PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about old paint?

theflyingturtle
11-06-2007, 02:42 PM
It looks like I`ll soon be getting my hands on my dad`s supercharged MGB:woohoo: . I think it`s a 1980 model and it`s in mint condition due to the fact that got sick and then hurt shortly after buying it on Ebay. It`s been sitting under a car cover for the last.... 3-4 years or so. The last time I went up to visit him I peeked under the cover and the paint looked perfect. I figured that I`ll do the usual; wash, clay, Menzerna or Danase polish, AIO, SG (A couple of coats), then P21s. Or this could be a good time to get that tin of Souveran I`ve always wanted. I`ll probably just lower the PC`s speed a bit and check my work more frequently than normal. What do I need to be aware of so that I don`t screw the thing up?

imported_themightytimmah
11-07-2007, 01:21 PM
If it`s single stage (original), it`s probably going to be very soft. SS paints take very well to an oily polish and glaze topped by a carnauba, and I don`t really like the look of sealants on them - consider picking up some Meguiar`s #80, #7 and Souveran. Try #80/PC 5/white polishing pad followed by #7, pc 4, black finishing pad and then Souveran by hand. The results will knock your socks off.