PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Zaino products?????

Pages : [1] 2

Elonheater32
11-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I plan on shortly detailing my future black car, but had a few questions. Since people are so familiar with different products.... sometimes when you guys talk it goes right over my head! The black car that I plan on getting will most likely have mild swirl marks and I would like to know how to apporiately take care of it.

The problem is even after looking at this website and looking at the Zaino website, I am still confused about which product to use for my application. This is the best that I could gather so please help me out.

Dawn wash - to remove all previous wax

Zaino Z-7 wash

Clay Bar with Sonus

Z5 or ZPC Paint Cleaner/Polish (which one should I use and whats the difference?)

two or three coats of Z2????

and Zaino does not make wax???!!! Can anybody recommend a good wax especially for a black car?

It is just that the Zaino website is confusing to me. Talking about using Z2 and Z3 and Z4 and Z5 blah blah and I don`t see many people on Autopia using ALL of the Zaino products at once.

Can someone help me out and tell me the correct procedure in using Zaino products.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

BradUF
11-11-2007, 11:12 PM
It confuses me too..

stiffdogg06
11-11-2007, 11:15 PM
To keep it simple for you

- Wash with dawn or whatever you want really. Just maybe something strong enough to remove any old wax and what not.

- Clay bar the car with any clay you want

- Polish/compound with any ones you want to remove swirls/scratches

- Apply z5 OR z2. Z5 will give you a wetter look but I believe z2 gives you more of a glossy look and last longer.

If you want to apply more than one coat of z5/z2. I suggest for simplicity is buy ZFX. And use that via directions on the back of the box.

Z5 and Z2 are Zaino`s "SEALANTS" for clear coated cars. A wax will not last as long as a sealant. So if you want durability, zaino is a damn good way to go.

If you need anything else, feel free to PM me. :woot:

- Andrew

elitemobile
11-11-2007, 11:15 PM

-completely up to you there is much debate about dawn, honestly if your claying that step will remove your previous wax

Zaino Z-7 wash

-very nice car wash

Clay Bar with Sonus

-one of the most over looked steps but very important

Z5 or ZPC Paint Cleaner/Polish (which one should I use and whats the difference?)

-z5 although it is refered as a "polish" is actually a protectant also so there is no need to apply another "wax" z5 is recommended for dark cars where z2 is for lighter. You can layer z5 or z2 for even better results but then you have to look into something called zfx (whole different ball game)

-ZPC is actually a polish, this step will also remove any previous waxes and will provide no protection for the paint. if you would like to apply a product in the same way but with protection look for ZAIO

basically

z7

clay

zpc/zaio

z5

hope this helps

Bert
11-11-2007, 11:16 PM
I plan on shortly detailing my future black car, but had a few questions. Since people are so familiar with different products.... sometimes when you guys talk it goes right over my head! The black car that I plan on getting will most likely have mild swirl marks and I would like to know how to apporiately take care of it.

The problem is even after looking at this website and looking at the Zaino website, I am still confused about which product to use for my application. This is the best that I could gather so please help me out.

Zaino Z-7 wash

Clay Bar with Sonus

and Zaino does not make wax???!!! Can anybody recommend a good wax especially for a black car?

It is just that the Zaino website is confusing to me. Talking about using Z2 and Z3 and Z4 and Z5 blah blah and I don`t see many people on Autopia using ALL of the Zaino products at once.

Can someone help me out and tell me the correct procedure in using Zaino products.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

It is my understanding that while Zaino calls Z-2 and Z-5 Polishes, they are really sealants. The difference being Z-2 is a pure sealant and Z-5 is a sealant with fillers in it.

As far as what products to use, most recomend the following:

Dawn to wash your car before applying Zaino the first time.

Z-18 (or any other good clay bar) to clay your car.

Z-PC to correct swirl marks and other paint marring

Z-AIO as your All in One

Z-5 used as many times as needed to fill in left over swirl marks.

- (If you do not us ZFX in your Z-5, Z-3 or Z-2 you have to wait I believe 12 hours. Or is it 24 hours? If you do use ZFX, the wait time I believe is 20 minutes.)

Z-2 as your final "layer" of sealant if you have a clear coat, Z-3 if no clear coat.

Z-8 to touch up the glossy look

Z-6 as your QD

Z-7 to wash your car from now on.

I have never used Zaino but this seems to be the most popular combination of Zaino Products.

Kinda complicated, kinda pricey to start out but seems to give good results.

Bert
11-11-2007, 11:17 PM
You beat me elitemobile and stiffdog.

elitemobile
11-11-2007, 11:17 PM
i have just re read my post and realize it might be just as confusing as zaino haha if you have any question feel free to ask

elitemobile
11-11-2007, 11:18 PM
bert you post was alot more informative anyway hopefully between the three of us he can put something together haha

danforz
11-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Cats out of the hat, the guys have covered it pretty well. I will say this: If your planning on purchasing ZFX in order to apply multiple coats in one sitting, go to rite aid and get a plastic medical syringe.

