PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with Compound and light cutting pad?

Carbon Blue
11-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Just as the title reads, Im about to do a car that has oxidized paint. Its nothing too crazy but the back bumper of the car is light/oxidized red (almost pink) and if you run your hands through it, IT IS VERY gritty and rough. The car is an 03 Sentra SER Spec V and it appears to have single stage paint with no clearcoat. I was planning on using some Menzerna Powergloss on the car followed by menzerna final polish via UDM on speed 6, but I was wondering if it will still be capable of fixing the defect with an orange lake country light cutting pad?? Would I just have to make more passes since the pad being used will not be as aggressive as a yellow LC pad?? Also the car has about 64,000 miles and has probably never seen a polish/wax job in its life. Would it still be safe to compound the entire car even if some portions look ok?

imported_JoshVette
11-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Good question.

I would like to think an 03 model of any car would be clear coated, just because it`s rough doesn`t mean it`s not clear`d just hasn`t been taken care of.

I would first wash, then use an aggresive Clay on it to remove as much of the roughness as possible. Then polish it out as you`re thinking, on speed 6 with the orange pad and Menz PG. You might even have to do this a few times if it`s bad enough. Then finish it down like you said. Rewash to get the Menz. lubes off and seal with whatever you feel best.:2thumbs:

Take some before and after pics, I`d love to see how it turns out.:buffing:

Josh

Carbon Blue
11-05-2007, 09:10 PM
thanks for the tip, the paint is probably the worst I have ever seen on such a newer model year car. When you run your fingers over the paint it makes these noises similar to that of sandpaper on a chalkboard. The car has spent its whole life outside with no cover and for all I know could have been watched with a scotchbrite pad :( .

imported_JoshVette
11-05-2007, 10:10 PM
thanks for the tip, the paint is probably the worst I have ever seen on such a newer model year car. When you run your fingers over the paint it makes these noises similar to that of sandpaper on a chalkboard. The car has spent its whole life outside with no cover and for all I know could have been watched with a scotchbrite pad :( .

Sounds like a good challenge.....:buffing: