PDA

View Full Version : Porter cable buffer??

Pages : [1] 2 3

blownvert
11-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Is this a good investment? I maybe want to get one. I am not detailing other cars, but more for myself, but maybe I will detail other cars and small business, who knows. Is it always good to have? I see there kind of expensive. I like cleaning my car.

joshtpa
11-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Yes. Quick search, you will see most weekend warriors on here love it.

imported_JoshVette
11-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Yes, I bought mine for the same reasons as you when I owned a black Corvette. It is a must have for serious enthusiasts.

It will take your car care to a whole new level. Read up and learn about the different types of pads and chemicals and what they do and you`ll be ahead of the game.

Tallboy
11-08-2007, 10:16 AM
I love mine, it`s an effective, confidence-building product. Get one and you may never wax by hand again!:waxing:

widyhs
11-08-2007, 12:18 PM
It is really a good tool for removing those nasty swirls. Make sure you get correct pads. The last time I bought, they shiped me all these finishing pads (LCC white, Black, Red) which I have little use for. I think some of the sites are having sale on them, for about 199 you get a set of pads and PC. They also do kit them out with the FP and IP polishes.

J.J.
11-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Seeing as how you`re here at Autopia, you should look into buying a UDM.

FOUND HERE (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/udm-1000-na.html)

3wide
11-08-2007, 02:21 PM
not too long ago i was in your shoes, deciding weather or not to buy one. i`m really glad i did. even if you use it just to apply waxes and sealants, i believe it`s worth it. my initial investment was around $200, but i feel better about my black car now knowing when i get swirls and scratches i`ve got tools to correct them. peice of mind is worth alot more than $200.

:buffing:

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Had I known now about the Flex when I was purchasing my PC I would have skipped the PC purchase bought the flex.

Do some searches on ot and I am sure you will be impressed

blownvert
11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Seeing as how you`re here at Autopia, you should look into buying a UDM.

FOUND HERE (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/udm-1000-na.html)

what is with this UDM? Isnt a porter cable better and less dangerous to damaging paint because it vibrates and this one spins like a rotatary.

Eliot Ness
11-08-2007, 06:50 PM
what is with this UDM? Isnt a porter cable better and less dangerous to damaging paint because it vibrates and this one spins like a rotatary.The UDM is just like a PC except it has a little more power. The following thread explains it pretty well:

http://autopia.org/forum/ultimate-detailing-machine/88388-ultimate-detailing-machine-project.html

I have both a PC and a UDM and I prefer the UDM`s increased power and consider them both pretty safe to use.

rwisejr
11-08-2007, 06:50 PM
UDM is very similar to the PC but has more power . I own both and a rotary. You can`t go wrong with either.

red4.8
11-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Got mine new on e-bay for under $100...

DJ_JonnyV
11-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Like MotorCity said, take a good look at the Flex. If you`re looking to start detailing some other folks` cars, then you`ll want something that works quicker than the PC or UDM. Yeah it`s more money, but has a lot more rear-end to it as well. I believe the UDM tops out at 6600 OPM, the PC at 6000 OPM and the Flex at 9600 OPM with 480 RPM forced rotation. When using my PC for polishign, I was always second guessing myself on whether I was truly breaking down the polish. Now, with the Flex, there`s no doubt at all.

KnuckleBuckett
11-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Get one. They are about $130 and worth twice that. You cannot do by hand what the PC can do. Better, unlike a rotary you can`t burn your paint. Very easy and safe to use. Huge time saver as well. Go for it!! I love mine!

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
11-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Like MotorCity said, take a good look at the Flex. If you`re looking to start detailing some other folks` cars, then you`ll want something that works quicker than the PC or UDM. Yeah it`s more money, but has a lot more rear-end to it as well. I believe the UDM tops out at 6600 OPM, the PC at 6000 OPM and the Flex at 9600 OPM with 480 RPM forced rotation. When using my PC for polishign, I was always second guessing myself on whether I was truly breaking down the polish. Now, with the Flex, there`s no doubt at all.

I was wondering if I was typing with invisible text there for a second lol... that will be my next hardware purchase, then I have a feeling my PC will be for carpet duty!!