PDA

View Full Version : If I don`t use Meguiar`s then what ?

Pages : [1] 2

CV_Soccer
11-13-2007, 01:04 AM
I have been reading a few threads on other forums that were not all that nice to Meguiar`s or to some of the claims that they make regarding their `secret oils`.

Presently I have NXT topped with #26 on my very red GTI (see below) and I am looking for something that will gives a wet look & a high gloss shine while providing a good amount of protection. I have a PC7424 and have become very comfortable using it, and have no problem investing a few hours to get things rebuilt.

I want a sealant so if I don`t use NXT or Meguiar`s #21 what products should I consider to rebuild my protection? I have heard good and bad about Klasse, Zaino is on the list and so is Sonus. Ultima I`m not sure if I believe the hype. Wolfgang & Pinnacle are a mystery to me as I know little if nothing about them

Remember I`m looking for High gloss finish with a wet look, and so long as a gold plated scoop is not included with the wax cost is not my primary concern protection is.

My Red GTI

http://www.wildensten.com/GTI/583a.JPG

imported_JoshVette
11-13-2007, 01:11 AM
First, you need to look into claybaring. Get a claybar, use it, then polish your VW once over with an orange LC pad and a light cleaning abrasive polish like Menz IP or Zaino Fusion. After that protect it with whatever sealant you feel is best. There`s a lot of great choices out there.

I personally prefer Zaino Z5, put on a few coats and you`ll easily get 6 months protection. Maintain it after washing with Z8. It`s a very easy 1-2 knockout punch.

Like I said, all the prep work is key to the wet, glossy shine you`re looking for, not some wax. Prep it and protect it.

CV_Soccer
11-13-2007, 01:35 AM
First, you need to look into claybaring. Get a claybar, use it, then polish your VW once over with an orange LC pad and a light cleaning abrasive polish like Menz IP or Zaino Fusion. After that protect it with whatever sealant you feel is best. There`s a lot of great choices out there.

I personally prefer Zaino Z5, put on a few coats and you`ll easily get 6 months protection. Maintain it after washing with Z8. It`s a very easy 1-2 knockout punch.

Like I said, all the prep work is key to the wet, glossy shine you`re looking for, not some wax. Prep it and protect it.I could not agree more. :2thumbs: Clay then polish for if you do not do a complete prep it will tell in the finished product. I clay my finish when it needs it, and that seems to be about twice a year.

Big Leegr
11-13-2007, 05:50 AM
I`m not aware of any product line that doesn`t have any detractors. Megs has a large following, and sells lots of wax. I think it would be unlikely that they would be given contracts to make stuff for car companies to sell under the car companies labels if they were damaging to the finish. Most of my reading about their "trade secret oils" being `bad" is that it is only a temporary fix. That is to say, hiding rather than removing the defects. This can be a good thing, or a bad thing.

Overall, though, if you like the stuff, and it seems to work for you, why bother changing just because someone else doesn`t like it? As I said earlier, no matter what line you choose, there will likely be someone criticizing your choice. Ya can`t please everyone, so ya might as well please yourself.

Dan
11-13-2007, 07:28 AM
The fact is, with a well polished finish, the wax or sealant used makes up very little of the final look. Switching to another brand isn`t going to get you that magic change you think you might get. Sure one product might last long or be easier to use, but the final look won`t change that much. NXT and #26 is a great combo, the trade secret oils are more marketing than anything else, it seems that a lot of people are hell bent on discrediting probably the largest detailing product company, when in fact they produce some of the most well balanced product that appeal to a broad market.

Showroom Shine
11-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Meg`s does have a lot of products that work. On another detailing site,everyone knows who, they push their own products, then bad mouth most of the others. I use a variety

of different products. Some are more costly than others. There are some noticeable improvements sometime, not always. You just have to experiment and see which one gives you the final results that you want. Some products work better for certian colors or paints. IMO I do not think there is one product that is a cure all,or the only thing to use on every vehicle. Modern technology people are working on new stuff as we are detailing.

They will all claim to have re-invented the wheel, or made it better. All in an effort to get us to spend our hard earned $$$$$ with them. Bottom line is the profit margin.

Dont get discouraged try something new!

Richard:woot2:

jfelbab
11-13-2007, 09:12 AM
If you like Meg`s and want to try something new, look for the new NXT V2.0 or the #21 V2.0 available very soon.

sspeer
11-13-2007, 09:55 AM
If you`re happy with the results, then why change? Meg`s definitely makes some well balanced products and 21 and 26 are products that always leave me impressed. Red is a color that just begs for 26.

You`d also get great results with other products..

I`ve had great results with JW`s Prime Strong topped with 26.

Paulie Walnuts
11-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Man I dont know if I would switch because it looks pretty damn good to me man.

imported_Larry A
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
If you dont use Meguiars then try Mothers.

imported_paradigm
11-13-2007, 06:22 PM
as said above...the prep is the most important. the products used after that can make a difference, but only to a certain degree.

you can`t really go wrong with any of the products you mentioned. you didn`t mention Duragloss, so i`ll throw that out there too.

brwill2005
11-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Man I dont know if I would switch because it looks pretty damn good to me man.

I was going to say the same thing. As long as you are getting good results, and it appears you are, there is no need to spend a bunch of money trying new products. Believe me, I have been there and done that.

Paulie Walnuts
11-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I was going to say the same thing. As long as you are getting good results, and it appears you are, there is no need to spend a bunch of money trying new products. Believe me, I have been there and done that.Same here. I know what works on my car, Zaino and Wolfgang, and thats all I use. I do however have different products for client cars and used them based on color and paint type.

Frito Bandito
11-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Your car looks great right now. Might not be worth it to spend a bunch of money on other products. I personally like Megs products..........you could try the new #21 2.0 and/or NXT 2.0 when they come out. May also want to look at Mothers Reflections line or JW Prime and Acrylic Jett: Trigger.

Scottwax
11-13-2007, 07:47 PM
#26 is hard to beat on red. If I was going to suggest another carnauba, it would be Clearkote`s Carnauba Moose Wax. Even then, the difference won`t be huge.