PDA

View Full Version : Searched, still need help starting

tksmr2
11-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Ok, I searched and saw so many products and kits on washing your car.. I don`t know were to start.

I`ve always been taught to take two buckets, fill them up with car wash soap/water, use two clean wash mits, one for the car and the other in the other bucket for the tires and under fenders/more dirty places. Work from top down and do the tires/dirty places last.

I use the absorber.. but I have to say.. that is probably not a good idea.. but I don`t know what else to use.

I have three cars;

03 Nissan Sentra (daily driver, driven through winter, etc.. IN Pennsylvania)

93 MR2 Turbo (only driven on nice days, no rain)

87 MR2 SC ( only driven on nice days, no rain)

The 93 and 87 both have been repainted, 93 was last november, PPG base coat/clear coat. 87 in 1998 base coat, clear coat.

The 03 Sentra is orig. and is in much worse paint condition.. But.. then again.. I dont` have time nor the desire to keep up on that, other that just washing and the occasional waxing.

The 87 has some very light swirl marks all through it.. not bad.. but I would eventually like to fix that. But, I would imagine that is all due to washing improperly.

The 93 has no swirl marks.. and I want to keep it that way.

So, can anyone suggest a wash kit to get started with?

Here are pics:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/tksmr2/87%20Supercharged/DSC00374.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/tksmr2/DSC00319.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/339000-339999/339621_49_full.jpg

The pic of the Sentra is when it was new.. so that is why it looks nice.

Thanks!

J.J.
11-02-2007, 04:47 PM
YOu will have to clarify what a "wash kit" is to you.

If you want to remove swirls and other contaminants it will take more than a "wash kit".

You can buy some Megs Gold Class car wash soap locally.

You can buy Eurow sheepskin wash mits at Wal-Mart or you can buy the "Grout sponge" at Home Depot.

You have two buckets.

That`s a wash kit. Add your favorite wheel cleaner and tire prep and you`re all set. IF you would like to remove swirls, we need to talk more.

If you click on the "How to" link at the top of the page, there is a wealth of knowledge.

JJ

Jek Hawkins
11-02-2007, 04:48 PM
oh man, MR2s. I envy you, and in such great condition too...

Well, for a starter kit, I don`t think anybody will disagree with me when I say that Meg`s is a pretty safe bet. For cars as dark as yours I would go Gold Class...

tksmr2
11-02-2007, 04:55 PM
YOu will have to clarify what a "wash kit" is to you.

If you want to remove swirls and other contaminants it will take more than a "wash kit".

You can buy some Megs Gold Class car wash soap locally.

You can buy Eurow sheepskin wash mits at Wal-Mart or you can buy the "Grout sponge" at Home Depot.

You have two buckets.

That`s a wash kit. Add your favorite wheel cleaner and tire prep and you`re all set. IF you would like to remove swirls, we need to talk more.

If you click on the "How to" link at the top of the page, there is a wealth of knowledge.

JJ

Well, I want to make sure I`m using the right products for my wash/dry kit. Putting aside removing the swirls.. I want to make sure I`m using the right products (soap, bucket setup, wash mits, and drying materials).

About the swirls.. thats for another thread..

I`ll take a look at the `how` to.. thanks!

Thanks!!!

tksmr2
11-02-2007, 04:57 PM
oh man, MR2s. I envy you, and in such great condition too...

Well, for a starter kit, I don`t think anybody will disagree with me when I say that Meg`s is a pretty safe bet. For cars as dark as yours I would go Gold Class...

Thanks..

I`m guessing when people say meg`s, they mean Mcguires.. I`ve been using the soap that is a step down from Gold Class. the pinkish stuff. But, I`m out of that.. so I guess I`ll spend a bit more for the Gold.

Thanks!