PDA

View Full Version : New to the site, but not to the trade

pl_silverado
11-11-2007, 12:09 AM
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Greg.

I recently detailed a couple cars out of boredom, 2 of which were my own, and one was a neighbors and realized that i missed doing this type of work. For the past few months i`ve been working in an office doing sales...god i hate it. Mobile detailing is not sounding too bad at the moment, as long as i can plan it correctly.

I have somewhat of a background.

I`ve been working in a bodyshop since i was 12 years old, i`ve done every aspect of bodywork from structural repair to refinishing. I still do minor paint work on the side, but have recently decided to do more detailing. I know what a rotary can do to paint, and love 3m piII rubbing compound...especially the way a car looks after a fresh paint job, sanding, and buffing :drool:... so i know my way around a rotary.

I expect to learn something new everyday, and i usually do. Up until a week ago i had no idea something like ONR exists...now i have a gallon on the way and some microfiber towels to try it out.

Lets see. The products i use are sort of limited at the moment. Off of the top of my head, heres a list of products currently in my detailing cabinet.

DW849 Rotary

2 3M White Foam Compounding Pads

2 3M Black Foam Polishing Pads

3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound

3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze - Dark

3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze - Light

3M Light Cut Compound

3M Imperial Hand Glaze

Mothers 3 Phase, Cleaner, Sealant & Wax

Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax

Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Wax (worked wonders on faded trim)

Meguiars Gold Class Interior Wipes

Some Leather Wipes

Snap-on Quick Mist Detailer

DuPont Teflon Tire Shine

DuPont Teflon Tire Cleaner

Thats all i can remember at the moment. As you can see, i currently use primarily 3M compounds and glazes...which is what im used to using in the shop. Im slowly starting to try out new products. ONR is on the way and i cant wait to try it.

I`ve been lurking and reading for a couple weeks now, i finally decided its time for an intro...so hi everyone

My moms maxima, which was neglected for a couple months.

Before:

https://publish.comcast.net/rpath/ENdZJBrbOU1vYgJfxM9fKO_fwN8M7eivKTKgS34ASUu7LBKUTB AIz8roIdIQFU9uaOWIdAkQHmeF8IvtQm_-mptJm56Uom2DuCVXeOkogRE/

After:

https://publish.comcast.net/rpath/xMNuTd5uwnVjhhoVtaFTaeA4YOJl0TgR6s47Gx-IJDjmS_YqGFqKgETXkb5l1MEI7hUjIoUy-aJNmF6y6aEnVI92syeBcbNpzhy23--V1j0/

Not bad for a 2000 and 160k miles.

My old truck after driving 1200 miles in 24 hours

http://home.comcast.net/~gkrolikowski16/this_is_how_i_roll.jpg

and here`s what i get to use if the rotary ever decides to bite my head off. (which has never happened... knock on wood)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i178/m3transporter/sata2.jpg

As for the questions i saw in the intro thread...here i go.

We want to hear your story. Let us interview you with the following questions:

1. How did you wind up at Autopia?

Found the link over on offtopic.

2. What do you like most about detailing?

Seeing the finished result after working my butt off.

3. What are your favorite products/processes and why?

I`ve been using mainly 3M PI II Products on a DW849.

4. What`s your dream car and why?

Black on Black Toyota Supra TT, because i remember the first time i ever saw one..and said to myself i must have one someday... then F&F came out and prices skyrocketed...close second on the list is a Black on Black G35 Coupe. Im talking realistic cars here ;) I`d take a bugatti veyron in a heartbeat.

5. What`s the best thing you learned on Autopia?

I`ve learned way too much already to even pick one thing. I guess switching to MF towels, as i`ve never used them.

6. What are some of your other hobbies and interests?

I do automotive work, from mechanical to bodywork. Structural repairs to refinishing. I have a problem with tools, im addicted to buying tools and equipment.

7. Do you have any pets? If so, types, names, pics.

yes. golden retriever.

8. Name three secret techniques that you think you should share to fellow Autopians.

9. Where are you from and where do you live now?

Originally from Poland, i live in Philadelphia.

10. What was you first car and what got you interested in keeping cars perfect?

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V... Red. I was 16 and had the first one in the area.

11. What motivates you to detail?

Depends. I hate dirty cars, i like making money.

12. Would you ever pay someone else to detail your car?

Only someone i trust.

13. Does detailing run in the family at all, or are you the only normal one?

Just me.

14. What is your favorite part about detailing?

Seeing myself in the reflection.

15. If detailing is a hobby for you, would you like to do it full time, or do you feel that it

would take the fun out of it?

Detailing has been somewhat of a hobby for me for years now...but i think im going to make the leap to full time and try to make a career out of it. I have enough other automotive related hobbies :chuckle:

imported_JoshVette
11-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Don`t forget about claybaring as well, it is key in the beginning processes of most detailing and really preps the surface for machine polishing or sealing.:bigups

Josh

pl_silverado
11-13-2007, 08:29 AM
^ the maxima in the pic was claybarred before everything else.

imported_JoshVette
11-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Looks good, guess I just didn`t see that part in the process write up. oh well.

Good luck with it all.

Josh