PDA

View Full Version : Fine Detailing Clay from Sonus: A Review

SilverLexus
07-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Tried an interesting product today from Sonus. It`s a new "fine grade" green clay bar that came with Sonus Glyde lubricant in a pre-production sample kit.

Glyde is a quality lube so let`s leave that aside and focus on the performance of this product...it is formulated for more regular claying of cars in fine condition. I used the product on my ES which has AIO+Souveran but was very dirty after 2 weeks of Atlanta showers. I cut the sample bar in half and went to work...here are some impressions:

1. It is very soft in a good way. You can tell they engineered it to be more gentle on the paint.

2. It stills picks up a bit of contaminants from the surface. On my car the areas behind the wheels and the roof had some contaminants.

3. It leaves a nice slick surface behind. My AIO is holding up so soon I will be going straight to another layer of Souveran which is my favorite wax and looks terrific on silver.

4. Can`t really comment on packaging but my experience with Sonus is that it will likely have a nice plastic box like their other clay which is the way to go.

5. The only negative and its a very minor one is that you need to fold the clay over more frequently since it is softer.

Overall, I give the product an "A" based on one car`s experience. I wonder if these new finer clays might be a new trend toward a more frequent clay process and better surface preparation.

jaybs02
07-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the review

Raven
07-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Great review, was planning on ordering some soon.

SilverLexus
07-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I guess they are calling this ultrafine clay, by the way. In any event I am glad you like the review. :)

SVR
07-04-2005, 08:22 AM
I guess they are calling this ultrafine clay, by the way. In any event I am glad you like the review. :)

Thanks for the review, my full size sonus glyde and green clay sample arrived on friday after ordering a week ago.
David B from autopia and I chatted about it by email over the weekend and I can`t wait to try it out on my car`s paint with around 5 coats of sealer on it.
He claims it doesn`t take paint protection off, I hope it doesn`t

Wonder how it will go on my ride`s sealed glass (FMJ, UPP, WG)

SilverLexus
07-04-2005, 02:23 PM
I think David is right...it does not seem to take any paint protection off...it`s too soft for that by design.