PDA

View Full Version : Removing painted lettering from gel coat

RAG
11-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Anybody know the best way to remove painted lettering from a boat? Solvent? Sand and buff?

imported_jbird
11-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Anybody know the best way to remove painted lettering from a boat? Solvent? Sand and buff?

try some easy off oven cleaner followed by your wax of choice,just be sure to wear some latex or rubber gloves when working with the oven cleaner

RAG
11-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks. But I`m not sure I`ll have time to go grab some before I head off to do the boat. Is it simply a stong cleaner?

Any other recommendations from anyone else?

HeadnSouth
11-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Goof off?:confused:

Boozman
11-03-2007, 07:25 PM
try some easy off oven cleaner followed by your wax of choice,just be sure to wear some latex or rubber gloves when working with the oven cleaner

I`ve used this on all the boats I`ve owned over the years works great

RitcheyRch
11-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Ditto the easy off oven cleaner

LamboBully
01-17-2008, 11:39 AM
What about an upholstry steamer?

DETAILKING
01-23-2008, 09:17 PM
That works, and so does a mild compound with a rotary.

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Like anything else, it is always best to use the least aggressive method first. And in this case, without knowing the age of the boat and general condition of the fiberglass, oven cleaner should be your last choice. Paint thinners and mineral spirits should be your first choice, followed by using a mild cleaner polish by hand. After that, a compound with a machine and as a last resort, oven cleaner. Think about it; would you use oven cleaner on a relatively new boat? Oven cleaner may make the job fast, however, it may not always be the best way to remove painted letters on fiberglass.

imported_Jakerooni
01-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Like anything else, it is always best to use the least aggressive method first. And in this case, without knowing the age of the boat and general condition of the fiberglass, oven cleaner should be your last choice. Paint thinners and mineral spirits should be your first choice, followed by using a mild cleaner polish by hand. After that, a compound with a machine and as a last resort, oven cleaner. Think about it; would you use oven cleaner on a relatively new boat? Oven cleaner may make the job fast, however, it may not always be the best way to remove painted letters on fiberglass.

Completely agree with frank here on this one. If they are painted I would probably use some mineral sprints or thinner to start breaking down the paint and then hit it with the heater powerwasher. Gotta start gentle. work your way up.

murf'n'surf
01-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I have seen this done before and sanding was the only option. After sanding the entire area was gelcoated to repair it and remove faded areas. If the solvents removed the paint you will most likely have faded gelcoat and still see the letter outlines.

LamboBully
02-04-2008, 05:15 PM
what i found out that worked really well was a glass cleaner that i use which is an alcohol based window cleaner and a razor blade for the painted on lettering. The boat that i was working on was a Sherriffs boat so it had stickers all over it and i used an upholstry steamer to loosen them up and pull them off.