PDA

View Full Version : Help! Neglected Suspension Coils. What to use?!?

PeterY
11-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi guys,

I have a set of coilovers on my car that I have unfortunately neglected over the past 2 winters. Now the coil threads are covered with caked in dirt to the point where the threads aren`t showing very well.

What can I do to remedy this situation? I am correct that I would want to use an APC or degresser? Does Simple Green work for this type of problem? If so, what dilution strength?

If not, what do you guys suggest? I`m looking for a chemical that I can find locally since I wanted to tackle the issue this weekend.

My main concern is that since there is so much debris in the coil threads, if I don`t get a chemical that really loosens up and removes some dirt by spraying on and rinsing, I can potentially do more harm than good by grinding down the threads when removing the dirt with a brush.

Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Peter

cjbigcog
11-09-2007, 10:34 PM
When I detail my wheel wells I use hot water with Dawn to clean. After its dry I give everything a coat of Griot`s under carriage spray and wipe off the excess. Gives everything a nice shine.

Stephenwz968
11-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I think simple green should do the trick-I would dilute it 4:1 (which is really strong) and try that. It may take a few applications and some agitation from a stiff brush, but it should work.

You could also try some brake cleaner or engine degreaser if simple green isn`t cutting it.

Steve

jesselyons2002
11-10-2007, 01:41 AM
I would just use simple green or apc full strength.