PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 476 over NXT??

williamssd
11-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Well, I think I messed up and after claying my car I applied Meguiar`s NXT (one coat). I was really happy at first (extremely slick, nice finish). However, I misunderstood the durability/longevity of NXT.

It is now nearly Winter in Wisconsin, and I`ve been told that Collinite 476s is about as good as it comes to six month protection (to get me through the Winter).

If I were to re-clay my car again, would that remove the NXT so that I could apply the Collinite? Or, do I not need to worry about applying Collinite over the NXT? I`ve heard that NXT is a wax, and then I`ve heard that it`s all synthetic and a sealant (and that it bonds to the paint rather than covering it).

Thanks for the help,

- Steve

SilverSeven
11-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Yeah, u can go ahead & apply the Collinite over Nxt, no problem. I`ve done this many times. And the results & durability were great. :)

On the claying, since u just clayed. I think u can skip it for the time being. Unless u think tht u need to....? Run ur palm/fingers on the paint to feel its smooth or not? If its smooth then u can safely skip the claying. :)

CV_Soccer
11-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Well, I think I messed up and after claying my car I applied Meguiar`s NXT (one coat). I was really happy at first (extremely slick, nice finish). However, I misunderstood the durability/longevity of NXT.

It is now nearly Winter in Wisconsin, and I`ve been told that Collinite 476s is about as good as it comes to six month protection (to get me through the Winter).

If I were to re-clay my car again, would that remove the NXT so that I could apply the Collinite? Or, do I not need to worry about applying Collinite over the NXT? I`ve heard that NXT is a wax, and then I`ve heard that it`s all synthetic and a sealant (and that it bonds to the paint rather than covering it).

Thanks for the help,

- SteveSome do call NXT a wax but that term is used to describe a lot of products on the market. NXT is sealant using `Engineered Synthetic Polymer` and claying your car will not get rid of the NXT or any `wax` for that fact. Claying gets rid of bonded contaminants which can damage your finish but that is it. To remove the NXT you will need a cleaner and there are many to pick from.

Go ahead and apply your Collinite directly over the NXT as there should be no problem, and I am so glad I don’t need to know how to work a snow shovel.

BigAl3
11-05-2007, 01:06 AM
claying your car will not get rid of the NXT or any `wax` for that fact.

meguiars.com: FAQ - Does clay remove wax? (http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=Auto%20Detailing%20Clay&faqQuestionID=71&section=_71#_71)

there are different grades of clay as well...

CV_Soccer
11-05-2007, 03:08 PM
meguiars.com: FAQ - Does clay remove wax? (http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=Auto%20Detailing%20Clay&faqQuestionID=71&section=_71#_71)

there are different grades of clay as well...BigAl3 is correct but for the `over the counter` consumer products you would have to clay and clay and clay where as a single application of a paint cleaner would remove the NXT.

EdLancer
11-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Its all good that was one of my favorite combos for several years for a winter prep.