PDA

View Full Version : my 3M experience

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

White lexus 23
10-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Hello everyone. I was at the paint shop where I get most of my supplies the other day and decided to pick up 3M`s perfect it Ultrafina SE. I had heard someone mention it on here a while ago and decided to give it a try. The bottle was close to if not the same size as Menzernas and was about the same price category. Now I am still a little new to menzerna and I love there super intense polish. I have a black car and it works wonders. It takes out scratches and swirls better than any other polish I have ever used. BUT.. Sometimes it is kind of a pain. I don’t know if I am using to little or to much but sometimes it seems to dust. Which causes little minor swirls.:think: I also have problems with leaving holograms and buffer trails on parts of the car that are not flat. The car is a Trans am and has many curves. So anyway I look at the bottle it reads

3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ 3000 Ultrafinaâ„¢ SE - Quart

3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ 3000 Ultrafinaâ„¢ glaze & foam pads help eliminate swirl marks on painted surfaces, even on difficult dark colored cars. Use foam pad (PN05733 & 05751) as a paint finishing step after swirl mark remover. Wipe haze with Detail Cloth

My idea for the polish is that I will give it a shot after the menzerna sip in hopes of taking care of the buffer trails and holograming on the paint. The next day I decided to strip my car of any kind of wax that is on the pant and start out fresh to do a full polish and wax.

Step one wash with Dawn soap.

Step two dry as necessary

Step 3 wipe down with IPA in some areas

Step 4 tape off necessary areas and cracks on the car

After inspecting my cars paint I realized that not to much correction if any was needed. I was sure there was going to be all kinds of buffer trails holograms and swirls that might have just been hidden for a long time with fillers. But to my surprise there was hardly anything.:wow: Just some minor swirls from quick detailing and regular washing. The paint was squeaky clean and I felt good about the menzerna sip polish that I had been using. Knowing that it truly did remove the defects that were on my car and not just covered them up. I decided to do a half and half section to compare the two products. On one fender I used the sip and the other the 3M when I backed it in the sun to my surprise the 3M came out perfect just as good as the menzerna. I decided to finish off the car with the 3M. Now I don’t know if I used it exactly the way I was supposed to but it seemed to work well for me. I used a white polishing pad and applied a think circle inside about half an inch inside around the pad. Started to work it at 700 rpm then bumped it up to about 1000rpm worked it a little while longer and bumped it up to about 1200rpm. I was very happy with how much play time it had. It didn’t seem to dry up and dust at all. I was a little unsure if I was supposed to wait a little bit to allow it to dry to a haze to buff it off but I buffed it off almost right after I polished it with the buffer. I did section about 2 1/2 ft by 2 1/2 ft with the same process throughout the entire car. With the exception for the front. The front of my car has just a little bit more ware so I decided to use the same process with an orange lake country pad, which worked perfectly with the amount of defects on the front. The job took me about 3 hours of polishing:buffing: and the sun was going down. I didn’t have a chance to see the entire car in full sunlight to see just how well the 3M was working. I decided to wax the car despite me being able to see if there were any spots that would have needed to be worked more. I waxed the car by hand with zaino Z2 pro. The next morning the sun was out and not a could in the sky. I was excited to see what my ride would look like in the full sun. I backed the car out slowly and positioned it so I could see how it looked in the sun from different angles. And in all the angels I parked my car in the full sun. It was the best it has ever looked. I was very very happy with how it turned out.:woot: :heelclick

So for those of you wanting to give it a try I would say it 3M perfect it 3000 ultrafina se is a wonderful product that will take out swirls and not dry out and dust. Although I still love menzerna sip for its ability to take out imperfections, when everything that I had used before seem to fail. I will not stop using it, as it is a wonderful product. But I must admit that 3M was every bit as good as the polish I once thought was the best. I still have yet to text the 3M on defects that some would consider sever. But for the most part I will probably be using this product exclusively on my Black car from now on. It’s a wonderful product and I am happy I came across it. THanks for reading and good job 3M:hifive:

imported_rydawg
10-30-2007, 05:59 PM
I use Ultrafina a lot and love it!

stiffdogg06
10-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Looks like i`ll get some 3M now.

rydawg - what other 3m polishes do you like?

Also what kind of places carry the perfect-it line up?

imported_rydawg
10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
I have the whole 3000 series line

3m 3000 extra cut compound

3000 rubbing compound

3000 swirl remover (it`s so so) I like SIP way better

Ultrafina

3m SRC polish

I love the extra cut compound 06060. It does need a med polish like SIP before ultrafina.

I used ultrafina on a orange pad the other day and it surprisingly had a very good light cut and gave a superb reflective glow.

stiffdogg06
10-30-2007, 06:09 PM
I have the whole 3000 series line

3m 3000 extra cut compound

3000 rubbing compound

3000 swirl remover (it`s so so) I like SIP way better

Ultrafina

3m SRC polish

Do you like them all? besides the swirl remover? Where do you get yours?

imported_rydawg
10-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I like them all. I get mine at local autobody supply stores.

Old Pirate
10-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Try Sherwin Williams Automotive Paints, they should carry it and say that your a contractor ( not a retailer) for a better price............

imported_rydawg
10-30-2007, 06:14 PM
ultrafina on a blue pad will finish flawless even on the finicky black paints.

stiffdogg06
10-30-2007, 06:15 PM
I like them all. I get mine at local autobody supply stores.

What supply store or is that a secret since everyone always says they get their stuff from a "local supply shop."

Old Pirate
10-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Will have to try it out at the meet this Sunday... Hopefully someone will let me use their rotary. All i got is a UDM.............

Harry Houdini
10-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Products: Polishes (http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/products/list_products.cfm?cat=44)

Does not carry ultrafina :(

I have a small sample of it I took from someone a while back and I loved how easy

it is to play with this finishing polish, almost newbie proof!

One concern though with the ultrafina, it seems like a filler giving the amount of water it has "extremely watery" and the oils it always carries?

Any evidence that it is not a filler but a true eliminate polish?

imported_rydawg
10-30-2007, 06:44 PM
They are lubricating oils. I wiped it down with straight IPA 10 times and still nothing.

Just make sure you use a blue LC pad or the 3m blue pad.

I did a black truck for a wholesale dealer 2 months ago and it still has nothing coming back. I am pretty impressed.

Old Pirate
10-30-2007, 06:49 PM
The cat is out of the bag ( i was lost on this one) too many beers

imported_rydawg
10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
The cat is out of the bag.........

:welcome :laugh: :cool: no idea what you are talking about

Old Pirate
10-30-2007, 06:59 PM
I just saw your post : ultrafina on a blue pad will finish flawless even on the finicky black paints , i just learn something new today rydawg. That`s what i meant...... Thank you.......Even i don`t have a rotary it`s great to read your post`s and others true detailers too........Angelo