PDA

View Full Version : @#$% MicroFiber Lint

Pages : [1] 2

jfsully
11-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I washed by themselves, did a separate rinse in vinegar and dried with blue balls on no heat. (and yes cleaned lint trap first)

Towels came out looking great very fluffy.........Problem is they lint like mad.

I don`t think there is anything more frustrating than waxing the car and having those little lint strands on the surface. Its especially maddening on the glass.

First how do you get that %$% off ? Spray the car with water ???

Second are Cobra towels just more prone to linting?

Third I assume some of this problem is from static, is there any way to reduce the static charge of the surface?

Eliot Ness
11-03-2007, 10:04 AM
..........First how do you get that %$% off ? Spray the car with water ???

Second are Cobra towels just more prone to linting?

Third I assume some of this problem is from static, is there any way to reduce the static charge of the surface?I haven`t really had a lint problem with my MF`s on paint. If they are good quality MF`s the lint should decrease after some more washings. I usually shake my MF`s out well before using, just to get off any loose dust or lint that may have settled on them.

To get lint off the car a QD should work well. I doubt if this would eliminate your problem, but at least one pro member here has suggested grounding the car to a water pipe (or other suitable ground) to drain off static.

What Cobra towels are you using? The only Cobra I think I own is a Guzzler WW and I don`t recall it linting.

For glass I`d suggest using a very low nap MF made for glass or a WW drying towel (http://www.pakshak.com/waffle-weave-micro-fiber-glass-towel-16x16-1.html). Use dedicated MF`s for glass use and wash separately for best results.

Setec Astronomy
11-03-2007, 10:17 AM
This is not the first time that members have complained about the Cobra Ultra Plush or whatever it`s called linting, which I also find puzzling since this is the same towel as a couple of others and I have never had any linting problems with them...but I haven`t been using them on glass which is where the real "micro lint" problems are.

NickelPlated.45
11-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I don`t like cobra towels anymore. I had the same problem using their towels to qd. They would leave a ton of lint behind. Try pakshak. Excellent towels and excellent customer service.

steelwind101
11-03-2007, 02:09 PM
For all of there claims, Cobra MF`s seem to be inconsistant in quality. They make aa deal about the supplier, find the best MF etc. But that cant be true, unless the best is only best for about 80% of what they buy/make!!

The good towels seem durable and effective. The bad ones are lintie and some of there MF/terry apps seem to fall apart to easily while others hold up just fine.

A shame b/c you dont know what you will get.

Geoff

BigAl3
11-03-2007, 04:32 PM
i`ve had issues like this as well, and sometimes there are bad batches no matter where you get them from. try doing an extra rinse cycle with just warm water...

wytstang
11-03-2007, 05:18 PM
For all of there claims, Cobra MF`s seem to be inconsistant in quality. They make aa deal about the supplier, find the best MF etc. But that cant be true, unless the best is only best for about 80% of what they buy/make!!

The good towels seem durable and effective. The bad ones are lintie and some of there MF/terry apps seem to fall apart to easily while others hold up just fine.

A shame b/c you dont know what you will get.

Geoff

The proof as they say is in the pudding

Forums -> microfibers towels under my new microscope... (http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=539128&st=0&#entry11771796)

After seeing that so up close and personal I would say AG cobra are high quality and very well built.

Edit: forgot to mention that it wasn`t mentioned whether the towels were all new or all used. Still shows a well built towel to me either way.

ron231
11-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I really dont like cobra towels, they lint more than any other brand I own, go with chemical guys elite towels.

klumzypinoy
11-04-2007, 12:21 AM
I`ve had one Cobra Jr (smaller version of Deluxe Plus) lint, but they replaced it. None of them lint as far as I`ve used them...

imported_sonyexec
11-04-2007, 01:46 AM
here`s what I use exclusively 100% terry cotton........I have never had a problem

http://www.standardtextile.com/Images/centium.gif

ron231
11-04-2007, 02:10 AM
here`s what I use exclusively 100% terry cotton........I have never had a problem

http://www.standardtextile.com/Images/centium.gif

Microfiber is superior for not scratching the surface, even if you cant see the swirls from 100% cotton (which I can) it is more abrasive and creates invisible micro cratches that make the surface less level and thus less reflective.

There are 100x magnification pictures that prove this, but I dont know where I saw them.

BigAl3
11-04-2007, 02:13 AM
There are 100x magnification pictures that prove this, but I dont know where I saw them.

here`s an example... Optimum Towels (http://optimumcarcare.com/towel.html) (towards the bottom)

nighttraingirl
11-04-2007, 03:42 PM
I have a ton of the blue microfibers from sam`s club. I use them on windows and chrome. (I have excels for paint) The sams ones have began to lint like mad....are they just junk? They are not stained or worn out. I am thinking I may have to relegate them to wheels and such. I too have been wondering if there is a way to get rid of the lint. They were washed seperate and hung to dry, I can`t figure out where this lint is coming from, either.

jb1
11-04-2007, 04:51 PM
My purple cobra jr. towels are linting too. I wash them separately and I still have lint. I`m going to try rolling them with a 3M lint brush (the ones made from sticky tape?) and see if that works. I`m starting to think that there`s a lint `````..............

phahn
11-04-2007, 06:30 PM
My purple cobra jr. towels are linting too. I wash them separately and I still have lint. I`m going to try rolling them with a 3M lint brush (the ones made from sticky tape?) and see if that works. I`m starting to think that there`s a lint `````..............

several people have had problems with these particular MF`s you mention, me included:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f175/phahn123/lint1.jpg

On the plus side, Autogeek replaced the four I bought from them after bringing this to there attention. They do have great customer service, just PM one of the Ag forum mods and they will help you out.