PDA

View Full Version : Need a source of power for condo underground garage

dalethompson
11-07-2007, 01:04 PM
I just moved to a condo in September after my wedding in late August. Haven`t detailed anything (not even my own car) as I`ve been way too busy getting our condo redone and stuff like that.

I took a look around in our Condo underground garage and noticed that there aren`t any electrical outlets... anywhere! I was kinda bummed out since the garage is nice for temperature (it`s four floors underground) and lighting as well. In short, would be perfect for detailing cars all Winter-long.

Does anyone have a way or an idea how I can get transportable power or some sort of non-gas generator to work for 3-4 hours at a time? Basically, I just have a Porter Cable and vacuum to use, nothing else at all.

Any suggestions/comments/opinions welcome :)

TIA,

Dale

joshtpa
11-07-2007, 01:11 PM
You can always get an inverter and run it off the car battery.

dalethompson
11-07-2007, 05:17 PM
interesting... I never thought of that before. I mean, I`m not using that much power I guess. The only thing I guess would be how much juice does a car battery give off and how long could I use it before I would drain it. I have to remember that it wouldn`t be my car I would be running it off of too.

joshtpa
11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Why dont you pull your car close and run it off of that?

mschuyler
11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Well, there IS electricity down there--it`s lit, isn`t it? I know condo covenants are weird, but it wouldn`t cost much to have an electrician put a plug near an overhead light. I just had this done myself, though I do own the house. That part of the project was less than $100. (I also had the place wired for a generator.) Next, get a retractable extension cord from some place like Home Depot. Mine cost $35. These hang down the ceiling and come with a three-plex plug-in on the end. They are very heavy duty, made of metal. You just pull the cord down to where you need it. When you`re done just give it a tug and it will retract back into its reel. Alternatively the electrician could surface mount a plug at normal height, even with a on-off switch for the plug. You probably would have to get permission from the condo board to make an alteration like this, but technically it`s pretty easy.

Mikeyc
11-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Depending on what kind of light fixtures are down there you may be able to get one of those outlets that screws into a light socket (then the bulb screws into the other end so you still have light).

Bert
11-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Depending on what kind of light fixtures are down there you may be able to get one of those outlets that screws into a light socket (then the bulb screws into the other end so you still have light).

This would be your best bet assuming the use typical household bulbs.

If that doesn`t work, you could get a small propane powered generator. I say propane because being in a garage, the fumes from a generator may not be able to ventilate fast enough and could create a dangerous environment.

ryan87500
11-07-2007, 05:35 PM
if you live in a condo you have very strict rules, so be careful doing anything like running electricity etc. You might even have rules against doing anything to your car in the garage. I know it might sound silly but that is what sucks about condo living. Hopefully you can at least get away with using ONR and waxing by hand.

Do you have a friends or parents place you can do your PC work?

red4.8
11-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Just set up a temp. recepticle or cord end off one of the lights. Something to plug an extention cord into.

dalethompson
11-10-2007, 03:16 PM
My building is kinda strict about doing anything outside of your own place. I don`t think they`d be thrilled if I tried to get power from a light, but I think the idea is a good one though :(

I can check my local Canadian Tire I suppose and see if there`s any portable power solutions, at this point I`ll consider anything really as long as it`s not too much $$$.

Thanks for all the advice too, much appreciated!

-Dale

imported_altez
11-10-2007, 03:38 PM
You can always get an inverter and run it off the car battery.

I second using a propane generator over an inverter. An inverter will reduce the life of your electronics since the power it delivers is very dirty unless you get a true RMS inverter which is pricey.