PDA

View Full Version : i think i applied ksg wrong

3wide
11-10-2007, 05:25 PM
i think i applied it wrong because it was so easy to apply and remove. i got it through a trade because i wanted to try it, read alot of good and bad reviews. i didn`t expect it to replace my exp but i think it has. goes on and off easier and no dusting!! my one complaint is it smells like the buisness end of a drain snake.:lol but if i get good lasting protection out of what little effort i did today, wow i`m sold. i did half of my good car and all of my girlfriends car. it`s easier to put on black than lighter colors because you can see the thin layer better. i put it on with a mist sprayer and a damp mf applicator. i`ll have to get another mist sprayer, the cheap one i bought is a pos! finding good products rocks!!

:2thumbs:

BRODEY1
11-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I use a mist spayer and a damp Mf or foam applicator using the WOWO method. I get great results, and I can do my entire car in less than 10 minutes. Sounds like you are doing just fine, get 3-5 layers on there for killer results and protection to get you through winter in Iowa.

3wide
11-10-2007, 10:30 PM
how long do you wait inbetween layers?

Accumulator
11-11-2007, 01:42 PM
how long do you wait inbetween layers?

I follow the conventional wisdom and wait ~24 hours, give or take. But some people claim you don`t need to wait nearly that long :nixweiss

FWIW six layers lasted me much longer than just through winter. FWIW#2 Griot`s Car Wash doesn`t seem to have *any* detrimental effect of KSG, doesn`t strip for me it even after months of washes. With six layers and the right shampoo, you won`t have to redo it until you get enough marring that you want to polish anyway.

3wide
11-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I follow the conventional wisdom and wait ~24 hours, give or take. But some people claim you don`t need to wait nearly that long :nixweiss

FWIW six layers lasted me much longer than just through winter. FWIW#2 Griot`s Car Wash doesn`t seem to have *any* detrimental effect of KSG, doesn`t strip for me it even after months of washes. With six layers and the right shampoo, you won`t have to redo it until you get enough marring that you want to polish anyway.

do use aio before your layers of sg? i was just doing some application tests this weekend, just to see if i like the stuff, so it was applied over fairly fresh exp. if i would have had more time i would have stripped ever thing off with my ssr`s, but shoulda coulda woulda. if the weathers nice next weekend i`ll do that. i`ve read people saying sg won`t stick to anything but aio, but i find that hard to believe.

3wide
11-12-2007, 12:58 AM
does aj have the nasty odor like sg? what about durability, is it on par with sg?

Accumulator
11-12-2007, 01:38 PM
do use aio before your layers of sg? i was just doing some application tests this weekend, just to see if i like the stuff, so it was applied over fairly fresh exp. if i would have had more time i would have stripped ever thing off with my ssr`s, but shoulda coulda woulda. if the weathers nice next weekend i`ll do that. i`ve read people saying sg won`t stick to anything but aio, but i find that hard to believe.

The only time I use AIO is after a polishing, and then yeah, it`s my underlying product before KSG. But otherwise I just keep layering KSG, using Sonus green Ultra-Fine clay as needed to have a clean surface.

I wouldn`t be too surprised if KSG bonds to the EXP. People have layered KSG with other things (e.g. UPP, well, if IIRC) and I wouldn`t be in a big hurry to do unnecessary work if I were you ;)

3wide
11-12-2007, 03:05 PM
The only time I use AIO is after a polishing, and then yeah, it`s my underlying product before KSG. But otherwise I just keep layering KSG, using Sonus green Ultra-Fine clay as needed to have a clean surface.

I wouldn`t be too surprised if KSG bonds to the EXP. People have layered KSG with other things (e.g. UPP, well, if IIRC) and I wouldn`t be in a big hurry to do unnecessary work if I were you ;)

why do use aio after polishing? i would think after a good polish the paint would be as clean as it could be, ready for the sg?

imported_smprince1
11-12-2007, 03:30 PM
why do use aio after polishing? i would think after a good polish the paint would be as clean as it could be, ready for the sg?

Personally, I use AIO after polishing in case there are any polishing oils, etc. remaining to disrupt proper bonding of the SG. Plus, the AIO leaves a little acyrlic base as a prep for the SG.

porta
11-12-2007, 04:44 PM
I have heard that the first layer will cure 90% the first hour, this was Carlack sealant glaze. But they are more or less the same product.

Paulie Walnuts
11-12-2007, 04:50 PM
I didnt love the look of SG but I loved the protection. Lasted a little longer than Zaino. To boost the look I topped with UPP and that rocked.

Accumulator
11-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Personally, I use AIO after polishing in case there are any polishing oils, etc. remaining to disrupt proper bonding of the SG. Plus, the AIO leaves a little acyrlic base as a prep for the SG.

Yeah, that`s the general idea. While my pre-Klasse polishes (3M PI-III line) don`t leave anything behind AFAIK, I just like preceding the KSG with their prep product. One last chance to make sure the surface is nice and clean...

I didnt love the look of SG but I loved the protection...

Yeah, I feel the same way, but I quit topping it because, well, it`s the minivan :o

I have heard that the first layer will cure 90% the first hour, this was Carlack sealant glaze. But they are more or less the same product.

I suppose there`s the "what about that last 10% though?" but yeah, I somehow suspect that the 24 hour rule is just a convenient general approximation that`s known to be more than sufficient.