PDA

View Full Version : Touchless Carwash

kajunman
11-07-2007, 12:51 PM
I usually wash my 2006 Kia Optima my hand but it hasnt`t been washed in 3 weeks and is really dirty. I thought about running it through a touchless carwash at the Texaco station before hand washing it. I would use a pressure washer but don`t own one. I have Prime: Acrylic and AJT on the car now. I was wondering how strong the detergent is in these touchless carwash. Do you guys think it will effect the Prime: Acrylic and AJT ?

Accumulator
11-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I usually wash my 2006 Kia Optima my hand but it hasnt`t been washed in 3 weeks and is really dirty. I thought about running it through a touchless carwash at the Texaco station... I was wondering how strong the detergent is in these touchless carwash. Do you guys think it will effect the Prime: Acrylic and AJT ?

Hard to say, depends on what stuff they use and how it`s mixed up :nixweiss

I`ve never had any real problems with touchless washes stripping LSPs, but you just never know. But if it helps prevent marring, I`d consider it a worthwhile trade-off. Redoing a LSP is one thing, polishing out scratches is a whole `nother ballgame.

But honestly, I`d just wash it with a foamgun, using a BHB for the initial passes (foamgun output shot through bristles). I do marring-free washes that way even when a vehicle is caked with gritty winter [stuff].

sixty7mustang22
11-07-2007, 01:04 PM
It is stronger than regular hand car wash, but it isn`t that much stronger in some cases. Depends on the carwash though. It is probably even heavily diluted in some carwashes so the owner can save money. It isn`t a given across the board that it is really strong. Different carwashes use different washes and dilute different.

I don`t think it will have a big impact on the wax/sealant for just the one time. Doing it multiple times is what will stip the wax/sealant off quicker.

I would go for it if the car is really dirty. Otherwise, just hand wash it if you are going to do that anyway.

imported_bpfoley
11-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Collinite 476s markets itself as a detergent proof LSP. that should be able to stand up to some touchless car washing, or at least that is my hope this winter.

Accumulator
11-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Collinite 476s markets itself as a detergent proof LSP. that should be able to stand up to some touchless car washing, or at least that is my hope this winter.

The 476S on the Blazer didn`t seem to be affected by our local touchless.

3wide
11-08-2007, 01:41 PM
i perfer to use the coin op sprayer as oppose to the touchless, alot cheaper and you can do abetter job of getting all the dirtier parts cleaner. the one thing i like about the touchless is that is has a dryer. but if you`re going to hand wash it at home anyway that`s not a benefit i`d pay for.