PDA

View Full Version : Were to start? some orange peel,etc.

tksmr2
11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Hello,

I bought this black MR2 turbo in July. It has a PPG base coat/clear coat paint job on it.. but it`s not the best paint job as there are a few fish eyes and some spots that need attention due to a small amount of uneven orange peel on the doors and quarter panels. A

Also, the door jam threshold area has a paint line.. not really noticible.. but should be able to get that smoothed in with the original paint.

Finally, the last problem is the horrible orange peel on the inner C-pillars by the engine lid.

So, I`ve never wetsanded. The car doesn`t need much of anything on top.. well.. it can always bee more shiney. However, my main concern is eliminating the slight uneveness in orange on the doors and quarters along with the massive peel on the inner c-pillars.

What products can someone suggest I buy. I`ve always been a hand-waxer.. but I believe this is definetly going to take a machine.. but I reallly would like to stay away from a rotary at first as I don`t want to burn the paint..

Here is a link to pics of the car.. I can`t post pics until I have 10 posts.

tksmr2/93 Turbo - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/tksmr2/93%20Turbo/?start=all)

Thanks for your help!!! :)

aclassvaleting
11-01-2007, 03:14 PM
wet sanding with 2000 grade paper is the way forward then buff up with a rotary, burning

the paint is harder than you think, you would be surprised at how heat can be generated before any damage will occur. buy a old panel from the scrap yard and practice.

tksmr2
11-01-2007, 03:27 PM
`
wet sanding with 2000 grade paper is the way forward then buff up with a rotary, burning the paint is harder than you think, you would be surprised at how heat can be generated before any damage will occur. buy a old panel from the scrap yard and practice.

Hmm.. ok.. is there any tutorial here for wetsanding? I`m fairly afraid to try that. I know you do not use your bare hand to wetsand and always use clean water and clean bucket. But, other than that.. I don\`t know were to buy the materials,etc.. to do that.. and what waxes/polishes/process I use to finish. Like I said.. my doors, inner c-pillars, door jams, and quarters need the wetsanding or atleast polished with a fine cut.

Ok, I`m going to search the forums..

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/tksmr2/P1010015.jpg`

Bert
11-01-2007, 05:52 PM
`

Hmm.. ok.. is there any tutorial here for wetsanding? I`m fairly afraid to try that. I know you do not use your bare hand to wetsand and always use clean water and clean bucket. But, other than that.. I don\`t know were to buy the materials,etc.. to do that.. and what waxes/polishes/process I use to finish. Like I said.. my doors, inner c-pillars, door jams, and quarters need the wetsanding or atleast polished with a fine cut.

Ok, I`m going to search the forums..

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/tksmr2/P1010015.jpg`

There is a very good five part video series where Mike Penington of Meguiars demonstrates wet sanding. Links to these videos are on this site. Do an advanced search with Mike Penington being your search criteria.

As far as where to get some wetsand paper and a backing block - do you have a Mirror Glaze store near you? They sell Uni-grit which I believe is a good quality paper.

tksmr2
11-01-2007, 06:23 PM
There is a very good five part video series where Mike Penington of Meguiars demonstrates wet sanding. Links to these videos are on this site. Do an advanced search with Mike Penington being your search criteria.

As far as where to get some wetsand paper and a backing block - do you have a Mirror Glaze store near you? They sell Uni-grit which I believe is a good quality paper.

No, never heard of a mirror glaze store.. THere is a retail outlet close by that is not a francshise that caries more that the regular auto parts store. I believe they have 3M paper. But, don`t I have to use some sort of palm grip thing to attach the paper to? I mean.. I know your bare hand is not perfectly flat.. and therefore not good for wetsanding. I`ll watch those videos.. thanks!

tksmr2
11-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Ok.. I get a much better idea of what to do after watching those vids..

Ok, I have two options.. my brother used to detail cars as a job in the summer. He has good experience with a rotary buffer. In fact, he has a Milwaukee buffer.. not sure of the model.. but it`s a good one.

He said that he has wetsanded before, or knows how to.. but he said I should get an estimate on how much a bodyshop would charge just do do the problem areas. I have the doors, quarters, jams and c-pillar portions to do.. I can`t imagine how much that is going to cost.. but I think I"m going to drive up to the shop tomorrow to get an estimate. My bro.. said if it`s over $500 or so.. he will do it.. but I have to buy all the materials, compounds, polishes, pads, etc.. no biggie.

The reason he doesn`t want to do it.. is b/c he is afraid to burn through or mess up .. then I`m screwed whereas if a shop burned through.. they would have to fix it, no charge.

Or, I could go on my own and do it.. but that would be a mistake, really.. b/c my brother can teach me.

Thanks!

Bert
11-01-2007, 07:08 PM
No, never heard of a mirror glaze store.. THere is a retail outlet close by that is not a francshise that caries more that the regular auto parts store. I believe they have 3M paper. But, don`t I have to use some sort of palm grip thing to attach the paper to? I mean.. I know your bare hand is not perfectly flat.. and therefore not good for wetsanding. I`ll watch those videos.. thanks!

Mirror Glaze is a franchise store which sells primarily the Mirror Glaze line of Meguiars products. There is one in Louisville, KY. Probably one if every large city I would imagine.

Bert
11-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Ok.. I get a much better idea of what to do after watching those vids..

Ok, I have two options.. my brother used to detail cars as a job in the summer. He has good experience with a rotary buffer. In fact, he has a Milwaukee buffer.. not sure of the model.. but it`s a good one.

He said that he has wetsanded before, or knows how to.. but he said I should get an estimate on how much a bodyshop would charge just do do the problem areas. I have the doors, quarters, jams and c-pillar portions to do.. I can`t imagine how much that is going to cost.. but I think I"m going to drive up to the shop tomorrow to get an estimate. My bro.. said if it`s over $500 or so.. he will do it.. but I have to buy all the materials, compounds, polishes, pads, etc.. no biggie.

The reason he doesn`t want to do it.. is b/c he is afraid to burn through or mess up .. then I`m screwed whereas if a shop burned through.. they would have to fix it, no charge.

Or, I could go on my own and do it.. but that would be a mistake, really.. b/c my brother can teach me.

Thanks!

I have never sanded but the ones on here who have done so have mentioned it is a very time and labor intensive project so I would suspect you will be paying a quality detailer quite a bit.