potentially help provide a little extra lubrication to prevent potential marring caused by grit you may have missed when washing.

There a few posters who do just as you describe to eliminate/minimize marring.

However, this would not involve mixing QD with shampoo for the washing process itself and again would not necessarily make drying easier - but, it might help minimize the risk of marring.

I agree, mixing QD with your wash would probably serve no purpose.

3wide
11-14-2007, 03:06 PM
I agree, mixing QD with your wash would probably serve no purpose.[/QUOTE]

i doubt if the two products would mix, they would stay separate and the qd would pobibly get soaked up the first time you place the mit in the bucket.

imported_truzoom
11-14-2007, 04:44 PM
You can think of ONR as a slicking/encapsulating agent, not necessarily a soap.

I think eventually I`m going to run a test to see if plain water is as effective as ONR when doing rinseless washes. I`m a big fan of ONR, but I just feel like such a dope when I pour some into a bucket and it still looks like I have a bucket full of regular water.

twitch
11-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I think eventually I`m going to run a test to see if plain water is as effective as ONR when doing rinseless washes. I`m a big fan of ONR, but I just feel like such a dope when I pour some into a bucket and it still looks like I have a bucket full of regular water.

I want to do the exact same test I`ve just not been able to get around to trying it.

My plan was to do this.

One half of the door will be washed with ONR, a sheepskin mitt, and dried with a MF towel.

The other half of the door will be washed with ONLY water, a sheepskin mitt, and dried with a MF towel in the same method.

I may be setting myself up for some scratching, marring, and minor swirling but I think the test would be interesting to say the least.

The thing I wonder is whether or not one test run would give sufficient results. I`m betting that the first test may not produce anything incredibly noticeable but over time the defects would be very noticeable if just using plain ‘ol water. :nixweiss