To go more into depth, the concept of ZFX is the adative allows you to layer up to 3 layers of Z2 or Z5 at any given time (just wait 30 minutes between application). You have to mix the ZFX with the Z2 or Z5. However, the bottles that are provided are VERY LARGE and hold like 6-9 layers of sealant in them.

No biggie, you`ll just save it for another day right? Well, if you leave the stuff in there for more then 12 hours it goes bad. Ok, so you`ll only fill the bottle half way up right? Ehhh... you`ll end up wasting a lot of the sealant which will coat the sides of the mixer bottle rather then settle at the bottom. After all, you have to fervently mix the ZFX/Z2 cocktail so its gonna get all over the bottle and much of it

This is where the medical syringe comes into play. It holds aprox 3 layers worth of sealant, and all of it is used (you just squeeze it out with the syringe). Really made my zaino application more friendly. I found it easier to mix the stuff in the smaller syringe too.

Almost forgot: I recommend applying with a foam pad. I`ve noticed pretty much all of Zaino`s products work better via foam. The white terry cloth pads they provide soak up too much product.

ptaylor_9849
11-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Elonheater, I`m about to throw a wrench into this equation but bear with me. As stated earlier, Zaino calls Z2 and Z5 polishes but they are not, they are sealants or top coats or last step products whatever you want to call them. Z5 looks better on dark colors and Z2 looks better on light colors. But here comes the fly in the ointment. Zaino is awesome HOWEVER, Zaino will exacerbate your minor swirls or any other imperfection for that matter. Therefore, if you want to use Z5 then you`d better do some serious correction with a polish first. You need to apply Zaino over a corrected finish or those swirls and cobwebs will show right through. That goes for Z5 also. Don`t believe the hype about Z5 filling minor swirls. Here are two options: You can either hide your swirls with a product like RMG or you can remove them with a polish like Menzerna 106ff. If you want the easy way out then buy Clearkote RMG, Carnauba Moose Wax & Quik Shine. If you want to do things more thoroughly then polish out the swirls with Menzerna, then apply your Z5.:2thumbs:

Patrick

TEGBOY
11-12-2007, 12:46 AM
If you put the mixed bottle into the fridge it will last longer than 12hours. I have had them last over night and into the next day, and they are still good to go.

Elonheater32
11-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Okay its confusing, but actually starting to make some sense. I guess the problem was that you actually have to use a "real" polish before applying Zaino products. I have heard that sealants really to make every imperfection pop out.

So to make things simple... after washing and claybaring, use a good polish like Menzerna 106ff before putting Zaino "sealants" on the paint.

Am I going in the right direction guys?????

Scottwax
11-12-2007, 01:10 AM
I`ll make it very easy for you.

Regular car wash-no need to Dawn wash if you clay and polish, or use Zaino All in One prior to using Z2 or Z5

Clay as needed

Polish as needed

Zaino All in One

Z2 or Z5

Z8 to maintain.

ZAIO makes a good base for Z2/Z5 and also means you don`t have to use ZFX. Don`t worry about the applying 3 layers at a time either, just add another layer with each of the next couple of washes. After that, maintain with Z8. If you follow that routine, Zaino is just as easy to use as anything else.

stiffdogg06
11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
I`ll make it very easy for you.

Regular car wash-no need to Dawn wash if you clay and polish, or use Zaino All in One prior to using Z2 or Z5

Clay as needed

Polish as needed

Zaino All in One

Z2 or Z5

Z8 to maintain.

ZAIO makes a good base for Z2/Z5 and also means you don`t have to use ZFX. Don`t worry about the applying 3 layers at a time either, just add another layer with each of the next couple of washes. After that, maintain with Z8. If you follow that routine, Zaino is just as easy to use as anything else.

I beat you to it. ;)

slemler
11-12-2007, 09:49 AM
I am definitely a newbie when it comes to auto detailing, but I just used Zaino on my six year old Chevy Tahoe and it looks great. Even my wife who could usually care less said wow. It had a lot of swirls and bug/sap spots. I did the following and it got out most of the swirls. Not all but I did not expect that since Z5 does not have any abrasives and I did not want to make things worse..

1. dawn wash

2. claybar (that was an awesome experience - got the car very clean, not more sap)

3. wash with Z7 car wash

4. applied three coats of Z5 with ZFX.

I bought the kit and though it did cost about $90 with shipping, it was alot cheaper then taking it to a shop and now I have enough product for a lot more applications.