PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is a sealant?

Elonheater32
11-13-2007, 07:27 PM
I did not realize until a few days ago that Zaino does not even have any wax, instead of course they have sealant. How does this sealant differ from wax and what is it that allows the sealant to protect much longer than wax?

pipspeak
11-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Wax is a "sealant" by definition (provides a weather-proof layer of stuff on the paint) but the sealants you refer to are all synthetic, usually acrylic polymer-based, and generally tougher than waxes. They literally provide a hard, thin layer of totally clear "plastic" over the paint, much like painting wood with acrylic (water-based) paint creates a synthetic barrier. Downside is that they`re synthetic and tend to look synthetic. Like wrapping your car in Saran Wrap is one oft-heard comment.

Waxes are natural products harnessed in solvents in a bottle of gunk and provides a warmer, less plasticky shine on paint. Downside is they generally don`t last as long before rubbing or wearing off.

Elonheater32
11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
I have heard of people saying that Zaino sealants have a synthetic look to it. Although, I have looked at tons of cars in the click and brag section and none of the cars that have been Zainoed look synthetic. Maybe it is one of those things where you have to see it in person.

Can anyone give me an example of a gloss that looks "synthetic"????

imported_JoshVette
11-13-2007, 08:02 PM
The trick to getting it to look wetter and glossier then the average car is to properly prep it. Claybar, polish out defects and such. Then seal the car.

The "sythetic" look just means optically clear. It`s not going to add a ton of depth to the shine, it`s just going to look like a layer of glass over top the surface. So prep work is key.

todd@bsaw
11-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Can anyone give me an example of a gloss that looks "synthetic"????

I like the "saran wrap" look on some paints, and here is a great example IMO that looks `fake` or `synthetic`. Wonderful detail on a yellow Hummer using Optiseal that is almost too fake looking. It was this Click & Brag thread that pushed me to purchase a bottle for myself. :)

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/90330-2004-yellow-hummer-h2-optiseal.html?highlight=yellow+hummer

Rob Tomlin
11-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Wax is a "sealant" by definition (provides a weather-proof layer of stuff on the paint) but the sealants you refer to are all synthetic, usually acrylic polymer-based, and generally tougher than waxes. They literally provide a hard, thin layer of totally clear "plastic" over the paint, much like painting wood with acrylic (water-based) paint creates a synthetic barrier. Downside is that they`re synthetic and tend to look synthetic. Like wrapping your car in Saran Wrap is one oft-heard comment.

Waxes are natural products harnessed in solvents in a bottle of gunk and provides a warmer, less plasticky shine on paint. Downside is they generally don`t last as long before rubbing or wearing off.

The other downside to the natural carnauba waxes is that they tend to attract dust (some more than others). Sealants have an advantage there.

pipspeak
11-13-2007, 11:18 PM
I`ve also read that the reason sealants are more durable is that they "bond" with the paint, but I`m not sure what sort of bond that might be. A polymeric chemical bond is unlikely since they would then be impossible to remove without damaging the paint so I assume some sort of weaker bond (H-bond perhaps?). My head hurts trying to think of the chemistry involved, but whatever the case waxes don`t bond, which is why they wear off faster.

BigAl3
11-13-2007, 11:18 PM
The trick to getting it to look wetter and glossier then the average car is to properly prep it. Claybar, polish out defects and such. Then seal the car.

so true, and it doesn`t really matter what you put on it if the prep isn`t properly done...

BigAl3
11-13-2007, 11:35 PM
http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80230-how-properly-wax-your-car.html