PDA

View Full Version : Stoner vs Optimum tire shine spray

argh_
11-11-2007, 05:11 PM
I like how with Stoner More Shine it can just be sprayed on without wiping, but I guess with Optimum Tire Shine you still need to wipe (directions can`t be found online). Both seem to be equally recommended products here, so is there any good reason to choose one over the other?

Bigpoppa3346
11-11-2007, 05:18 PM
With the Stoner product, as I understand it (never used it), you spray on and walk away. With Optimum (and all other water based dressings) you spray some on the tire, work it in with an applicator, then once it drys you come back again to even out any dry spots.

I used to recommend it all the time, but now that it`s gone up like $8 per gallon over the last year I found a few cheaper alternatives.

Cleaning Fool
11-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Stoners is nice initially but its durability isn`t very good in my tests. Fades away pretty fast. One of the reasons I no longer use it.

phahn
11-11-2007, 06:30 PM
With the optimum tire shine, you CAN spray and walk away. In fact, it works better and gives more gloss this way. I let it "set up" for 20-30 minutes so it doesn`t come off, then I use some QD to remove any overspray from the wheel/body panels.

If you choose to wipe it off, you`ll be left with a matte look on your tires.

Here`s 10 minutes after application, almost dry:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f175/phahn123/tire_rightafter.jpg

Hope this helps...

Pete

MattPersman
11-11-2007, 08:08 PM
I agree on the spray on walk away with the optimum. you can get a super matte look if you want by wiping off excess after a few minutes or just apply with applicator to tire.

*slight hijack*

Bigpoppa, I also saw the price increase, 1st gallon I bought I remember it was like 23-25 bucks. now its 36 (yikes just checked 2 sites). looks like the best way would be to get the 5 gallons :) people already think weird things when they see my personal gallon bottles of detailing products

BTW what products have you gone to for alternative to Opt?

I used the stoner years ago, I can not remember it setting the world on fire or I would still be using it I am sure

itb76
11-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Stoners is nice initially but its durability isn`t very good in my tests. Fades away pretty fast. One of the reasons I no longer use it.

My experience exactly, except I`d say MSLT fades really fast. I still use it on the wheelwells of my wife`s 4wd, but I`m using Z16 for my tires now. And I`m not a Zaino user otherwise.

ptaylor_9849
11-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I`ve tried alot of tire shine and I keep coming back to the simplicity of Stoners. They have a great nozzle that applies product evenly and very fast. However, as with many spray products it tends to drift onto the paint if there`s a breeze. No sling either.

Patrick

cheapshot
11-12-2007, 05:52 AM
PB`S BNB has worked well for me, I spray tire, then spread using EO curved applicator, wait 10 to 15, then hit with applicator again. BNB has a very nice look. MY alternatives are EO`s tire stuff, can`t remember the name, though it`s a lil` shiny.

Bigpoppa3346
11-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Bigpoppa, I also saw the price increase, 1st gallon I bought I remember it was like 23-25 bucks. now its 36 (yikes just checked 2 sites). looks like the best way would be to get the 5 gallons :) people already think weird things when they see my personal gallon bottles of detailing products

BTW what products have you gone to for alternative to Opt?

Ouch, last time I checked it was like $29 for a gallon at TOL, now it`s $37. Compared to last year when I bought a gallon for like $20 or $21, that is a huge price increase.

Right now I`m using a mix of the Optimum and Armor All Origional (water based) in a small FK1 spray sampler bottle. Once I run out of the Optimum, I`ll probably use just Armor All or Megs Hyper Dressing 3:1.

RTexasF
11-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I`m still using Stoner`s more than any other. Ease of use, very low cost when purchased by the case from Stoner`s, and it works on more than tires alone. Wheel wells, engines, black plastic air dams, lost of uses and only one product to buy. It`s still my favorite.

imported_altez
11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Mother`s FX has been my favorite, though I haven`t tried much of the extoic stuff.