PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed dealing with Opti-Seal.

Pages : [1] 2

LS1 Eddie
11-11-2007, 10:04 PM
My opti-seal should be here any day now. I plan on using it on my white diamond Caddy. I want to combine the opti-seal with a coat of Collinite. Should I use the opti-seal first, then Collinite or vice versa. Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

danforz
11-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Opti-seal first. As a rule of thumb, you typically want to put anything with oils OVER a sealant. By applying the sealant first, you allow it to properly bond to the vehicle paint rather then fight for such a property against the oils in the wax or glaze. However, a wax or glaze over a sealant will work just fine. Some argue that any oil over a sealant will impact the longevity of the sealant. But hey, whose counting. If its your own car, and your no hyper-omega-ultra OCD about the longevity of your sealant, I doubt the week of lost durability caused by a wax over a sealant will be any issue.

Furthermore, if I`m not mistaken, all the WOWA products work well with waxes. So in fact, you may not be loosing any durability at all by applying the wax over the opti-seal. Hell, you may even want to relayer opti-seal over the wax to make it last longer.

OS, wax, wax, OS would be my preferred method over a week of detailing.

wannafbody
11-11-2007, 11:14 PM
I`d put the collinite over the OS for enhanced durabilty.

SilverSeven
11-12-2007, 03:28 AM
Firstly, I will need to ask u which Collinite are u using? For me, I prefer Collinite 476S over the OS. I`m using Collinite 476S, my favorite wax at this moment. :)

Altho Optimum would advise to top the OS on carnauba wax. But it`s just me, I prefer the Collinite over OS combo.... :)

a.k.a. Patrick
11-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Boy thats a toughy. But if it was me, I would do 2 layers of OptiSeal, then either 845 or 476. The Optiseal is your base protection. Also use the OS with a MF instead of the foam applicator...

cheapshot
11-12-2007, 05:30 AM
does optiseal have any cleaning ability?

I once put #16 x2 over VMWHG. It looked great!

Acually it looked great after #83 and #80.

LS1 Eddie
11-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Wow, thanks for the great advice guys. I`m going to be using Collinite 915.

Driven Auto Detail
11-12-2007, 11:47 AM
As some one else mentioned, apply OS with a MF applicator instead of a foam applicator.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-12-2007, 01:23 PM
does optiseal have any cleaning ability?

I once put #16 x2 over VMWHG. It looked great!

Acually it looked great after #83 and #80.

Not a speck, pure protection....

bill57
11-12-2007, 10:32 PM
I was going to finish off with Collinite over NXT (NXT is curing as I type this). Would Opti-seal be a good product in between the NXT and the Collinite? I would be looking for increased durability.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-12-2007, 10:44 PM
A rule of thumb is always use the synthetic as your base coat. I wouldnt advise sandwiching it....

Don GM
11-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I apply the sealant first, then wax on top. One reason being is that the wax takes much longer to fully cure than the opti-seal`s 15 min. MAX. Make sure you go over the Opti-Seal with a MF before you apply the wax to get any streaks out, which is pretty common with Opti-Seal.

Scottwax
11-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Make sure you go over the Opti-Seal with a MF before you apply the wax to get any streaks out, which is pretty common with Opti-Seal.

http://www.scottwax.com/rice/videos/smilies/ugh.gif If it is streaking at all, you are using too much or whatever product you used to prep the paint was not completely removed prior to applying Opti-Seal. I *may* get a random streak every 3rd or 4th vehicle I apply OS to and it is always operator error.

As some one else mentioned, apply OS with a MF applicator instead of a foam applicator. :think:

The Meguiars foam hand applicators are absolutely ideal for applying both Opti-Seal and Clear Seal. I am getting 10 vehicles per ounce of product using the Meg`s foam pads and no streaking. :)

imported_Bence
11-13-2007, 07:08 AM
http://www.scottwax.com/rice/videos/smilies/ugh.gif If it is streaking at all, you are using too much or whatever product you used to prep the paint was not completely removed prior to applying Opti-Seal. I *may* get a random streak every 3rd or 4th vehicle I apply OS to and it is always operator error.

Absolutely agree!

Sometimes I think people confuse the spots where the product sits thicker with streaking. The thick/high spots are always movable, easy to remove if you want to kick them down with the applicator.

"Normal" streaking is defined as ghosts/marks/shades or imperfections in the film that are hard to move, or entirely immovable with rubbing. In extreme cases streaking appears as harder swirl marks (usually mimicking the structure of the applicator) where the sealant was originally applied.

imported_themightytimmah
11-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Try a half and half panel before you do the whole car. I used OS and Collinite 815 on a pearl white LS400, and I liked the look of OS alone better than OS/Collinite. I ended up doing OS x2 on the rest of the car.