PDA

View Full Version : Several random questions...

mattgg11
11-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Let me start off by saying that I am relatively new to this forum and have come from using nothing but OTC products to care for my vehicles. I’m not a professional detailer, nor do I own garage queen or exotic, just normal daily drivers. So help me fill out my collection and better use my current products, keeping in mind that I don’t want a garage full of products I rarely use.

1) In the Click & Brag section, I notice that many people applying Zaino will use one combination of products for the paint (Z2/5/CS/ect.), then use only Z-AIO for the wheels and possibly glass/tailpipe. Why would you not follow-up AIO in these areas with the products used on the paint? Wouldn’t this provide further protection?

2) I’ve also seen several people use Z-10 on vinyl/plastic/rubber, even though it is mostly a leather treatment/conditioner. Would this be a better alternative to the Vinylex that I’m currently using? (FYI…my vehicles don’t have leather)

3) Even though they are daily drivers, my vehicles don’t get nearly as dirty as some of the Click & Brag cars I see. I don’t have kids, don’t eat in the car, and use all-weather rubber mats/liners, so the interior stays clean. I hand wash the exterior weekly, so I don’t get a huge build-up of dirt/grime there either. On the inside, I just use a damp MF and a vacuum, then wipe down with Vinylex. On the outside, just a regular 2 bucket wash.

Does this process sound OK, or do you think my vehicles would benefit from using other specialized cleaners or APC’s?

4) I currently use Simple Green as an APC, simply because I`ve had it around the house and used it for years. Can someone suggest a single APC that I can use on most/all parts of the vehicle, in various levels of dilution? I would mostly use this for wheels/wells/tires, really tough exterior grime, cleaning all-weather mats. Or is SImple Green OK for my needs?

5) Finally, I do not own a PC or rotary, nor do I have any experience using one. The paint is in decent shape, but there are definitely some fine scratches/swirls/ect. In the spring, I would like to hire someone to do only the paint correction on my vehicles.

I would like to wash/clay the car beforehand and apply the sealant/dressings afterwards myself. Would any of you professionals be willing to do only the paint correction? If so, approximately how much would you charge for say a 90% correction?

joshtpa
11-02-2007, 07:17 AM
I would say, that if you think the car looks good, then it looks good. Meaning, if you are happy with it, dont spend extra money on other things. As for APC, tons are very good. Instead of an APC, I use Magic Erasers. they work good on just about everything (other than paint).

imported_weekendwarrior
11-02-2007, 07:58 AM
You really can`t go wrong by purchasing a PC. The chances of messing up the paint with a PC are VERY slim - unlike with a rotary. The PC is a pretty "Bubba proof" machine. It takes a bit longer to correct flaws with a PC, but the trade off is that it is a very safe machine to use. I was in your shoes a while back, and the way I looked at it was that I could purchase a PC, that I will own forever, along with a couple of compounds and pads for the price a pro would charge me for just one detail. Granted, I am no pro, but I have gotten pretty good with the PC in a short period of time, and am very happy with my results - and that`s all that matters!!!

SVT Amateur
11-02-2007, 08:09 AM
ZAIO is fine to use on the paint, just like all other AIOs are. I basically have the whole lineup of Zaino products at my house (I`ve been using them for years) and this past week I got a UDM and used my Zaino claybar, Sonus products to polish, then followed up with ZAIO, and then used some P21S wax. I would have thrown some Z-2 Pro and then some Z-CS on in between the ZAIO and the P21S but I had already spent several hours on the car and was basically tired of working on it. This week when I wash my car I will probably go ahead and throw on a coat of Z-2 Pro and then some Z-CS, especially since the stuff doesn`t take very long to apply.

EDIT: Just so you know, Zaino says that the ZAIO is great for paint, but it doesn`t have the amount of gloss that the Z-2 Pro or Z-CS has. They recommend using it as a base coat after you clay bar and/or polish for other Zaino products like the Z-2 Pro or Z-5. I`ve seen others that post on here that have just used ZAIO and their vehicles have looked great.

Stephenwz968
11-02-2007, 09:08 AM
I really like simple green as an APC, and have been having great luck with Meguiar`s APC plus for shampooing carpets and degreasing engines.

Steve