PDA

View Full Version : Super Glue on my paint

Pages : [1] 2

XyX
11-08-2007, 12:32 AM
So yea..I`m an idiot..truly. I was putting new emblems on my car and i got super glue smeared on my fender..I feel like a total idiot for it..What do you guys suggest that can take it off?:sadpace:

Brian_Brice
11-08-2007, 12:37 AM
hopefully it was enough to make bead. if not you have to go through the motions, stoners tarminator, 3m adhesive remover etc etc plastic razor blade will help, think you might need a much stronger solvent though, never delt with it, just giving you ideas

XyX
11-08-2007, 12:50 AM
I was looking around and someone suggest mr.clean magic eraser and maybe some good ol` wd-40?..

XyX
11-08-2007, 01:43 AM
searched around..seems acetone and nitromethane will take it off..but nobody ever posts if either worked out for them...Well bright and early I`ll go grab some acetone....HOPEFULLY..i can just use a cuetip and get it off..:(

JBs
11-08-2007, 02:07 AM
2500 grit sandpaper on the end of a pencil (cutout to the eraser), and a Porter Cable...

i doubt tarminator is going to get that stuff off

XyX
11-08-2007, 12:33 PM
just tried acetone and rubbing alch. neither worked..:(..this is upsetting...uhmm only other things are the mr.clean magic eraser and nitromethane. But what exactly is nitromethane?

jshillin
11-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Try lacquer thinner

XyX
11-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Try lacquer thinner

hrmm..I read in other previous posts..that lacquer thinner may be too strong..But I`ll try that too. I called the actual glue company and the tech guy said they don`t provide any solvent to remove it, but suggest either trying to freeze it with ice or take a damp rag and letting it sit over 24hrs and it will weaken the glue. The ice didnt really work..but i was thinking of getting an electronic air duster and flipping it upside down and shooting the spot of glue to freeze it. And kind of tap it to see if the glue falls off.

jshillin
11-08-2007, 01:18 PM
hrmm..I read in other previous posts..that lacquer thinner may be too strong..But I`ll try that too. I called the actual glue company and the tech guy said they don`t provide any solvent to remove it, but suggest either trying to freeze it with ice or take a damp rag and letting it sit over 24hrs and it will weaken the glue. The ice didnt really work..but i was thinking of getting an electronic air duster and flipping it upside down and shooting the spot of glue to freeze it. And kind of tap it to see if the glue falls off.

I`d try lacquer thinner before I tried to quick freeze the paint. Paint doesn`t like sudden changes in temperature...

XyX
11-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Ace - Ace Tree: Hardware: Adhesives, Glue & Tape: Adhesive Removers: DuroƂ® Super Glue Remover (01-80844) - 12 Pack (http://www.acehardware.com/sm-duro-and-reg-super-glue-remover-01-80844-12-pack--pi-1418920.html)

What about that?

BigJimZ28
11-08-2007, 03:02 PM
go to a hobby shop they make a

super glue remover

Tallboy
11-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Go inside and grab some of your wife`s nail polish remover.

Worked for me. [Don`t ask...:chuckle: ]

BigJimZ28
11-08-2007, 03:08 PM
also I think super glue is a poor choice

it has no shock resistance one good tap or too many potholes and it`s gone

XyX
11-08-2007, 03:35 PM
go to a hobby shop they make a

super glue remover

No hobby lobby close by..closest is about 45 mins. Not that i don`t want to go but the link i posted in my previous post shows a super glue remover. I wonder if that`d work.

Go inside and grab some of your wife`s nail polish remover.

Worked for me. [Don`t ask...:chuckle: ]

Tried it..doesnt work on this glue:confused:

XyX
11-08-2007, 03:37 PM
also I think super glue is a poor choice

it has no shock resistance one good tap or too many potholes and it`s gone

The emblem itself pops into place..just wanted to give it some "help".