PDA

View Full Version : ONR wheel cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

willtothewong
10-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Hey guys, I just picked up some ONR to replace my car shampoo/clay lube/quick detailer but i was wondering how well does it fair against brake dust.

i`ve seen some other members just use lots of brushes to clean the wheels but is there another dilution i need to be doing or how should i go about doing it.

thanks in advance.

ron231
10-30-2007, 03:27 AM
Hey guys, I just picked up some ONR to replace my car shampoo/clay lube/quick detailer but i was wondering how well does it fair against brake dust.

i`ve seen some other members just use lots of brushes to clean the wheels but is there another dilution i need to be doing or how should i go about doing it.

thanks in advance.

While I still use a foam gun + pressure washer for customer`s vehicles, I use ONR on my own vehicles all the time and I must say it is a pretty good wheel cleaner; however it does not cut thrugh tough brake dust.

You could spray ONR ar QD strength onto the wheels before cleaning them, and you could even make it more concentrated than QD strength for more cleaning power.

imported_bigfoot
10-30-2007, 07:20 AM
I usually do ONR QD strength and a meguars deep wheel brush. Does the job for me.

willtothewong
10-30-2007, 09:43 AM
oh cool, its very cool how ONR`s cleaning ability can depend on its concentration. I just bought the 128 ounce bottle so i got lots to spare.

Accumulator
10-30-2007, 01:19 PM
I`m trying out ONR for between-washes wheel cleaning. I`m also using it at QD-strength.

While I use BHBs for normal wheel cleaning during a normal wash, I`m leaning towards different media with the ONR.

When doing a normal/conventional wash, I try for a dislodge-and-flush approach, and brushes are great for that. My rinse bucket stays pretty clean as the dirt doesn`t get transferred to it by the media (but is rather flushed away during the wash process).

Conversely, with ONR, the dirt seems to transfer to the wash media instead of being flushed away, and brushes don`t seem to absorb as much dirt as other things do. People who use ONR often talk about how much dirt gets transferred to their wash/rinse buckets. They view this as a good indicator that the ONR is being used correctly.

MF mitts (very plush ones) or towels seem to work well, and I`m considering trying out a grout sponge too. Media like these seem to really get dirty (and to transfer the dirt to the rinse bucket), and to me that indicates that the ONR is doing its thing.

But hey, I`m far from an expert on ONR, I`m just feeling my way and going with what appears to work the best.

willtothewong
10-30-2007, 04:03 PM
i see, so if i were to clean the wheels, the process would be something along the lines of:

1.) spray wheel with QD strength ONR

2.) agitate with brushes while rinsing the brushes in another bucket of ONR (car wash concentrate?)

3.) If necessary, use a MF mitt to mop up all the loose dirt

4.) Dry with MF towels

I hope this is right or else i am making a complete fool of myself :)

NSXTASY
10-30-2007, 04:41 PM
MF mitts (very plush ones) or towels seem to work well, and I`m considering trying out a grout sponge too. Media like these seem to really get dirty (and to transfer the dirt to the rinse bucket), and to me that indicates that the ONR is doing its thing.

But hey, I`m far from an expert on ONR, I`m just feeling my way and going with what appears to work the best.

If you go the GS route, take one and slice up the face of it much like the LC UltiMitt, then cut it into thirds.

Additionally, to clean whatever media you use for ONR, soak it in whatever car soap you use and it will release anything the ONR media may hold.

Even when I ONR, I use DG 903 Soap to wash my wheels and wells, then rinse with my pump sprayer of ONR QD strength (which I also use to prespray the body).

phil11
10-30-2007, 05:00 PM
I also wash the wheels with the DG 903 then move to the onr wash.

Accumulator
10-30-2007, 05:24 PM
willtothewong- While there are different ways to approach this, what you listed sounds fine to me. Dunno how well the brushes will work for you though, but maybe they`ll work better than they did for me.

NSXTASY- Thanks for the tips, cutting the sponge that way makes a lot of sense. Dunno if I want to soak the media in carwash shampoo (heh heh, I`d have to get something a lot cheaper than my Griot`s for that!), tossing the MFs I use now in the washer is just *so* convenient...that cleanup is one of the things I`m considering as I debate trying a sponge.

Just to clarify, the *only* reason I`m cleaning the beater`s wheels this way is so I don`t get any other surfaces wet and end up having to wash the whole vehicle (which would precipitate one of my hours-long foamgun-centric washes). Brakedust is a pretty nasty mess to clean off with this method and I don`t want to turn getting the wash media clean into a big deal.

PhaRO
10-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I use ONR in my mobile business. For months I used it to also clean the wheels, tires and wells. I used a 2 gallon sprayer and mixed the ONR 1oz to 1gallon (double carwashing dilution). On regularly maintained vehicles (1-4weeks) nothing else was needed. On neglected vehicles if I needed more cleaning I`d use my normal cleaners and the 2 gallon sprayer to rinse. Currently I am using my 12v pump driven hose on my truck to clean the wheels, wells and tires and then I use ONR for the car. Reason I am using the hose again is to use up a stock of wheel cleaners and it is slightly faster.

Mikeyc
10-30-2007, 07:01 PM
When I wash my with ONR I use a mitt (usually sheepskin) on the face of the wheels. For the inside of the wheels and the detailed areas I use a brush that I bought at Pep Boys. It`s basically a cone shaped piece of sheepskin on a handle.

willtothewong
10-30-2007, 10:31 PM
very informative guys, thanks a bunch

sounds like my plan of action will work :)

i shall try it on my car soon, stinking apartments dont have hoses, at least the one i live in

jedovaty
11-02-2007, 06:05 AM
tossing the MFs I use now in the washer is just *so* convenient...that cleanup is one of the things I`m considering as I debate trying a sponge.

I do that with my GSs.. and throw them in the drier, too *shrug*

joshtpa
11-02-2007, 07:13 AM
I think ONR does a decent job, but I use the Magic Erasers. I have yet to find brake dust that it does not stand up to.

blkgt
11-02-2007, 07:43 AM
After I`m finished with the rest of the car, I throw a wheel/tire brush and a MF into my remaining ONR solution....clean my tires w/ the brush and my wheel w/ the MF. Works great!!!! I love ONR!