PDA

View Full Version : YIKES! Drove over paint on the road.

Pages : [1] 2

jaged
11-07-2007, 04:43 AM
As the title states...I noticed today that I drove over some paint on the road and its all up in the wheel well and some splatter on the fenders. The paint seems to be of an oil based....any suggestion on how to get this off?

mikered30
11-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Wash, WD-40, wash again, and then reapply wax.

joshtpa
11-07-2007, 08:24 AM
WD40 did not do it for me, when I had the problem, but suprisingly enough, P21S Total Auto Wash did.

medic159
11-07-2007, 09:37 AM
WD40 usually does the trick but applying Peanut Butter also can work

Mikeyc
11-07-2007, 10:10 AM
That happened to me a couple of months ago. Some dumb azz in my neighborhood threw a can of paint in the trash and when it was picked up by the garbage men they leaked it all over the road. Of course, I didn`t see it and ran over it with my 2 week old car.

This seemed to be latex paint and because it was SO fresh and I had a relatively fresh coat of wax on the car it was pretty easy to get rid of. On the paint I used clay and in the wheel wells (my front wells are plastic lined and the rear ones are lined with carpet) I sprayed with Meguiar`s Safe D-greaser and scrubbed with a brush. I also used my pressure washer in some hard to get to areas of the wheel well.

Accumulator
11-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Last time I dealt with this I found that clay worked well on the LSPed surfaces that had paint on them.

In the wells it was a different story, in some areas I had to chip it off with my fingernail (especially untreated plastics, the paint really bit into those surfaces) and I gotta admit that I didn`t get every last speck of it...years later it`s still there (this is on my wife`s A8). Even lacquer thinner didn`t work as well as I`d expected (and it was a risky proposition due to repainted areas).

jaged
11-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Thank for all the replys.

So I had the chance to tackle the nightmare ahead of me and started to work on the paint. It wasn`t too difficult to remove the splatter on the paint but when I look at whats in the wheel well, I was a little overwhelmed...:help:

After closer inspection....I`m not 100% sure it`s a oil based paint anymore, it could be an acrylic (water) based paint.

If dealing with acrylic (water) based paint should I be using something different?

Mikeyc
11-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Thank for all the replys.

So I had the chance to tackle the nightmare ahead of me and started to work on the paint. It wasn`t too difficult to remove the splatter on the paint but when I look at whats in the wheel well, I was a little overwhelmed...:help:

After closer inspection....I`m not 100% sure it`s a oil based paint anymore, it could be an acrylic (water) based paint.

If dealing with acrylic (water) based paint should I be using something different?

What is the inside of your wheel well like? Does it have a rubber coating? Is it just painted? Is there a plastic or carpet like liner?

Knowing what your wheel well is like will help people make suggestions.

ALAN81
11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
MIKEYC.....Did you say your rear wheel wells are lined with carpet?

Mikeyc
11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
MIKEYC.....Did you say your rear wheel wells are lined with carpet?

Yup! It`s an Infiniti G35x. My fiancee`s Volvo S60 also has carpet in the rear wheel wells, but it`s just a small panel of it. Mine is almost the whole rear wheel well. It seems to be made out of nylon thread.

So far it`s kind of a PITA. Leaves, pine needles, etc. get caught in it pretty good. Pressure washing them seems to liberate the foreign matter from the carpet pretty easily though.

P1et
11-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Carpet in the wheel wells? That is pimpin`!

joshtpa
11-07-2007, 05:24 PM
What year Volvo is it?

Mikeyc
11-07-2007, 05:26 PM
What year Volvo is it?

I think it`s an `06. It has a small panel of this "carpet" right behind the wheel.

joshtpa
11-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Wow, I have an 06 and it doesnt have that...Different models I guess.

Mikeyc
11-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Wow, I have an 06 and it doesnt have that...Different models I guess.

Yeah, according to your sig your car is an S40 and my fiancee`s car is an S60.