PDA

View Full Version : two coats overkill?

imported_andyo
11-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi, quick dumb question.

Winter is coming here in the NE, and I just bought a certified preowned bmw in fantastic shape. i just put a coat of meguires gold liquid. I was thinking of going ahead and putting a second coat on, to help protect against the environment. is it overkill? worth it? make it look dull? or actually help protect it?

thanks for your help

gmblack3
11-03-2007, 04:13 PM
It can`t hurt. Not sure if the GC has any solvents in it that would remove the previous layer.

RTexasF
11-03-2007, 05:24 PM
I think there are better products available but that`s beside the point. A second coat (assuming it`s not a cleaner wax) will assure more complete coverage which is a good thing.

wytstang
11-03-2007, 05:25 PM
I do 2 coats just to ensure full coverage, but like mentioned if that wax contains solvents it will just remove the previous layer.

xinkid
11-03-2007, 06:20 PM
If protection is what you`re after, I would like to suggest meguiar`s #21 synthetic sealant if its available locally. It will last much longer and offer better protection. If not, Collinite IW 845 will also be a good choice. I think #21 is easier to apply though.

06c350sport
11-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I do 2 coats just to ensure full coverage, but like mentioned if that wax contains solvents it will just remove the previous layer.

I`ve wondered about this myself. I`m guessing any nuba that contains petroleum distillates is going to remove the previous layer. I`m not sure about most sealants, but I`ve often wondered - how do you KNOW multiple layers are doing any good? I`ve never been able to see a visual difference with any product.

phamkl
11-04-2007, 04:25 PM
If you sweat enough, the loss of body fluids will make your brain think you see improvement.

In my experience, layering past 2 coats is for durability. I usually end on 3 or 4. In my wholly subjective opinion, all characteristics of waxes last longer with multiple layers. That includes looks, slickness, beading and/or sheeting.

P1et
11-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Nothing wrong with two layers: it ensures even coverage.

CV_Soccer
11-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi, quick dumb question.

Winter is coming here in the NE, and I just bought a certified preowned bmw in fantastic shape. i just put a coat of meguires gold liquid. I was thinking of going ahead and putting a second coat on, to help protect against the environment. is it overkill? worth it? make it look dull? or actually help protect it?

thanks for your helpMeguiar`s® Gold Class™ Liquid Wax has in it Carnauba and polymer protecting agents which will need to be reapplied as the carnauba is the less durable of the two. Applying two thin coats will ensure that you have complete coverage but come spring I would think about switching over to a sealant, and if you want to stay with something that you can get at your local supply store I would recommend Meguiars NXT 2.0 but there are so many others out there and most you can find on this site.

Here is my GTI with two coats of NXT topped with one cost of #26

http://www.wildensten.com/GTI/583a.JPG

BRODEY1
11-05-2007, 02:17 AM
Sweet GTi !!!