PDA

View Full Version : Is this price reasonable?

MattB
10-30-2007, 11:37 AM
I called a local detailing shop to see about having the exterior of my car washed/clayed/polished/waxed to get it ready for winter. This place has been in business since 1990 so I figure they know what they`re doing. They told me it would be $120, or $170 if I opted for a Teflon sealant that was guaranteed for a year. Is this about what I should expect to pay for an exterior job like this from an experienced detailer?

BobD
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
I called a local detailing shop to see about having the exterior of my car washed/clayed/polished/waxed to get it ready for winter. This place has been in business since 1990 so I figure they know what they`re doing. They told me it would be $120, or $170 if I opted for a Teflon sealant that was guaranteed for a year. Is this about what I should expect to pay for an exterior job like this from an experienced detailer?

For one, don`t assume since the shop has been in busines since 1990 it knows it`s stuff. There are a lot of vehicle owners that don`t knwo what they are doing and is why a lot of hack shops stay in business. Not saying this shop is a hack, just saying.

Just by them offering you a "Teflon" sealant with a one year warranty for $30 more tells me this is a shop to avoid.

My suggestion to you is find an Autopian close to you that you could take it to.

BradUF
10-30-2007, 12:02 PM
"Teflon" sealant? ***??

imported_Jakerooni
10-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Ask them exactly what does using the "teflon sealent" garuntee? Is it in writing? What kind of warrenty will they offer if the stuff dosen`t hold up (and it won`t)

imported_Picus
10-30-2007, 12:47 PM
If possible, I`d spend some time finding a local Autopian.

MattB
10-30-2007, 12:59 PM
They said it`s a Dupont Teflon sealant that has a 1 year guarantee. As for finding a local Autopian, I`ve posted a thread but there doesn`t seem to be anyone nearby. The problem for me is that I`m at college right now so I don`t really have a water source, making things a bit more difficult. But if anyone can recommend a detailer in the Williamsburg/Newport News VA area I`d appreciate it. I really want to protect my car against the winter.

imported_Jakerooni
10-30-2007, 01:38 PM
A 1 year garuntee for what though? Beading? Scratch resistence? fading? What exactly is it garunteeing. I see products like this come through all the time. None of it has ever worked like the sales pitch. I wouldn`t bother with it.

twitch
10-30-2007, 01:45 PM
You must have called this guy:

Using dishwashing soap is tough on car finishes. I`t`s not made to wash cars and is extremely harsh. I`d go to a car wash soap formulated for car finishes. Then clay to remove any other contaniments.

I found the R2000 the best sealant to use. Contains highest Teflon content and lasts for ever. Goes on and comes off easy. I`ve sprayed it on and applied with a orbital. Both work about the same. Loss of beading does not indicate loss of protection as with wax. Teflon can only be removed with thinner or sanding/compounding.

:laugh: ^^ this was his first post on Autopia. (taken from http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/98557-8-way-paint-sealant-test-5.html)

I agree with others and would suggest looking elsewhere after the Teflon 1 year guarantee statement.

imported_JoshVette
10-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I`d say yes, it is resonable, but I wouldn`t trust a local shop, too many hackers in there that don`t use proper techniques even though they say they do and have XYZ # of years experience.....big woop.

Try to find a local, maybe someone who has a webisite which explains there process and has pics and all the works.

Brian_Brice
10-30-2007, 02:25 PM
I know there are a few autopians in va beach, I remember you contacting me and unfortunately I was unable to assist you as I was in the process of moving. Post a thread in the va regional section to stir up a few guys from the beach area, you may pay drive time for the detailer but at least you would get the job done right without the use of frying pans lmao.

mixxer
10-30-2007, 04:35 PM
is the polish swirl removal or a cleaner ? big difference!

BradUF
10-30-2007, 05:51 PM
is the polish swirl removal or a cleaner ? big difference!

It is all in one and ensures eggs don`t stick to your car.

imported_weekendwarrior
10-31-2007, 07:11 AM
It is all in one and ensures eggs don`t stick to your car.

Which may come in handy tonight (Halloween) in many neighborhoods!!!